MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Well no luck on trying to figure out why it is still bogging downlow. I open the throttle and it dies, but if I slowly open her up she will run! I dont think it is the carburation because the plug is perfect. Should I take the snorkle out? I have the baffle out but put the snorkle back in because it was just making my airfilter dirtier! Anything will help. The airfilter is clean as well. Just did it today for the New Vienna Ride on Saturday with the boys:p

Last edited:

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
We've discussed this before. I suggested that you check the accellerator pump. Did you do that ? Next check the pilot jet and low speed mixture circuit. All of the TTR's in our group are very clean off the bottom. The plug reading you are getting is probably off the main jet and has very little to do with the condition you are having problems with.......CRX

Dave'sDRZ

Mar 28, 2000
The problem you are describing sounds like it's getting too much fuel. Having the snorkle in would just compound the problem as the bike would get that much less air. What kind of filter are you using? A clean air filter can still be restrictive.

Jimmy!

Jan 7, 2001
The shop manual is the one you need. The Accelerator pump is in the carb. It gives a shot of fuel to the motor when you twist the throttle open to help prevent it bogging. If the pump is not working, you'll get the exact symptoms you have described.

You'll most likely need to take the carb off the bike & give it a cleaning, but try this 1st:

Just to verify that the acc. pump is not working, you can pull the airbox boot off so you can see into the carb. With the gas on but the engine off, when you twist the throttle you should see a small squirt of fuel from the acc. pump.

To do much of anything else I think you'll need to remove the carb from the bike.

Hope this is helpful.

Ensign

Oct 13, 1999
I used to have a TT-R 250. I could have sworn there was no accelerator pump on this bike. Not trying to say you guys are lying or anything, but I just don't remember one on the bike.
---
Brandon

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
The bike definately has an accelerator pump, but I don't think tht is the problem. My bike does the same thing and the accelarotr pump is functioning.

I was suppose to post the results of my jetting changes, but had to go out of town on short notice, but here it is....

No snorkel. No baffle.
Stock main.
needle clip lowered one notch from stock (2nd from the bottom).
mixture screw is about 2 to 2-1/4 turns out.

Bike still "pops" a bit with the throttle closed or up to about 1/2 throttle.
If a quickly open up the throttls from idle, the bike will bog and die. If I open it slowly at first and get the engine speed up just a little, then I can crank it open at it responds fine.

Throttle response is fine everywhere else.

When I ride the bike, the little burble off idel isn't noticeable. I probably just don't have a need to go from idle to WOT on the trails.

While I can definately live with the bike this way, I plan to keep messing with it to see if I can 1) get a bit more top end, 2) eliminate the popping, and 3) eliminate the burble off idle.

I have ordered a 140 main. I figure this will help with #1 and #2 above. Once I put the jet in, I'll mess with the needle position and mixture to see I can eliminate the burble.

Mag

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
Well I figured out why it does that! If you look at your carb face on, if you look to the left of it and down alittle bit you will see a little flower like screw pointing down. I looked at it and saw that it moved and saw where it was and it is inbetween the carb and the cylinder, so I was like, this is eather going to increase the air mixture or the gas. So I finnaly figured it out. It is def. an airscrew because the bike is getting enough gas as it is, so I turned it half out, and whicked it open, nothing!:( I turned it another half out and vwala, no more bog! I figured that was the problem but wasnt too shure. Hope this helps anyone that has this problem. I will try and get a picture of it up soon:p

CRX

Jun 3, 1999
TT-R - Glad you got your bike running better. The screw you are referring too is the low speed fuel mixture. In my manual, it is called the pilot screw. I would suggest that if you are planning on keeping your TT-R, buy a service manual. It would have helped you solve your problem and answer any other questions you have about maintaining and repairing your bike. The manuals are fairly expensive but I have learned over the years that a good manual will pay for itself many times over. I have a genuine service manual on every bike I own......CRX

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom