Triple duty KTM: Woods, supermoto, street.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Been thinking about replacing my streetbike with one of the 'big' Katoom 4 strokes. Specifically, I'd want to use the bike for both forest riding AND paved racetracks, and would like the option of being able to ride legally on the street (the forest is only a mile away). I'd probably go with the 525, so it seems like I have two options:

- Get the EXC, then buy a set of supermoto wheels, add the horn and other necessary junk and register for highway use.

- Get the SMR, and add the electrics from the EXC, then register..

At first the EXC seems like the easier route, but those supermoto wheels are not cheap and I'm assuming that the SMR comes with dirt wheels in addition to the supermoto setup, as with last year's SMC? I also note that the SMR has slightly less suspension travel which would not be a bad thing given my modest stature - I won't be using it on moto tracks as I'll retain the CR for that.

Realistically, the bike would probably be used 40% street, 40% woods, and 20% paved racetrack. However, I'd like much of the street riding to be on the small-wheeled supermoto setup rather than on dirt rims with DS rubber.

Anybody have any input on which is the most cost effective and painless route. Who else has done this?

stk0308

Oct 27, 2004
The SMR is motard(17 inch wheels) only. The SMC might be a good alternative, that it comes with both wheels included. But, as I understand, many of them were SX models. Which means a shorter stroke motor(good for more revs) but only a 4 speed trans. Which could be limiting on the street/paved track. I would think the EXC would be a better route. But your going to be really compromised in suspension, one way or the other, going from street/pavement to dirt/woods.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
What is there to prevent from fitting dirt wheels to the SMR? Different diameter axles? I assume the rotor diameter would likely differ but that can be addressed. I note that KTM no longer lists the SMC in their lineup, so I had assumed the SMR was just an evolution of that machine and offered a similar setup.. :coocoo:

Leaning toward the EXC at this point, but I'm going to go speak to the dealer this week and see if they can offer anything intelligible. ;)

Kav

Crash Master
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2001
nothing, the SMR come with two sets of wheels. one for sm and one for the dirt

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Went and spoke to the dealer today. They tell me that the SMR no longer comes with two sets of wheels, as the SMC previously did. However, everything is of course interchangeable and there's little to prevent swapping wheels assuming you have the correct supporting components available.

I will most likely pick up the EXC and subsequently buy a set of supermoto wheels from the aftermarket. To add all the electrical components to the SMR is seemingly going to cost in excess of $700, so I don't think going that route is any more cost effective. Plus I'd have to add in the cost of a set of dirt wheels, and additionally consider the fact that the SMR is a few hundred bucks more expensive than the EXC to begin with.

pace

Nov 21, 2003
My '05 525EXC was delivered today!

Just have an hour in the saddle so far, riding the jeep trails around my property. My initial impressions..

What's hot..
  • Componentry (Magura bars, Brembo calipers, Excel rims, etc.)
  • Torque. Brutal tire-shredding wads of torque.
  • Handling. It feels as nimble as my CR (bear in mind I haven't jumped the KTM yet).
  • E-start. Apparently I lack the leg to kick start the thing.
  • Ergos/layout. Immediately felt 'familiar'.
  • Rear suspension seems to track very well over hardpack.
  • Braking power.
  • The owners 'packet'.

What's lukewarm..
  • The saddle. Holy hemorrhoids batman!
  • Top end. I bet it's at least a few horses shy of my ported CR and is sleepier than the CRFs I've ridden. Given the intended application, I shouldn't be too surprised.
  • The forks exhibit some harshness and ride low in the stroke. I haven't played with the clickers yet.
  • Brakes a little grabby.
  • The saddle.

Nothing you probably didn't know, but just wanted to share. I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase right now. :)

Attachments

• ktm4-s.jpg
    ktm4-s.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 192
Last edited:

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Sweet!

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
Just so there is no confusion...the SMR NEVER came with 2 sets of wheels. The SMR is a converted SX...shorter suspension, 6 speed gear box and road wheels. There was (is) and "SMC" that is an SX that comes with road wheels. The 450 is a short stroke big bore as compared to the MXC and EXC. The 525 is the same stuff across the board except for the gearbox (and ignition).

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Yep.. sorry for any confusion I might have caused on the SMC & SMR.

Regarding the 525 variants.. The EXC has a smaller carb than the SX. The parts catalog also shows a different cylinder head and flywheel. Presumably these all account somewhat for the different power characteristics.

YZ165

YZabian
May 4, 2004
Fuzz......as in KTM police?

pace

Nov 21, 2003
Update: Comp to 16 clicks out (20 stock) and rebound to 17 clicks out (20 stock) gave a significant improvement in taming the pogoing of the front end and also helped to alleviate a nasty habit of abruptly tucking. Still not perfect on the latter, though. This was at my local moto track so I need to get some more trail time in the saddle before making further changes I think.

teamextreme

Apr 5, 2004
Sometime in the next year I'm going to replace my 300EXC. If I decide on a 450EXC 4 stroke, I decided it would be cool to get an extra set of supermoto wheels to ride around the street on. I quickly discovered the price of a set of these and started thinking about alternatives. Is it possible to get a set of junk-yard sport-bike wheels? Will they fit? I'm sure the axle width won't be the same but I thought this would be a good alternative. Anyone tried this?

Top Bottom