ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
I'm torn between a KX 100(properly setup for trail use), and the TTR for my wife. What mods would you all recommend for either of these two bikes to make them awesome trail bikes? Also is BBR the best company to buy parts from for the TTR or is there other companies that make awesome stuff?

Chris

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
I would get the KX100. Much snappier in the woods i would think. And i dont think that you would have to modify the KX much as the rider gets better. The suspension is better and with an FMF gnarly (i think) pipe you will get all the low end grunt you need. I'm not sure of the wieght but im bet they are both easy to throw around.

firecracker22

Sponsoring Member
Oct 23, 2000
I think weight is about 175 or so. Also, for trail riding, there are flywheel weights and large gas tanks available for them. I'm a big fan of the KX/RM 100s just because they're not as quickly outgrown as the TTR but on the other hand there are a lot of happy TTR riders out there too.

As for mods, there are a few items that other companies picked up and started making but BBR made them first and made them best. Especially the TIG and CNC stuff--cradle, swingarm, tripleclamps, etc. And of course the pipe. But I'm a little prejudiced--I used to work for BBR. :confused:

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
Chris, there ARE other companies that make TTR accessories but I have found out, by experience, that BBR seems to be the most accurate and has the quickest turn-around time.

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Here are some things I put on my old TTR125L: BBR pipe (added about 10% more power), BBR chain guide (the stock one breaks pretty quick), O-ring chaing, and I only re-jet one time after I changed the pipe.

When I got to the point where I was wanting more power and more suspension, I ended up with the KX100 rather than doing ultra-mods on TTR.

Mods that I've added my KX are: 10 oz flywheel weight, Fatty head and FMF TCII pipe, aftermarket reeds, and a 12-tooth front sprocket for trails (I use the stock 13-tooth for desert riding and track). Also, I re-jet constantly and I'll be on my third top end here before Reno.

Here's the thing... The TTR is MUCH EASIER to ride in the woods because you can lug the thing down to almost nuthin' and it'll still keep on crawling. Ya have to really learn to rev the heck outta the KX and slip the clutch to get the same outcome up a gnarly hill. That being said, the "fun factor" on the KX is incredibly high once ya get the hang of it. It's really not always easy to ride, but it IS INCREDIBLY FUN to ride. So if ya'll are still debating and your wife is a somewhat aggresive rider, then your wife might like to go with the KX. If not, then maybe she'd like to go with the TTR.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Awesome info guys! Iv'e had a lot of bikes, and my last one was a KTM 250EXC trail bike, and I have to say that when I first got it, I thought it was way too much of bike for me, but once I got used to it, it was way more fun than any 4-stroke I've ever had on the trails.

I'm hoping the same thing happens with my wife. I think the TTR is too small and not enough power for her once she becomes used to the bike. I've basically talked her out of the TTR, and she's only willing to have the KX100, so I've looked at a few options for mods, and here's what I need to find:

1) Full Pipe Guard
2) Smaller front gear
3) Skid plate
4) Hand guards
5) Flywheel weight or heavier flywheel

Do you guys recommend doing anything else for protection or necessity for trail use only. I'm also wanting to make the suspension more compliant for trail use. Do I have to change the front springs out, or can I decrease the fluid a tad to soften it up? Also, in the rear, when they come from the factory, it looks like I can soften the compression on the spring, which should be fine for the rear, right? Any ideas or comments would be great!

Chris

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
There is a trials bike (Scorpa SY125) with basically the same motor as the TTR125 which will have an accessory 160cc piston kit available soon - this may or may not make financial sense as I don't think that the upgrade is hugely expensive. Maybe worth looking at if you need to replace a piston at some later stage.

http://www.scorpa.fr is their home site, and
http://www.tryalsshop.com is the US importer's site

CJ Rider

~SPONSOR~
Apr 3, 2000
Hey Chris- Regarding your suspension question... I'm about 105 lbs and the stock front suspension is perfect for trails for me. I did soften the compression on the rear spring for trails and that works great too. Now that it's winter and our trails are snowed in, I stiffen things up (add heavier fluid to the front and compress the spring in the rear) for mx track riding. I totally cannot tell you how much I absolutely LOVE all the suspension that the KX has to offer! (Oh, and I thought I'd mention that I got the IMS enduro tank for trail riding too so that I can go on longer loops.) 'Hope your wife enjoys her new bike!

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
Thanks for the info Cj Rider! I'm really wanting to cover all my bases before making the purchase, and today my wife went in to the store to look at them. Tomorrow she's going to ride the TTR and KX100 to see the differences. I hope she leans towards the KX, so she won't outgrow it so soon. Who knows of the some good companies that make aftermarket trail parts to make this a more trail worthy bike?

Chris

G. Gearloose

Pigment of ur imagination
Jul 24, 2000
Originally posted by ravencr
I've basically talked her out of the TTR, and she's only willing to have the KX100,

Don't overly push the KX, nor mention outgrowing the TTR for economics too much.
There's nothing more confidence inspiring than outgrowing the bike you started on, don't deny her that. She may not be as driven as you, and has different expectations of this experience.

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
That's true, but she's just like me and after riding the TTR, she was very unimpressed and definitely didn't want it. So, today I bought her a brand new 2003 KX100 for $2900 plus tax. I thought it was a great deal! I also ordered a bunch of stuff to equip it for trail use. I'm really excited for her.

Chris

aedwards07

Jan 1, 2004
i wouldn't talk her out of the ttr.Alot of wifes ride them and love them.PRC has to be the best company for ttr parts.the only thing you cant get from them is the bbr engine cradle witch is a must.But if people with a ttr must have bbr parts they dont have to get standard gold color. yamahasantacruz.com sells blue bbr stuff.it looks cool.or you can call dan at bbr and he can strip th gold for you and it will be silver.heres some pics of my ttr before the yz forks and WER stablizer set up for the woods. http://www.villagephotos.com/pubbrowse.asp?selected=522086

DonkeyPower

Jan 8, 2004
Disregard the above post... I would edit if I could. Here are some places to get TTR stuff

Info got to: http://www.ttr125l.com/index.htm

Products got to: http://www.fast50s.com/cart/customer/home.php
http://www.xr100.com/

And other more obvous places like you local dealer and tucker rocky and so on and so forth.

flying W

Mar 30, 2002
By far the biggest bang for your buck and the biggest difference overall will be to have the KX's ports altered. This should give the KX more low end torque and luggability than the TTR while retaining the greater peak power. Another useful mod is to get some Boyseen power or pro reeds or a RAD valve.

Enjoy the new ride!

ravencr

Nov 9, 2003
theroyz71 said:
ravencr,

Did you buy from Alcoa Goodtimes Kawasaki?
No way! I got it from White's Motorsports in Fayetteville, TN, because they sold it to me for $2900 plus tax. They didn't have all the stupid little charges for assembly, etc. I will now buy all my bikes from him. It's a mom and pop shop with great prices and excellent service, and I would recommend them to anyone.

Chris

Top Bottom