KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
Would like to get some experienced comparison / contrast between the Honda XR200R and the Yamaha TTR125L. I can't seem to find horsepower or torque ratings for these bikes either. How do they compare in stock form and with mods applied. Not wanting to spend a lot on the mods but if you get a lot from any individual one I might take a look. Thanks for helping me choose. The bike will be used as a play bike and a loaner to take friends riding.

XRBiker220

Feb 25, 2001
i have a xr200 and think it is a greaty bike justy take out the baffle and the snorkle and they have plenty power for anyone under 180 lbs. i never rode a ttr125 but i think that the 200 is really nice it has a nice soft suspention for trails but not jumps

dj

Jun 7, 2000
i myself own a XR200R. the power is great for me although the suspension is not the greatest. the suspension sucks because i am trying to do the same things that a friends YZ400F can do. the TTR made for smaller people. as for mods the XR has more to offer you can find mods fairly easy.

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
I can't believe with all the folks on this site that all I can get is two responses. I appreciate them but I would like more. I read so much on here about the TTR125L and I need more info and no one will respond. I know that this information is available I just need you to share it.

Joe Turner

Jan 1, 2001
Your question is kind of general so it's tough for people to respond with useful info. You might want to ask more specifc questions about the two bikes and you are bound to get more feedback.

Check Kali's site for info on the TTR125L http://www.ttr125l.com/

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
Although both bikes are popular, not many experienced riders have ridden both, since they're considered "beginner" bikes in most circles.

Don't get angry because people don't choose to respond to your request. You won't catch many friends that way.

Anyway, I have ridden both, in stock and modified form.

Here's my take - the XR 200 is the better of the two if you're tall enough to ride it. The bike is designed for small adult riders. The stock horsepower is about 10 - 11. Modifications can make this a great trail bike, and there's lots of guys who chose this bike for tight, nasty mud riding.

Engine modifications can bring the hp of the 200 up to about 20, the same as an XR250. At this point, they're a very strong and fun bike. Unfortunately, the chassis isn't very good for aggressive fast riding (too flexy). Suspension components can be changed and the ride is better, but still not as good as a stock XR250.

The TTR125 is built for a smaller rider in mind. Although BBR components can be added to make the bike fun to trail ride for someone under 5'4", or for taller riders in motocross.

The engine is good, stock horsepower is about the same as a stock XR100 (8hp), just a little more lively. The engine can be easily modified (with a Powroll 150cc kit and cam) to put out a respectable 15 - 17 hp.

Now, how about giving up a little more information? What type of rider, what height, how much riding experience? Where will you be riding? What do you expect out of a bike?

A little more information from you will bring more information from the excellent group of people on this forum.

Lorin

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 25, 1999
I would have to agree with the above post. I have ridden a ttr125, and it is a nice little bike. I own an XR200 and thoroughly enjoy riding it when I can pry it away from my girlfriend. I have put on some larger forks and a disk brake from an xr 250, and this has improved it measurably. Other than that, I have replaced the stock air filter with a Uni filter (less restrictive), removed the intake snorkle and exhaust baffle and played with the jetting. For about $30, the bike has really awakened a litte. It is a little taller and probably a little heavier, but the fun factor is way up there. On a muddy, easy day I would almost choose this bike over my regular steed. It is soooo much fun to just pin the little red monster and throw it around the trail. I now know why the xr continues to sell every bike they make. For a beginner, loaner, etc., this bike gets a lot of "it" done.

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
Thanks for the informative replies. These are exactly what I am looking for. Didn't mean to sound harsh in my last reply. I think the world of this site and its members. I will use the bikes as play/loaner to friends to ride usage. I like the disc brake on the Yamaha and the ability to get BBR parts but was worried about the power. I will also use either one of these to trail ride with my kids. I ride SERA Enduros and Hare Scrambles on a 250EXC. The 200 just seems to be heavy to be labled as a throw around bike for muddy situations. I agree that you can pin the gas and not worry but the weight is rather porky. As for the suspension I must do something. I am 6'0 190 and the front will bottom easily. Do you recommend adding air or changing the fluid to a higher viscosity and possibly changing the springs. May also need to look at a rear spring but I don't want to make it too harsh for my wife 108 pounds or friends in the 150 range. I know I am asking it too suit I wide range but will probably try to hit the middle. Would really like to lose some weight though. As a additional question how much trouble would it be to put the motor in a CR80 Expert or CR125 chassis? I know there are companies that do this but I don't really want to spend the $2,500 to do it. Just wondered if it was feasible to be done as a home project.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Chris

The XR200 would be pretty rideable by anybody above 14 -15 yo and you dont really have to do anything to them other than airbox, baffle and minor jetting. They are heavy compared to the TTR and a lot taller but fun factor for somebody who can ride is really high. It will be flat out all the time with the biggest grin on the rider.

The TTR is better for younger / shorter riders and maybe those not physically strong. It needs heavier front springs before it gets ridden like Kali said ( plus bars to replace the standard stuff that all jap bikes have from the factory). Grin factor is probably higher than the XR as they are so easy to start, pick up if dropped, reasonably fast...... The rest of the mods just make it even more fun.

Go fast stuff for the XR is easy to get here in Australia, I imagine the same for you in the States. For TTR stuff most Aussie dealers say ..... What?

Ryans has got most stuff on his TTR and he reckons its better than his KX. He liked it stock and likes it even more now its modified. His MX results are pretty good to. :)

Fergy

Apr 12, 2001
Chris,

Haven't ridden anXR200 but I can speak for the TTR-125. I purchased the TTR a few months back for my son who weighs in at 65 lbs(wet). He's successfully made the transition from the PW80 to the TTR-125.
Not leaving well enough alone, I installed the BBR pipe, graphics/seat, Taper bars, rejetted the carb and opened the air box. The pipe and carb really improved the bike's power and performance. As for the suspension, well even at 65 lbs. my son bottoms out on the front forks. He's at that age (SETH) were he's gota jump everything in site. He gets big air on a number of the doubles and table tops at Hollister Hill (CA.)
The only real limitation I see with my son's bike is the suspension. I've order the BBR springs to remidie the situation, so we'll see.

dirtbike59

Sponsoring Member
Oct 12, 2000
Chris,

I own a 93 XR200 I love it but I am selling it because I am too tall for it and I want to go to a RMX 250. I xr will do good with some better springs. as for power remove the airbox top cover and put a aftermarket air filter and jetting. I found the bike to work better in trails to very rocky :p . I have not had any problems it will start on a first kick. as for the ttr I ride with a friend with one and he can't do as much with that as you can with the xr.

KTM CHRIS

~SPONSOR~
Nov 6, 2000
Got a two for one deal. I found a 1994 XR200 and a 2000 XR200 for a total of $3,300. So I'll take the '94 and experiment with it and keep the '00 looking like new and use it to tide with the kid's. May let go of one of them later and pick up a 125L or possibly use the money from it to upgrade my child to a KTM 65. Thanks for all the help.

Top Bottom