pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
Ok, so after a couple years of nagging, one of my friends is starting to seriously look into dirt bikes. Yay! :eek:

He is a small guy. He is 21, but only about 5'5" and 120lbs. He has never ridden before and will be doing trails only, no motocross. I told him that something like an XR200 would be the perfect begenner bike. However, looking in this weeks wheel deals, I found a 2003 TTR 125L with the BBR 150 kit, BBR triple-clamps, Big Gun exhaust, Excel rims and spokes, and re-valved suspension. Would this bike have enough umph for him? Would he be bored of it in 2 months?

Honestly, I dont know much about the TTR other than a lot of people love them. I would *think* that the bike I described above would actually have close if not more power than an XR200. He has looked at my Dad's XR250 and my KDX200, but they are just too tall for him.

Any thoughts on the TTR? :thumb:
Thanks!

Rhodester

May 17, 2003
XR200 sounds perfect. It has a little less travel than full size, but the rest of the bike is full size and has power that will entertain him longer (and can be hopped up from there).

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
since they are both purt near the same seat-height wise, I'd probably go for the TTR (if the price is comparable) because he'll be able to sell it easier. People dig those machines for the fun factor, and the BBR kit probably puts out as much power as the venerable XR200, plus better suspension is always a good thing.

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Of the two you mentioned, I'd have to vote for the XR-200. They are bullit proof. A little weak on suspension and power, but a fun bike that will last years. Depending on what everyone else rides in your group, he might get bored with those fourstrokes. Take him to a dealer and see how he fits on a KX-100. The bike has more suspension, great power and it's way lighter than the fourstrokes. It's easy for a beginer to ride, good low end. And it will grow with him as his skill increases. The little bike screams too.

My son started out on an XR-100 at 9 years old. His 12th B-Day present was a KX-100. He is 5'2" and 120 pounds (now). He can jump it, wheelie it, whoop it, that bike has everything the big ones do. We have more fun riding together because he can ride the same stuff I do on my RM-250.

Just something to think about. Depending on your location and the bikes condition, you can pick up a 2003 in the $2200-$2400 range.

Hope this helps, Steve.

Top Bottom