Sunflash

Feb 4, 2003
Well I have now moved up to a full size chevy and need to look into getting one of those bed racks that runs across the front o the bed and has tie down loops and wheel chocks but I need it for 3 bikes. Anyone got one or have any oppinions or sites? I am looking to spend as little denaro as possible.

B

biglou

I like that rack, Jeff. It's got me thinking... "Self, I bet you could build something like that rack that won't look quite as good and could easily cost twice as much!" ;)

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
Hey all, don't want to hijack this thread or anything. I drive a 97 F150; I haul one YZ250 and a couple minis once a week. Is this something I really need to worry about? I don't see any bending yet (fingers crossed).

los36

~SPONSOR~
Feb 7, 2002
I've had a couple of trucks and they both eventually showed marks on the back of the cab where the front side of the bed had rubbed. This of course is from the pressue of the front tire being pulled forward by the tie downs.

B

biglou

I carried both my big bikes in my 97 chevy for a couple years with no issues, and a few months in the new F150 with no issues yet.

Tennessee Thumper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 23, 2000
Originally posted by Psalm31.24
Is this something I really need to worry about? I don't see any bending yet (fingers crossed). [/B]

Psalm31:24,You can put a 4x4 across the front of the bed floor.The 4x4 will help support/spread out a lot of the pressure across the front of the bed.So far this has worked really well in my Tacoma,but I'd rather have the set up RMJeff has. :)

Last edited:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
My Ranger bowed and started rubbing the paint off the back of the cab. I figure since I spent the money for a new truck and plan on keeping for a number of years Im going to try and protect it.

I actually thought about building one but I dont know how to weld. :| Dont feel like waiting for a friend to get around to it.

Camstyn

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 3, 1999
I did this with mine instead. It is thin aluminum but I would think it adds support to keep the front of the box from being bent into the cab. It has no wheel chocks but I think that some little aluminum pieces could be welded on easily enough to hold your wheel from turning. The reason I didn't go the rack route is because the wheel chocks are solid mounted and cannot be adjusted side to side for personal preference.
truckbed.jpg

motoB

Mar 6, 2002
Those are fine and dandy, but I made one out of unistut and Forged eyebolts.
Also used L brackets and mounted to holes already inside bed (no Drilling!).
The eye bolts are mounted w/ strut nuts so I can slide them where I want.
All the parts can be had at an industrial hardware store very cheap. The unistrut comes in 10' lenghts, so 2 people can split that cost.
I will try and post pictures but am very new to this posting thing, usually just search and read, there is so much good stuff already here.

Brian

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
Pantaz,

How do you like the ProRack? I think that is the best design that I've seen.
How does it attach to the bed of the truck?
I like the idea of being able to remove it quickly if I need to.

Psalm31.24

Dec 5, 2002
For those of you with a rack, my F150 has a plastic bedliner that wraps up and over the front lip of the bed. Would I need to cut that off? Or can I mounth the rack over the plastic? Any ideas?

TIA

Top Bottom