rrw17

Oct 26, 2001
:think Wife and I are going to get dirt bikes for casual trail and woods riding in Michigan. She's 44, 110 lbs, in good shape, and hasn't been on a "dirt" bike since that old Honda 90, 29 years ago. The TTR-225 feels bulky and heavy to her. The XR100 too small. The XR200 too tall (on her tippy toes). The TTR-125L seems to fit, but will she outgrow it after one ride? :eek: (We have Honda/Yamaha dealer in town. And I'm getting an XR400).

Girlrider

Sep 1, 2000
Not to over emphasize the Gas Gas Pampera but that is the way to go. I will recommend it to all petite women. I has these cool little flexible brake lights and head light that you hardly notice but would come in handy if she want's to ride it around town. It is light, short and has the perfect smooooth power delivery. Enough said, check it out at www.gasgas.com.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
rrw17,

a few things:

Do NOT get the tt-r225. No one should ride that thing. Way too heavy - especially for a 110 pounder.

When Wendy (my wife) (who had NEVER riden a motorcycle before) was looking for a bike she ended up with the tt-r125L. It has served her well and she has been able to learn quite a bit from it. Wendy is about the same as your wife in the weight & age category. Height = 5' 4.5" (i don't know why she insists on that 1/2" thing). She is ever so slightly cramped on a stock tt-r125L. Sounds like your wife may be just a bit shorter than Wendy as you stated that she is on her tippy toes on an XR200. So the tt-r125L should fit her nicely. Make sure that she sits on and rides any bike before buying.

Wendy now has her sights set on the GG Pampera 250. She has ridden it several times and really likes it. It fits her much better ergomonically than the tt-r125L too.

Is your wife wanting to get a bike or are you wanting to get a bike for her? If you are wanting to get a bike for her then i would get the tt-r125L as it costs less and is really a great bike. If it is she who wants the bike (like my wife who bought a bike before i even owned one) then let her ride both the Pampera and tt-r125L and decide. To me the Pampera feels almost like a four stroke in its power delivery.

You will have great times in the future either way. I ride with my buddies quite a bit, but my wife is my favorite riding partner.:)

Robyn

Oct 15, 2000
I am a 5'4" woman, who until last week rode a TTR125L with a 150 kit. I also put just about every BBR aftermarket part available for the TTR125 on my bike. I did that because I was just a little too tall. I also had my seat custom made, so more padding could be added for height. I had really enjoyed my bike, until I rode my husband's GasGas Pampera. I ordered one for myself this weekend. The TTR is a great bike to learn on, but the Pampera fits me alot better. The TTR is now our pit bike.

DirtFamily

Jan 2, 2002
Pampera all the way

I am also a 5' 4" woman (turn 40 this year, been riding for 4 years).

I took delivery of my 280 Pampera last week. I had a chance to ride CJ Rider's and I fell in love with it.

I learned on a KLX 250 4 stroke, then rode 2 CR250's and a YZ250. BUT, we ride mostly in the mountains on trails and having to feather the clutch and keep it wound up was very wearing...plus my feet were 4" from touching ground!! I learned a lot, but I always felt that the bike would take control if I let my guard down at any time.

I *love* my Pampera - because of the weather, haven't done more than take it to the local track, but man oh man, it's going to be a nice mountain machine!
Bark busters, new pipe w/ spark arrestor, and jetting on order.

Katie

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Katie

You should chase Dale Malasek up at Gas Gas for the turn signals and mirror, otherwise pick up some cheap turn signals at your local dealer. The Pampera has all the wiring in place, so you just need to bolt on the turn signals, add a cheap mirror, and away you go, get the plate and you have a viable dual sport. All extras should cost you about $70 at most.

Alan

DirtFamily

Jan 2, 2002
Alan,

I took the mirrors off and i'm getting one of those fold-away mirrors for enduros, but not sure if I want to license it - have to look into the rules for CO - It would be funny to show up on the Pampera for my motorcycle endorsement test! ;) My dealer said they decided not to put on turn signals because they weren't trying to sell it as a dual sport....beats me....I kinda like those funny rubbery signals!:confused:

I also found someone to make me a skid plate if I decide on one!

Katie

MCNut

Nov 20, 2001
US Customs made Dale remove the turn signals from a shipment of Pamperas before they would release them. I’m not sure if this was a one time deal with a pissy Customs inspector or an ongoing deal with all future shipments. Email Dale at Gas Gas USA and ask if he has any takeoffs available. They may have made him destroy them. If he can’t help I have an extra set.

If your Pamera was delivered without turn signals check to see if Dale cut the wires or unplugged them at the connector. If he cut them as he did mine, I recommend unplugging the remaining pigtails because they have bare wire ends and taping up the connectors with electrical tape. If you run without signals you can also remove the large flasher unit under the right side panel.

rrw17, IMHO you should at least checkout the GG Pampera 250!

Happy Trails,
Bruce
:cool:

Robyn

Oct 15, 2000
Bruce

Since I am new to this site and to the Gas Gas Pampera, would you please explain who Dale is? Is he someone to contact with questions about the Pampera? I also received mine without the turn signals.

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
Robyn,

Did you get the 250 or the 280 Pampera? Who did you buy it from?

Just asking because my wife is planning on purchasing one in the near future.

MCNut

Nov 20, 2001
Robyn,
Sorry, Dale Malasek is the president of GAS GAS USA, INC. the US importer of GG trials bikes and the Pampera.

Gas Gas USA
7801 Eastside Drive, Kansas City, MO 64152
Phone (816) 741-7615
Fax (816) 746-5570
http://www.gasgas.com/

The parts are imported by Rising Sun Imports Inc., owned by Jim Snell (219) 474-6656.

Both will answer the phone or return a message and are knowledgeable about the Pampera model.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I dealt with Dale when my P280 came into the country, Gas Gas USA had to remove all the turn signals before they could clear customs, I insisted that they send the turn signals and mirror with the bike as I had ordered it this way. I don't know if you will be able to get a new Pampera with the signals. If they have them, ask that they send them with your bike. If all else fails, I saw some really neat rubber mounted turn signals at my dealer yesterday and they sell for $15 a pair, which means that if you still have the wiring, you should be able to get the bike back on the road for a minimal amount.

Alan
Bundu

Robyn

Oct 15, 2000
KelvinKDX

I bought my bike at Beaver Creek Cycle in Lisbon, Ohio. He is the only dealer close to me. As a matter of fact, we have a second one on order right now. The first Pampera 250, was a Christmas present to my husband. After I rode it, I couldn't wait to buy my own. I love it!!!

Thanks Bruce for the information.

Robyn

Oct 15, 2000
One more thing, KelvinKDX, I have the Pampera 250, but we are expecting a 280 this time. It is my understanding the 280 is all that is being made now.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Your hubby will love the 280, a little bit harder to start witha bit more low down power. The 280 is for the US market only, for now. I am sure if somebody wanted the 250 Dale Malasek from Gas Gas USA would make a plan.

Alan

Last edited:

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I had heard rumors that the 280 may be the only option but nothing to substantiate it. According to Laura at the Trials Training Center it was still possible to get the 250. If anyone knows for sure i would appreciate the info as i think the 250 would be better for Wendy.

MCNut

Nov 20, 2001
I hope they continue to import the 250 because it is much easer to kick over then the 280 and runs very well. As Bundu suggested the 280 has a little more bottom and a touch more mid range power then the 250. the 320 (no longer built) was all botton/mid and little top end. Too my butt all three are about equal in top end power and speed!:eek:
Buce

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
I just got off of the telpehone w/ Dale Malasek (president of GAS GAS USA, INC. the US importer of GG trials bikes and the Pampera). He stated that he imports both the 250 & 280 Pampera. He says that he by far sells more 280's than 250's but that there is no stoppage of the 250 to the USA.

He aslo stated that he has a shipment of 28 bikes coming in in the next few weeks. 22 280's and 6 250's. (see the almost 4:1 ratio thing)

He also informed me that the US DOT makes GG remove the turn signals now as they leave the factory. When the bikes show up in the US the are sans turn signals. :mad:

Not that i would probably ever use the damn things - but it does piss me off that this is done. If someone wants them they will put a set on anyway. I do not see the cost of the bike being reduced by the cost of the turn signals.

btw: Dale's e-mail is gasusa@qni.com if you need to ask him any questions. Seems like a pretty helpful guy.

That's my update.

Last edited:

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Jim, I think I got lucky because the signals were on my bike when they came into the country, they had to take them off to get the bikes through customs, but still managed to forward the signals with the bike. It looks like that $50 saving is not being passed on to the buyers :mad:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
Two new ttr-125L's just arrived on the dock today for two of my friends. Both of these girls are almost 5'2" and they are thrilled. They were both learning to ride on my old xr200. The bikes are adorable but I'm going to feel like a giant riding with them. I'm 5'8" on a YZ125. I'll look like momma bird with two baby birds following.

1CrashnChick

Apr 15, 2002
We have 2 teenage girls and we got them both TTR's 1 is a 125L and the other is a 125. They seem to be the perfect bike for them and even though they are both about the same height one perferred the smaller one...They are about 5'5" and 105-110lbs I dont think they will be outgrowing them we will just be adding performance parts as there riding level increases

Top Bottom