Trouble with leaning in on right hand turns..HELP!

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
hey there,
ive been riding dirtbikes now for about a year (only pitbikes) about 4 months ago i decided to hop on a yz125 and race it. ive been doing ok actually, it took me about a month to get used to its size, and how to handle the bigger bike. I must say though that i can corner left FAR better than i can corner right. when i corner left i can lean the bike ALOT more and carry the momentum alot more than when i make left turns. when i make left turns i tend to stay up straight more and turn the bars alot more..why is it harder to right hand turn? any ideas on how i can practice or what i need to do in order to be able to make my right hand turns as smooth as my left? Thanks!
-Tony

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
When I had a MX class thing, we were practicing turns and there were turns like this

(_______
_________)
(____________
__________)

And it went left turn/ right rurn/ left turn/ right turn. I would get the left hand turn good, then I my frontire would slide every time on the right turn. Then after the 4th time of falling the instructure said to sit on the gas tank more, and don't lean into it as much. He said as I kept practicing my rights I would be able to lean into it more.

Dont know if that helps or not.

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
so sit more up front, and the leaning with time will come more natural? it just sucks cuz i can turn fine left, then it comes to the right and i cant lean to carry the momentum so the front is eather sliding out, or i turn the bars to much and i cant balance. but thanks for the tips guys, ill just have to practice and hope i can learn quick haha. Thanks
-Tony #422

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
IF your front tire is sliding then you have to get your balls on the gas cap to get more traction to that wheel.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
High Lord Gomer said:
One reason why many people have more trouble with right turns is that you have your foot off the rear brake when entering.

DING, DING, DING! We have a winner. :nod:

Meester Gomer is correct as usual. :cool:

It is much more comfortable to turn left because of the confidence of having control of the rear brake lever. The way to overcome this is to do most of your braking before the turn and then accelerate out of the turn. Or, better yet, practice brake sliding with your feet on the pegs until you are comfortable with brake sliding to the right and not putting your feet down at all. Proper usage of the front brake will also help when you can't get your foot on the rear brake.

Proper positioning of the rear brake lever is very important. Your brake lever should be set low enough that you don't have to lift your foot and hunt for it when in the attack position. Most people run their levers too high and have to slide back on the seat to get their foot on the lever. This causes you to lose traction on the front wheel. Adjust your lever so you don't have to change body position to find it.

Just my $.02

Sand_man

Jun 30, 2006
sweet! thanks for all the help, i lowerd the brake lever a little bit and it seems to be helping, that and just lots of practice. Thanks again
-Tony

Top Bottom