zachsz24

May 24, 2001
Can any body tell me anything about the TTR 225. Looks like a great bike I sat on one at the dealership and the salesman said its a better bike then the xr 200 even thought it cost 300 dollars less. Its mostly going to be a recreation bike and trail bike. I would appreciate any info thanx:silly:

Strach

Nov 22, 2000
zachs24
It is a lot heavier than the XR but is has the electric start. The TTR is more a casual play/trail bike than the XR. Don't expect to do any rough trails or jumping with it, It doesn't have the suspension or power for that. Good luck
Strach

kaw Bill

Oct 1, 1999
I would lean more towards an XR 200 if you're looking for a small trail bike. The're both under powered but the ttr is much to heavy.

kaw Bill

trueweb

May 20, 2001
My friend has a TTR-225. The electric start is really nice on those days when you want to get on the trail before everyone else. When riding it I really haven't noticed that it is that heavy. The major issue I have is with the front suspension. It is severely under sprung & under dampened from the factory. The worst thing is that it is not at all adjustable and as far as I know nobody makes any tuner items for the TTR-22 suspension (why should they).

The bike is a great smooth trail or technical (no jumps) trail bike. it is manueverable and the electric start can get you out of some hairy situations. Any big bumps or jumps will bottom the suspension (severely) if the rider weighs more than 150 lbs.

Check out the ground clearance, suspension travel & weight on both machines before making a decision. Then sit on both of them and see how they feel. I think you will find that the XR is the sportier of the two, the ttr is more of the luxury, if such a thing exists, in the off-road motorcycle world.

-A

dirtdad

Mar 3, 2001
My cousin has a TTR 225. He just had his suspension (front and rear) done by MX-Tech. He says it was a vast improvement, but IMO still doesn't make this a serious trail bike. It's way too heavy and still under powered. I don't know of anyone who makes hop-up parts for it.

Last edited:

zachsz24

May 24, 2001
What about the kdx is it worth the $900 extra for trails and recreation. My friend had 90 Kdx 200 and it was too much but when I rode that i was 5 inches shorter and 40 pounds lighter. Now Im 5,9 170. Any info is appreciated

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
If the dealers will allow it, take them for a test ride and draw your own conclusions.
At 260 pounds the TTR225 is a bit portly for a modern bike, but from what i can tell it seems to be closely related to the 225 "Serow" dualsport.
(It even has the holes in the frame for the rear turnsignals!)

Although the bike i looked at (and deadlifted) at the Yamaha dealership sure did'nt FEEL that heavy!
(after riding a 304 pound thumper thru desert whoops all day, 260 lbs is a featherweight!!) :eek:
The XR200 may be a lighter bike but i wouldnt count out the TTR until i tried it out first.
just my 2 grickles.

Top Bottom