m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i have a 99 cr 250. i bought it from my boss 4 or 5 months ago. it runs strong ( knock on wood) bucks if it sits for a week or two. it takes a good 5 to 8 kicks to start. i asked him if he ever did the reeds on the bike, he said no. he bought the bike brand new so, they are the original reeds. could this be one of my problems. once it starts it runs fine.

also, i was looking it the v force system. ive heard that its a possibilty that i might have to re jet if i install that. what are the factos that have to do with if i have to re jet? thanks for all the help, thanks.

bwood

Mar 21, 2004
I bought the V Force 3 when I had my 99 CR250. My factory reed block was damage/burned. I think this is one of the most noticable/best performace parts I ever installed on that bike. It ran more crisp, more solid power and easier starting. I'm not saying this is your issue but if you go that route, you can't go wrong with the V Force 3. KTM 2 strokes come new with them. As far as your problem goes, if you are turning your gas off when you park it, the fuel may be evaporating from the bowl so when you turn it back on it is still refilling while you are kicking it. Next time turn your gas on and wait about 30 seconds then lean it over (past 45 degrees) and stand it back up. Look to make sure some fuel comes out of the overflow, then start kicking it. On my 99 I would also start it with the choke on (especially when it was cold) and as soon as it would start and stay running, turn it off and gently roll the throttle, not blip it, until the the cylinder was warm to the touch.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
As a top end slowly wears out, it is not unusual to require a few more kicks to start it when cold. Five to 8 kicks when sitting for two weeks isn't horrible, but it's not 2-3 kicks either. Since you bought the bike used, I'd take advantage of it being winter and pull the cylinder off and inspect and measure the top end. You might want to refresh it.

BigRedAF

Jan 9, 2005
2strokerfun said:
As a top end slowly wears out, it is not unusual to require a few more kicks to start it when cold. Five to 8 kicks when sitting for two weeks isn't horrible, but it's not 2-3 kicks either. Since you bought the bike used, I'd take advantage of it being winter and pull the cylinder off and inspect and measure the top end. You might want to refresh it.

As he said.

When the piston and rings wear the compression drops and so does the suction created by the intake stroke. This can cause a weak signal through the carb and hard starting.

I ran a V-Force in a YZ250 and loved it. It's the first reed system change that I could actually feel. The V force along with a pipe really makes a significant change in low to mid on a 250.

If your bike is jetted correctly the reeds shouldn't change anything, a pipe might require a change in the main.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i have a pro circuit pipe and silencer on it. to a previous poster. i do turn the gas off when i stop riding for the day. i usally turn the gas on and get on it and start kicking. ill use your advice next time. i also turn the choke off after a couple second of it running. and, i slowly roll the throttle and i wait for it to be warm to the touch. also, my top end is fairly recent.

bwood, did you have to rejet the bike when you bought your v force system?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Is your bike over a year old? Then replace the float valve. It can cause all kinds of issues from jetting to starting, to how come my bike fills up with gas after I stop.

m4i2k2e2

Oct 8, 2007
i tried that trick of turning the gas on and leaning the bike till i see a little gas come out. it started very quick. i kick through weakly twice then i gave it a good one and it started right up.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The defective float valve seeps to much raw fuel into your engine to start. You lean it over and dump the fuel out of you cylinder and into the pipe and it starts. Replace the float valve.

Top Bottom