Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I overheard on TV the other day one of the announcers say Carmicheal is the only #1 rider to ever lap second place during a race... this is not true. Can you name the other #1 rider who accomplished this feet? Hint... it was in the 70's! :nod:

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Roger DeCoster reportedly lapped the field in the 500cc class at the 1972 Austrian GP. He was world champ at the time.

I got to see him race at the USGP, but he never did too well at Carlsbad.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Hakan Carlqvist managed enough of a lead at a GP at the Citadelle at Namur that he had time to stop and have a beer.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
XRpredator said:
Hakan Carlqvist managed enough of a lead at a GP at the Citadelle at Namur that he had time to stop and have a beer.

Given the choice between lapping the field and stopping for a cold one before taking the win, I'd choose the latter for sure. :cool:

Can you imagine that in today's panties-in-a-wad PC world?

Something tells me he wasn't on the podium drinking some nasty energy drink. ;)

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
dirt bike dave said:
I got to see him race at the USGP, but he never did too well at Carlsbad.
:cool: I too was lucky enough to see the man race at Mid-Ohio, in 73 or 74?

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Ok guys... I should have been more specific... this is for the US only... a few more hints... early 70's and the race was in Texas!

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Roger Paris on a Husky auto?!

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
JEEEEZZZZ... did you have to let the cat out of the bag!! :rotfl: Did I ever tell you about back in my day??! :coocoo:

Ok... the rider was the first in the US to lap up to second place... it was Gary Jones! I know it was correct because a good friend finished 3rd and watched Jones pass second in a "Lil Ole town in Tejas" and the track was/is called Rio Bravo... it's still in operation today.

I watched Gary this last weekend... he can still haul the mail!!! :cool:

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I watched Roger DeCoster race Joel Robert at Saddleback in 1972. It was amazing. Robert was fast and stylish, and he was drinking Coors between motos, but Roger won 2 of the three motos that day for the overall. Jeff Banks was there on a 500cc BSA thumper, and he did pretty well. That bike was almost as light as the two-strokes; if the factories and the public hadn't lost interest in four-strokes, a little development might have kept the thumpers competitive, and the four-stroke revolution wouldn't have been necessary.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Hhhmmmm... do I smell sabatoge... that's it! Jim made Joel drink numerous beverages so Roger could win... yeahhh, that's the ticket! ;)

JMD said:
I watched Roger DeCoster race Joel Robert at Saddleback in 1972. It was amazing. Robert was fast and stylish, and he was drinking Coors between motos, but Roger won 2 of the three motos that day for the overall. Jeff Banks was there on a 500cc BSA thumper, and he did pretty well. That bike was almost as light as the two-strokes; if the factories and the public hadn't lost interest in four-strokes, a little development might have kept the thumpers competitive, and the four-stroke revolution wouldn't have been necessary.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I would never have done that to Joel -- he was my hero and I wanted him to spank DeCoster. But I couldn't get him to stop guzzling those frosty brews between motos. "Come on, Joel, you Flemish lush," I said. "If you keep emptying those golden cans like that, Roger's going to put your Belgian waffle azz in a hurtlocker." But he wouldn't listen. He glared at me, belched so loud he lost a tooth, and threw a half-empty Coors can (12 oz.) that missed me by a mile. He never could throw straight when he was tight. Then he reached for another six-pack. And the rest is history.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Ok, know the truth has come out... just checking!

How are you Jim??! Any riding?? I've been riding vintage cross country/mx for the last 2 years... it's a hoot!! We will have a vintage race on Monday after the national @ Freestone - come on out. :cool:
PS>>> Give me a call.

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
I've been riding in the Kiamichis a lot lately. Dang, that place is rocky! But fun. We should get together sometime, for old times' sake.

Enduro_Nut

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
Sounds good! I bought an '07 300 and it's only been ridden 3x's through June... it's been screaming at me! :yikes:

I lost your #(actually my whole phone w/numbers!). :|

JMD

Jul 11, 2001
Alan really likes his '07 300. I've ridden it; it's fast; I'm thinking of getting an '08 250XC or a 450XC. Or I may just stick with my Gasser and my 450. I don't know. If I could get the Gasser's clutch to stop dragging, I'd be happy with it. I'm going to try ATF in the tranny to see if that improves things. I'll give you a call, so you'll have my number.

Top Bottom