Budda

May 24, 2000
You'll get a harder workout on a treadmill. I have both, and I alternate to give my legs a rest from running. My old geezer legs hurt too much after too many days of straight running!

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Its hard to beat a GOOD treadmill.I also enjoy elliptical machines,they seem to be the easiest on my bad knees.

Last edited:

wayneo426

Sponsoring Member
Dec 30, 2000
Sandbar, NY
I agree

I have to say, I burn more cals using my treadmill. I ride a MTB for my legs, but I dont think you can beat the treadmill for a good cardio workout.

Budda

May 24, 2000
I remember an interview with Rick Johnson when he was on a Honda. He said that running was like motocross, it pounds your body in a similar way. I certainly feel out of breath doing both!:D

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Originally posted by Tennessee Thumper
Its hard to beat a GOOD treadmill.I also enjoy elliptical machines,they seem to be the easiest on my bad knees.
I agree completely, got an eliptical and sold the treadmill... my knees won't take the shock of running.

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
Running burns more calories given that you are comparing equal workout times. However, I can ride my bike much longer than I can run, so I tend to burn more calories during a bike workout.

As far as treadmills/stationary equipment; hate them. Dress for the conditions and get outside. Fresh air and changing scenery make a workout go by so much quicker. :) Cheaper too! :cool:

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Okie,What brand/model eliptical machine did you get for your home?I've been thinking about getting one for over a year.Im really getting tired of going to the gym for my cardio workout.

Last edited:

skmcbride

May 16, 2001
If your goal is to improve your cardio and have it carry-over into your riding, I would recomend mountain bike riding or running on varible terrain (hills) or incline on treadmill. Keep in mind that when we ride our motorcycles it involves quite a bit of eccentric muscle activity (contraction as muscle lengthens) sort of additional suspension. So off-saddle conditioning should try to incorporate this activity since it is specific. The benefit of mountain biking (when standing and absorbing) and running to a lesser degree is that it involves eccentric activity. Stationary bikes do not, and is really not a weight bearing activity since your are sitting. Low intensity running can actually weaken your legs. Mix in some intervals or hill work after building up your base mileage. If you run, you should definitely supplement with lower extremity weight training. Once again, stay away from exercises were your feet are in the air (leg extensions, curls etc.) Squats on a rack or Smith machine and lunges are good ways to reproduce leg activity when riding. Of course the assumption of good technique and high rep, moderate weight is desired. Rope jumping and some plyometric exercises can also be beneficial. If you mountain bike, hit the trails!! I have friends that say they are going mountain bike riding and ride 20 miles on a flat "nature trail" and their butt never leaves the seat. Find some hills and bumps to force your self to stand and weight bear through your legs. This will transfer well to your motorcycle. I have nothing against stationary bikes, elliptical trainers, swimming or anything else that floats your boat and your joints can tolerate, but if your goal is for improved fittness combined with carry-over to the motorcycle there are better ways than others. If you are starting from scratch any aerobic exercise will likely help your riding. A good thought process is get healthy first (just get out there and exercise), then get fit second (try to individualize your work out for improve performance - fine tune) and then get specific for your activity, be it motorcycles or anything else. You will enjoy riding so much more when you are in shape!!
Good Luck, Keith.

Last edited:

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
here's another view....stair stepper, stair hard!..not a little walk, i find my legs get much more of a pump after 20min stair vs running, plus ya get a good glute pump. after the stairs it's off to the free weights to keep the cardio effect up, followed by the naut abductor. btw, after getting my bike and riding hard(relative term) i found that my work out up to that point was not effective for my riding needs, especialy upper back and forearms. i've totally eliminated my bench press:( .for alot more bent over rows with a free bar. damn...now if i could just ride!:think oh yeh, ps. don't make the mistake off assuming that alot of the periphrial muscles used for balance don't come in on the stair, don't be like one of those morons that leans over the top of the display and supports your weight while pumping you legs a total of 2", stand up straight and go hard, long strides.

Top Bottom