Jeremy Havlik

Sep 10, 2000
Ive been trying hills for a while and im doing pretty good for the most part, but the one thing i have a lot of problems with, are hills with a turn in them. It seems that I hit the hill going pretty fast in second, and when I hit the turn I have to drop down a gear and the bike looses momentum and I am forced to down shift, and usually end up throwing the bike away. This happens all the time especially in loose dirt or sand. Any suggestions?
thanks
Jeremy

------------------

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
If it's sand then stay in a higher gear to maintain momentum and keep it from powering out.

------------------
The Original Speedster
1985 XR100R
1978 XL250S

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Don't be afraid to lean the bike into a turn, even if it means you're leaning downhill. If there's any berm at all there, use it and stay on the gas. Centrifugal force will keep you from falling down the hill.

We used to ride at a sand pit and it was a lot of fun to go 3/4 of the way up the hill and turn around. At first it was kind of freaky to be leaning the bike down the hill, but after a while you realize how hard you can stay on the gas in that situation using the hill itself as a berm.

------------------

Pumpkinhead

Mar 6, 2001
Originally posted by Jeremy Havlik:
It seems that I hit the hill going pretty fast in second, and when I hit the turn I have to drop down a gear and the bike looses momentum and I am forced to down shift, and usually end up throwing the bike away.

Try fanning the clutch before you need to downshift....this should keep the bike in the meat of the power.

------------------
(formerly XR44ME) Rick

AMA Member
NETRA Member
'00 KTM 300 MX/C

team-green32

MAGA
Mi. Trail Riders
Mar 27, 2001
Chicago
What i do is hit the hill in 2nd or 3rd in the meat of the power band. then if my momentum drops i down shift.

sand is fun because its very forgiving :-)

------------------
86' KX80 Gorr modified
99' KDX220 fredette modified.
83' RM125 Gorr modified

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I used to live on Long Island and we would ride in sand pits doing the same thing. The one thing that always rings true, is NEVER let off the gas. If you keep your speed up you should be OK. Know what gear you need to be in before you get to the turn, be in that gear and keep it on the pipe.

------------------

[This message has been edited by MikeT (edited 04-10-2001).]

Jeremy Havlik

Sep 10, 2000
These are all really helpfull tips. On really steep hills like the one im talking about, should I be hitting it in first the whole way and just staying on the gas? Is there a general rule like the steeper the hill, the lower the gear you should be in.
thanks again

------------------

Kramer

Jan 19, 2000
Not really Jeremy, because each hill is different -even sometimes changing with time. On a loose hill you'll need to carry as much speed as you can, keep trying til you find what works on that one. Then look for a bigger and badder one to conquer!

It's all a balancing act between traction, power, and balance. Be smooth with the clutch, keep it in the powerband. Try not to downshift while turning if you can help it.

------------------
Kramer
member BRC, AMA
98 WR400 Dualsport!

roostinbe

Mar 22, 2001
I would suggest hitting the hill in maybe.... 3rd-pinned, then as soon as your bike starts do bog-down, even the slightest bit... down shift do that as much as you can, then once you get to first, just keep it right in the mid-to-low power. That way, you will still have some throttle to work with. also, try to be controled and smooth. don't rider all radical, because this induces wheel spin.

------------------
Brandon YZ 250

Top Bottom