Tried of the 250F "ultimate bike" reference's

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
WARNING!!! RANT MODE ON!

I love my 125 I hope 2 strokes never ever go away, but I get so tried everytime I pick up a mag or read in the what bike do I get forum when someone ask's if they should get a 125 or 250F. Everyone just about always automatically states it's easier to ride etc etc it smokes a 125 etc etc. My point of view of the subject is some what different having jumped into the hype of it all and bought a '03 YZ250F last year. What a mistake! Life with the bike was hell, not as far as maintence go's. But I couldn't competetively race the bike, I was slower on the 250F that I was on my 125's! I started riding lazier and not attacking anymore. I could never get used to it's big top heavy feel nor the compression braking the bike just worked against my confidence. Down right scared me in rhythm sections I really hated the like on/off like hit. I think the only thing the bike had going for me was I consistantly holeshoted races. Start out front and work my way back threw the pack, it was just really fusterating. It feels really good to be back on a 125 I'm alot faster on it. My point is, don't believe the hype the 250F isn't for everyone! and sure isn't the best bike ever rofl! I think if everything go's 4 stroke use the consumer gets screwed in the end.

Joe #439 '04 KX 125 - "whoopie your on a 250F! how come I just holeshot your moto?!" :flame:

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
Yeah, all I can say is the magazines are all puppets for the epa and manufacturers. It seems to me Bubba, Reed, Carmichael, Langston, etc. seem to do not only fine but the best on 2 strokes. I do think it will be really sad if they quit making them.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
MXP1MP said:
I think the only thing the bike had going for me was I consistantly holeshoted races.

i just got an email yesterday from a guy who said the exact same thing. he went from a crf450 back to a yz250.

i have a buddy with a '03 yzf450 and he can't wait to unload it to get back on a two-stroke 250. he hates the damn thing.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Yay, here we go again!! LOL

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Rooster said:
Yay, here we go again!! LOL

Same boring played out rant, different day.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Actually, Carmichael is switching to a four-stroke. I think it's all a matter of what you're comfortable on. Personally, I like the tractability of four-strokes, but I also think two-strokes are just fine. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

kdxtodd

Nov 14, 2001
XRpredator, let go of the past? I assume you mean XRs :laugh:

Green Horn

aka Chip Carbone
N. Texas SP
Jun 20, 1999
ever one nows 2 stroks r faster cuz they gots a bigger pip.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Green Horn said:
ever one nows 2 stroks r faster cuz they gots a bigger pip.

Pips?! Ain't that the dudes that wear the big-a$$ mushroom hats, oh hell yeah, pippin' ain't easy

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
SpeedyManiac said:
Actually, Carmichael is switching to a four-stroke. I think it's all a matter of what you're comfortable on. Personally, I like the tractability of four-strokes, but I also think two-strokes are just fine. Different strokes for different folks I guess...

CJG

Nov 24, 2001
Sorry for the double post. I meant to say that I also heard that RC will ride the 450 outdoors :| . But, on a positive note, Lafferty has ditched his four-stroke for a 250 two-stroke(according to Dirt Rider). :thumb:

I also think the four-strokes are a little over-hyped. They're good bikes, but I don't think they're better than the two-strokes yet. I had a 426 for a year, and I honestly hated that bike. Not because it wasn't reliable or it wasn't fast, it just didn't suit my style. I guess it's because I've been riding two-strokes since I was four(I'm 31 now), and you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

I think the two-stroke will survive as long as there is a market and they aren't flat-out prohibited by the government. But as the manufacturers spend more and more on four-stroke development and less and less on the two-strokes, the two-stroke will become non-competitive. Not because they can't compete, but because the manufacturers no longer need them to compete. Of course there's always hope that a new technology could be developed to clean the two-strokes up a little. Heck, if that happens we may see a re-death of the racing four-stroke. :laugh: j/k

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I think Honda is probably making RC switch to a 4 choke. Otherwise he could have done it a while back. Anyway, he has yet to do a thing on one and I seriously doubt that he will come close to beating his two stroke record on one.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
mx547 said:
i have a buddy with a '03 yzf450 and he can't wait to unload it to get back on a two-stroke 250. he hates the damn thing.
Wasn't me! I'll get another 2 stroke 250 but I'll keep the big 4 stroke. :worship:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
OnAnySunday said:
Mebbe they'll come out with a three stroke and make both sides happy!!!!!!! :eek:
:whiner:
They do, it's called a GasGas. LOL!

wardy

2005 Lori Nyland Award Winner
Nov 12, 1999
There is about 35 thousand people signed up on this board. 33k of them can likely rebuild a 2 stroke top end and keep a bike running with out a "certified" mechanic. Likely there are approx, 10k of the people on this board that can or would be able to rebuild a top end on a 4 stroke.
The companies are doing the same dam thing to this industry as they have done to the car industry, "make you" take it in to a dealer to work on it. It really is that simple. Nothing wrong with any of it, but lets call it what it is, business.

wardy

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
I think Wardy is right.....Theres a noise problem with the 4-strokes, as well , very important over here....Its bad enough telling a father and son who visits the track before starting to ride about the cost of a new 125.....Over here theres a difference to the 250f of about 1800-2000 US $. In years to come there will also be the problem of 2 or 3 seasons old yzf 250´s throwing a cam chain on a kid/father that has just started riding......Over here this can easily cost as much as 3000 US $ Because of this Ive just suggested to our nat. organization that we start dividing the 125´s and the 250 4-strokes into different classes , so everyone can race competitively no matter what bike they bought. I know they have done this in other countries ....I dont have anything against the 4-strokes as such, but nobody gains anything from losing the 2-strokes , it will only cost more , and we will have fewer tracks to race on....

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Most non-racer types (the majority who buy MXers) like four strokes better because of the wide power band. Most seem to think they're just more fun to ride.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Posted by Mxpimp:

Its been doing fine it rules on the starts I almost looped it out on the start gate once.

Joe #439
03 YZ 250F

Top Bottom