Jan 16, 2005
Does anyone make an aftermarket upper clamp that fits the KDX fork tubes?

And does anyone else have the problem with their handlebars twisting in their bar mounts? I've wrenched them down pretty tight, but I assume the rubber grommets in the mounts are supposed to absorb vibration and allow the steering set up to give a little under a hard impact?

I dumped the bike pretty hard today on its side and as soon as I picked it back up, I instantly knew something was tweaked, I have a new set of pro-taper fat bars on there and I figured there was no way they bent that easy. Im using a different bar mount made by MX Bonz and thought one of the bolts may have bent but the things look straight as can be...any suggestions appreciated. I figure the stock cast aluminum upper clamp would crack before it would bend.

outrgus

Jan 15, 2003
i have done some cheap mods to my clamps that seem to work well, first i replaced the rubber bar mounts with some stiff rubber mounts from a honda cr250, i also replaced the top clamp with a one piece from a kx 250. These mods have stiffened the mount very well and i never have had my bars twist in the clamp since. I don't know if this trick works with the fat bars, but it's a cheap fix for the stock size bars. :cool:

Green Hornet

Apr 2, 2005
I put the upper bar clamp on my 220 (FRP) Brand and it has helped alot with the twisting. But when they do, I slam the bars the opposite way to straighten. I guess they were made to move so your bars don't bend

Jan 16, 2005
Thanks for the suggestions. I realize now on impact the rubber compresses but sometimes does not release giving the appearance that the bars are bent. I loosened the bar mount on the one side and then retightened and it was good to go.

Top Bottom