ttr 125 exhaust

jbenson

Oct 8, 2001
I am looking to do some mods. to my son's ttr125. Research tells me that the best thing I can do is open the air box and go with an aftermarket exhaust. Which one? I have looked at several web sites and charts and I still can't determine that one model stands out over the rest. Will an aftermarket exhaust "Really" make that much differance? He is racing in the youth events at the enduro and hare scrambles and I would like to hop the bike up some. I need some advice based on experiance, not from a marketing department. If the add-on want put some kick into the bike, why spend $300?

'00kx250spode

Oct 21, 2000
The performance won't necessarily come from opening up the intake and exhaust airflow - but from when you re-jet the bike afterwards.

Expect to go richer on the jets to compensate for the extra air you're pumping through.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Pro Circuit and FMF have affordable units, if you want the ultimate trickness, go BBR. I think no matter which one you buy, you'll see a marked improvement in performance.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
I put the BBR pipe on our bike re-jetted it, opened the airbox, etc...

Did I REALLY notice any difference... I don't know that I did. I mean your talking about taking an 8 horse bike to 9 horse. But on the "It just sounds better" scale of 1 to 10, the pipe is a 10. Adds all kinds of tone and makes your TTR riding buddie (non BBR havin') pretty jealous. ;)

I thought the BBR suspension springs were the best upgrade for the buck.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
The BBR pipe has a lot more top end and suits a modified motor. It is expensive and a bit of a pain when you add the YZ forks as the tyre hits it until you fiddle a bit (this might have changed our pipe is 18 months old). The Pro Circuit is also good, it feels like it has more low to mid, but BBR is better overall. I'm not sure about the disc style. A lot rave about them but when was the last time you saw a factory pipe like one? If its a racer bike BBR. Any of the others for putting etc.

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
ACS: Glad to hear I'm not the only one who had the tire-hitting-header problem. I had called BBR and they said they hadn't heard of it. I ended up running the forks all the way down in the clamps and it wasn't too bad. Have you found a fix?

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Stormer: You may want to play with your jetting. A one-horse gain on an 8 horse bike is 13%, you should notice a definite improvement in top-end.

jbenson

Oct 8, 2001
Thanks for the input guys. Some of you mentioned supension. I know some of you have gone with the BBR springs/shocks (or others) or the YZ supension. How does this help? Does it simply make the bike handle better or does it actually help to increase the power output of the bike?

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
MXFastGuy,

I re-jetted it as well, and I'm sure it's fine. I was just trying to point out that nothing you do to the bike will magically have you cranking 18 horse. ;)

MXFastGuy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 11, 2001
Ain't that the truth! A stock KX65 will walk away from a modded TT-R! (the TT-R's a bunch more fun, though! :) )

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
MXfastGuy: I havent found a solution just yet as it was first race with new forks and shock. I'm reluctant to move forks down in clamps as the geometry was sorted out with the shock/fork set up. I looked at a Procircuit and at the $$ i'm thinking of reducing the thickness of the gasket in the head/pipe to a thin copper washer and notching the pipe where it will interfere with the frame/cradle. Other option is altering the bend in the pipe by a heating and bending down. Thing is i dont want to destroy the finish. The Procircuit clears easily but power is not as good. Mine is raced by the boy in junior MX down here.

A KX65 walk away. :eek: No way..... You are not doing the "right" mods. :p

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
jbenson: The suspension is pretty bad on a stocker even for little kids. The BBR springs help and I gather Linstron (?) (They are a link off SocalXR's ) do even heavier ones. One of the guys on Thumpertalk was sorting something out. The YZ set up is fantastic but gets expensive. I have a custom shock as well. A stock motor one with the YZ setup is a lot faster as you can use all the motor. Better suspension can easily translate into faster lap times as you dont get pounded. Pic of the shock here

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…