Munchie1615

Apr 14, 2005
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and Im hoping to get a TT-R230 here in the next month or so!!! MAN IM SO EXCITED!!! Im trying to find out how much horsepower this thing puts out, I've been searching places and I just can't find anything on it. Dude I love the feel of the bike, I went to my local store and just sat on it (i've never been able to have one untill hopefully now), I've finally got my mom to break down a little hehe. To introduce myself, my name is Mary (im a girl obviously) and I'm 19. This forum looks like a pretty good find.

Anyways, if anyone can help me on the TT-R 230 horsepower question and any other good info about the bike it would be much appreciated, I'm such a n00b! :)

-Mary :fft: :)

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Hi Mary. I can't give you exact numbers, but 16-17 rear wheel horsepower is probably a pretty close guess for the TT-R.

lithium

Apr 10, 2005
Hi, sorry im not really answering the question here, but if your options are still open, there are alot of other off road bikes to consider for various reasons. Ive heard that the TT-r 230s front suspension basically just goes to hell after awhile. Also the bike is overweight for its power output and can even be beat by Yz85's. However, if you are a beginning rider i would say this is a really good bike because it is easy to handle and its quiet. It just depends on what you are using the bike for.

berudd

Dec 31, 2004
I am guess he is close on the HP number. I would have guessed 1 or 2 more maybe that is based on little or no fact. Mary, what kind of riding to you want to do? Trails and off-road or do you want to ride on an MX track? Also, what is your general body size? That plays a part in what you want to ride. This sounds like your first bike so let me recommend something. Find a clean used bike and not a new one. Especially if you want the TTR. I bought a new TTR125 for my son when he was learning and in no time at all he as ready to move to something bigger. He was only 12 then and at 19 you may not physically outgrow it but as your ride more you may decicde that some other bike would better suit your needs. If you buy a new TTR and want to sell it later, you will not be happy with what you can get for it. I bet you can find a 03 or 04 TTR that has hardly been ridden for several hundred off the new price. If after a year you still feel it is the bike for you and you plan to continue to ride it for the next few years then maybe you can justify a brand new one.

Bad front suspension? Hmmmm, that is a little harsh I think. Probably a bit on the soft side and not as advanced as a modern MX bike but that does not make it bad. Just be careful hiting those 80; triples! LOL! Depending on how much you weigh, you may want to put stiffer springs in the fork. Not sure how you are with tools, but this is a pretty easy DIY affair. And about 80's beating this TTR? Hell, were I live 80's frequenty beat 450s!!! HA!

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
The TTR230 or the CRF230 will make a great bike for a new rider as long as you are tall enough and strong enough to feel comfortable on it. If not, try out the TTR125L.

Sixteen to eighteen horsepower sounds about right.

My fifteen year old son recently rode a CRF230 and proclaimed it to be a "fun bike". He normally rides a modified KDX200............or my YZ250F :ohmy:

Have a ball and take a safety course if you have the chance.

:cool:

Munchie1615

Apr 14, 2005
Hey guys, Thanks for the replies! Well I'm about 5'6" - 5'7" and I only weigh like 135. I'm mainly going to be doing just trail/offroad stuff but I plan to convert it later to Dual Sport. I'm gonna be taking a safety course this July I believe so then I can get my M class on my license for when I do the conversion. But when I sit on the Yamaha TT-R 230 I feel pretty comfortable on it, it seems like it's the perfect bike for me. It feels really proportional and I'm able to touch the ground pretty good with both feet. I sat on the 125L today and it just seems like it will be too small and not have enough power for my needs. Yes this is my first dirt bike that I'll be riding and my mom is not too crazy about the size of it, just because she thinks it looks big and everything...What is it with moms, JEEZ!!! I already got some of my accessories coming on Monday hahaha, she doesn't know about it. But I plan to get it even if she doesnt like the idea of it. Once I show her that I'm capable and not stupid on it I think it will be better :) I'll keep ya posted~

-Mary

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
lithium said:
Hi, sorry im not really answering the question here, but if your options are still open, there are alot of other off road bikes to consider for various reasons. Ive heard that the TT-r 230s front suspension basically just goes to hell after awhile. Also the bike is overweight for its power output and can even be beat by Yz85's. However, if you are a beginning rider i would say this is a really good bike because it is easy to handle and its quiet. It just depends on what you are using the bike for.

Yamaha revamped the TTR-230 for '05, so its more competitive with the CRF-230. Not trying to put you in the wrong here. The older ones though CAN be described bluntly as pigs, or dogs. Although they are both cute animals!! Just my $0.02. Great choice, and have fun. The YZ is a really fun bike for when you start to wring the TTRs neck.

kevinfries

Sep 11, 2004
My friend has a crf230, and that bike has plenty of power for him to finish 7th in his first harescramble race ever! He is faster on his crf230 than i am on my xr250. So the crf230 isnt underpowered, and it has the electric start. It sits fairly small so you should be fine. I am 5'4 and i ride the xr250 which is a few inches taller. I would consider the crf230 of the ttr 230, but if you like the feel of the ttr better, get the ttr.

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
You may find the engine HP output in the WT block on the MSO. Often times the manufacturer puts the HP there, as the insurance requirements are based on HP in some countries. As you might guess, there are some bikes that are very light and have huge HP numbers. The problem is that this number often does not get input on the title. My guess is that the DMV departments have no idea why a number like 22 might be in the weight box, so they omit it.

Chris

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Keep in mind that the HP numbers on MSOs are crankshaft and not rear wheel, as you will see on most dyno charts.

AR15 guy

Mar 15, 2006
Rear wheel HP on the crf230's is around 16-17. I figure the yamaha ttr230 is very similar. I decided to get the Honda personally. I did a lot of reading and people seemed to prefer the Honda to the Yamaha. The Honda appeared to sit maybe an inch higher at the dealership. I went ahead and spent the extra 200$ on the honda. Supposed to have a slightly stiffer suspension (I weight 180...at 135 you probably won't notice much difference). I have also heard the honda is alittle faster but it could be BS.

I'd like to have something that flys but this is a trail bike...and it was cheap. I need something reliable and good on trails more than I need a screamer.

highmileage

Jun 17, 2004
Speaking of CRF230's here. The rear wheel horsepower after free mods (uncorking and re-jetted) is just a hair over 18 at the rear wheel.

They will work for someone like the poster and actually have room to grow. These bikes are capable of being modified and can consistenly and reliably be made to be 30 hp/20 ft lbs motors. The 6 spd tranny is actually pretty versatile also.

Many people have figured out the stock suspension, enough so that if you are about any size you can make the stock forks/shock work pretty well. For someone the posters size, all that is really needed is some fork oil, and some shim stacks of 1 1/8 inch stainless washers to make it work really good. Add a $69.00 RSW fork brace and the difference is truely amazing.

Check out the 230 project @ Off-Road.com

My friend's wife actually has a 230 with a Baja Designs dual sport kit on it. It is actually a very fun bike to ride and works quite well for her.

AR15 guy

Mar 15, 2006
BBR makes 30% stiffer fork springs and rear spring for the suspension also. BBR makes quiet a few mods for the crf230 actually. None for the ttr230 tho.

I know my crf230 took a hard fall on its first day of being rode but its fine. Didn't hurt anything.

destructo

Feb 24, 2006
AR15 guy said:
Rear wheel HP on the crf230's is around 16-17. I figure the ttr230 is very similar. I decided to get the Honda personally. I did a lot of reading and people seemed to prefer the Honda to the Yamaha. The Honda appeared to sit maybe an inch higher at the dealership. I went ahead and spent the extra 200$ on the honda. Supposed to have a slightly stiffer suspension (I weight 180...at 135 you probably won't notice much difference). I have also heard the honda is alittle faster but it could be BS.

I'd like to have something that flys but this is a trail bike...and it was cheap. I need something reliable and good on trails more than I need a screamer.

My cousin has an 05 crf230, Ive ridden rejetted, adj the valves and repiped it for him, I personally feel that the crf 230 is very cheaply made, it just seems like every thing is just thrown together, doesnt line up just right or youve got to take like a bunch of bolts out just to get the seat off, the frame looks like honda stole it from some cheap chinese company. Hands down the Yamaha TTR 230. Besides it just plain sits, looks, and rides better with the confidence and reliability of a Yamaha. ;)

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Once again, a simple request for information on a specific bike has resulted in an onslaught of recommendations for the most similar Honda. If you know what you want, go with that. All Japanese bikes are pretty well built, and they all have their issues.
Having said that, I think that 17 hp seems a bit high for the 230, the 125 is only about 7 hp so 10-12 seems to be more likely. Unfortunately, my usual sources don't have the power listed for the 230. Your best bet is probably to just ask the dealer, s/he can open a file cabinet drawer and pull the MSO to take a look. If they think they are making a sale, they should have no problem doing this for you. My dealer recently pulled a 125 owner manual for me just because I asked to look at he, he also offered to make me copies of the info. He knew he wasn't selling me a bike that day, but has sold me a few in the past.

Yamajeb

Feb 20, 2006
The "nameplate" HP is slightly less than 19 and a dyno will read about 70-75% of that so 14-15 horsepower delivered (to the back wheel).

I bought an '06 tt-r230 and I love the bike. It's been away from off-road for years - used to race both 125 and 250 class (back when they called it the 125 and 250 class) but I guess I'm "rusty". More importantly, I'm following around a future mx champion but he's eight at this point and riding a JR80. This bike is perfect for following him around on some of the local tracks. I weight +200 and I get a little air but the suspension does fine (I have bottomed it out a time or two). We also do some trail riding and that's where both of our bikes are most at home. I "uncorked" the bike and the power increase was fairly decent.

There does seem to be an advantage with the Honda for aftermarket parts, but I'm starting to see some ttr230 things surface.

Colpitts230

Apr 24, 2006
Yamaha TT-R 230

I bought a TTR 230 last year, and i love it. Its everything i need from a dirtbike. I do not race and all i do is trail ride. it is a great bike and i can get through the biggest mud holes (and ive gone through some big ones!) I am 5'9" and i fit perfectly on the bike. I have had no problems with the engine and the only thing i dont like about the bike is that the plastics scratch easily. It is an all around good bike, and it should last a long time (if you dont outgrow it).

tnrider

Sponsoring Member
Jun 8, 2003
make sure you can legally "dual-sport" the TTR 230 in your location -- otherwise you may want the equivalent XT225 -- the road legal version of the TTR225. negative of the Xt225 for trail riding is that it does not have a low enough gearing for tight single track and the clutch is more of an on/off thing. also it is a heavy bike (like the TTR) -- i think they both weigh more than my CRF450R, certainly rides like it weighs much more...

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'm looking to buy a TT-R 230 and I want to know if it is going to be a good bike for a beginning trail rider
Sure! The TTR 230 is very mello, low to the ground and well made. If you end-up wanting to move on to something more aggressive the TTR 230 has good re-sale value, if well taken care of.

Top Bottom