helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
hi guys,
i am a long passionate about trials but is a niche sport here in portugal, so we don't have many options. have been thinking in buy a bike for the last years but the trip to get one is very long. actually spain (neighbor country) have a big market and i may buy one there.
yesterday i came from vacations and saw a add from a street legal trial bike, '03 gas gas txt pro 280.
after contacting the seller i´ve done a 3 hour trip to pass by his place. nice guy and nice bike, i believe. the price is correct as well.
after a small ride (the first ever) i felt like a fish inside water. the very first time i lift the front wheel just to try i've made a ~200 meters long wheelie.
is a FUNNY bike indeed!!!! :cool:

since i now nothing about trials bikes and don´t know anyone who knows, any feedback would be great.
what to look for when buy a used bike?
the seller claim he has put a new clutch but is dragging a bit, is that normal?
rear suspension seem harder than front one but that, i believe is for sustain all wheight and still absorb some bumps.

the idle seem a little higher than i expect and i really did not wanted to touch the bike to lower it and it takes a very good kick to start it as well, stronger kick than i expect. the carburation seem a little weak on the idle and that may cause the hard starting(for me), is a weak engine signal or is the engine just like that???

the guy don't seem to know a lot about bikes and i know nothing about trials bikes but the deal seem to be favorable. the reason his selling is because he has some back problems and he cannot ride it anymore. the plate thing is very good as well.

i hate toni bou.. really, because he mekes it look so easy... :coocoo:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
280TXT PRO is a top of the range bike from 2003 and similar to my 2005 250 txtpro so should not have dragging clutch. They only have one clutch spring shaped like a conical washer and 4 gear sets inthe gear box that get used back and forth to give 6 speeds so 1st and 4th gears normally sound winey. 4th is also the first to give trouble so make sure you try it out. txt pro has very small gear oil capacity (350 ml approx) and if overfull will make the clutch drag level is by window on r/h side. rear shock is preload adjustable and has an 8mm head damping adjuster on the lower end. Forks have rebound damping adjuster on one side and compression on the other side. 280 should be quite grunty and capable of lifting the front wheel under acceleration in 4th gear any time from idle up. check air fiter (under seat sticker) and idle mixture screw and solid pulse from muffler. Compression sounds normal as in very much harder to turn over than any non trials 2stroke welcome to the fun zone of trials riding

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Pictures, we need pictures!

A notched clutch basket could cause that dragging. You definitely want a properly operating clutch on a trials bike.

helio lucas

~SPONSOR~
Jun 20, 2007
pesky,
4 gear is good and lifting the front is peanuts. even in 5th does not takes much effort, maybe just put the body towards the rear side and throttle it...
the clutch engage quite near the bar, the owner mention it as well, so it may be just question of adjustment. on the positive side the "feel" is very good!
i didn´t get what you mean by "solid pulse from muffler" :think:

gomer,
i understand the notched basket thing but since the clutch actuating mechanism is somewhat different than mx bikes i hope is something simpler that i am not aware of...
the problem with doing some repairs to the bike is, despite the cost of parts, i don´t have any dealer on my area and may have to travel half the country to get some... :whoa:
have to dig it further to check is there is any dealer on my area that i am not aware of...

two other questions that bother me is the fan makes some noise and have started around 2 minutes of riding from cold. after 20 sec or so quit spinning, so it´s working but the noise is quite loud.
after parking the bike there was some noise from the radiator, like despressurizing or something like that. have continued at least for 1 or 2 minutes...

thanks a lot for your help, i really apreciate it

pics:

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
My 96 gas gas jt350 used to stick the piston in the clutch master cylinder but that probably wont cause your clutch drag. The solid pulse from the muffler I mean is if you place your hand back about 50mm from the end of the muffler you feel a definite pulse/ thump at each riring to prove there is no blockage ( but as you mention the ease of lifting the front wheel you have no lack of power ) and your week feeling may be mixture screw or your newness to a heavy flywheel wher you get a forward surge rather than a traditional 2stoke roost. the fan comes on early and often and your description sounds normal and I am able to hear the fan start up on my 2005 unless I'm in top gear. I think the oil level is less than 1/2 a window at rest and 50ml of oil makes a big difference. Lots of people in New Zealand mail order there parts from England and pay by credit card for fast accurate service

Top Bottom