Trouble with new '03 220 throttle cable

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Two rides on this new bike and the throttle cable is hanging. It won't return to start. Added MSR Dominator bars and Moose handguards before 1st ride. Problem occurred after the latest ride and a couple of "Uh-oh, better find a soft spot" spills. I did not notice this problem during the ride - only after I washed the bike the next day. Removed the handguard from the bar - no help. Cable doesn't appear to be binding anywhere from throttle to top of carb. Could be something in the actual throttle assembly? Water in there somewhere (no pressure washer for me though)Ideas? Help?

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Any gum or paper residue from the sales or brand sticker on the new bars, beneath the twist throttle tube will do that. Definitly stay off it until you have it sorted out.

cadjocky

Apr 4, 2003
My throttle kept sticking and after replacing the cable, triple lubing the throttle tube etc, I found the problem was the cable routing. I put it outside the frame and inside the radiator shroud.

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
nope nope nope...Im not sure about yours, but mine is now a year old (an 03') and where the cable goes into the housing, frayed at the bend point. Im replacing it right now. Take off the top cover, and push your throttle tube all the way forward with th ebototm, and the top cover off, and see if it might be frayed.

Doest anyone know of any throttle replacemenets, that would change that 90 degree bend in the throttle housing to a straight one?

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
I'll inspect this eve or tomorrow afternoon. Removing the throttle tube to inspect could reveal "goo" or other foreign material that was lodged after unintentional dismount. *ahem* I don't think the cable would be frayed after 36 miles, but if I dug it into the ground or something it could have kinked it.

Original cable routing appeared OK - runs between bars and light, down through frame and behind shroud to carb (if I remember correctly). I'll post updates tomorrow.

Thanks for the help to a new convert (coming off a '97 ATK 260. Waiting on a pipe to get back some of that power, but man it's strong on bottom!)

K220

Jul 7, 2003
Had same problem a few weeks back. Throttle worked great when I last parked the bike. Couple of weekends later when I crawled on it, the throttle was sticking. I first disconnected the cable at the twist throtte,,determined the cable was moving freely from that location "downward"( process of elimination). Afterwards disassembled the twist mechanism and noted a misture of grease, dirt, water, etc was in the lower part of the throttle twist. Cleaned up, sprayed in some lube,,good as new again.

johnkdx220

Feb 6, 2003
Had same problem with my 03 220. Cable routing was wrong out of the box! (I love the bike but always remember that its assembled in Thailand, probably by 8year old children... anyway). Good thing I bought the shop manual.

Also, you removed the handguard.... did you remove the retaining "thing" that fit inside the handledbar. Maybe that "thing" was pushed down too far when you fell over and it now rubs against the grip.

Also, ask your girlfriend to buy you the cable lubricating tool for Christmas. Its a must and well worth the $. See http://www.lapdragon.org/~hondatech/cable.html

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
First, simply lube the cable. It's a good thing to do after a good washing.

Second, make sure that the tip of the grip isn't rubbing on the bar. Sometimes just a slight fall can make the twist-grip rub the bars.

Knobbyjake

~SPONSOR~
Jan 29, 2000
Are the Moose handguards the aluminum type? Maybe they're binding on the throttle tube or dirt got in the end and under the tube. Or the end of the grip may be rubbing on the guard.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
Thanks for all the help gentlemen. After inspection night before last, I discovered that the warning sticker on the throttle end of the bars (MSR Dominator) had deteriorated and was coming off. Looks like the adhesive and bits of sticker were the culprit. Cleaned off remaining sticker and used WD40 to remove adhesive. Works like a champ now!

Top Bottom