TxCr250

Aug 24, 2006
I have had my bike now for about 2 months and we were loading up to go riding when I happened to reach back, shake my rear wheel and it moved along with some spokes. Upon inspection I had at least 4-5 spokes around the wheel that I could move with my hand and some that were just bareley on. I was kind of shocked that on a brand new bikes the spokes would get that loose with the little time I've put on it. So i went around the rim and tightened them down and tried to true it as best as I could. My rear wheel now has a slight warble. Nothing really profound, just noticeable. I was curious if this slight warble will have any real adverse effects on my drive chain,hub or disc break rotor and if there are any "how to's" on trueing a rim? I searched this forum for about 8 pages back and didnt' see anything so any advise/help would be appreciated. :cool:

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
TxCr250 said:
I was kind of shocked that on a brand new bikes the spokes would get that loose with the little time I've put on it. I searched this forum for about 8 pages back and didnt' see anything so any advise/help would be appreciated. :cool:

TxCR250.

There should be a lot of info on truing wheels in the search function.

It is not uncommon for spokes to loosen on a new bike. After re-tightening them a few times, they will stay tight.

I use the 'every fourth spoke method'. Start at the valve stem and tighten every fourth spoke about 1/2 to one turn depending on how loose the spokes are. Go all the way around tightening every fourth spoke until you get back to the valve stem. (You will notice every fourth spoke goes at the same angle.) Then skip to the next spoke on the other side of the wheel and tighten every fourth one just a 1/2 to one turn. Do this all the way around with every spoke then do it again until the wheel is tight.

This keeps you from pulling the rim out of shape. If the rim is wobbly, loosen the spokes and start over. Placing a pointer or dial indicator against the rim while truing will show you if the rim is starting to get out of shape before it gets too bad to correct. When the spokes are tight, you should be able to take your spoke wrench and tap all the spokes and they will ring at about the same tone. If most of them ring and one goes thud, it tells you that one is loose.

There is a little more to it than that, but this will get you started.

Good luck. :cool:

j32

Uhhh...
Jun 8, 2006
its every 3rd spoke,go around the rim 3 times,thats the one i used and it works,just try not to over tighten them
new??-- probably the streching that comes with breakin

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
Ol'89r said:
TxCR250.
(You will notice every fourth spoke goes at the same angle.) QUOTE]

Skip three and tighten every fourth one.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
I aint gonna touch this one. ( as far as offering advice as to truing wheels) Truing wheels is an art in itself. Take it back to the stinking dealer for warranty work. I've never had a new bike that I had the wheels loosen up right away...so the breakin theory doesn't work for me. Sounds like a bunch of BS. Either you really trashed the wheel on your own, or it came from the factory bad. Just my 2 cents. Check out the warranty. Good Luck to you!

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
dezryder said:
Take it back to the stinking dealer for warranty work. I've never had a new bike that I had the wheels loosen up right away...so the breakin theory doesn't work for me. Sounds like a bunch of BS. Either you really trashed the wheel on your own, or it came from the factory bad. Just my 2 cents. Check out the warranty.QUOTE]

dezryder.

This is not a warranty situation, it's a maintainance issue.

The spokes on most all of the new mx style bikes loosen on the first few rides. (If you ride them hard enough.) This is very common. After you tighten them a few times they will stay fairly tight but still have to be checked often. No bs.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Ol'89r dezryder. This is not a warranty situation said:
Maybe I've gotten spoiled, but my last two Huskies and my KTM have needed very little if any wheel maintenance. All purchased new.

The most wheel maintenance I've had to perform has been on previously owned bikes I've purchased.

I don't disagree with you, wheel maintenance is actually very important, and commonly overlooked until a problem happens. I guess that I've been lucky with my last 3 bikes because they have that nice ring every time I spin the wheels and ding the spokes. (And they actually spin true!)

That said, I also know how tedious truing wheels can be, and for the most part, don't recommend that average folks tackle the job. (One of those 'Don't try this at home things') I know several past ISDE riders that can change a tire in less than ten minutes, but leave wheel truing to the folks that do it for a living.

Top Bottom