BOWHUNTER

May 3, 2001
my little girl is turning ten and wants a bike to ride with dad, we can't decide on which one we like the ttr90 i think it will last loger, she likes the color, but mom likes the 70 she thing the 90 is too much power. any info on these would help good or bad
thanks mike

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
My little girl rides an XR70R. I chose the XR because I like the Honda’s reputation for reliability and the fact that the 70’s engine has been around almost as long as I have. It has been a great little bike for both my kids. You just stick it in second gear and they can ride all day long. I think the difference in power between the two is small. Surprisingly, the little 70 will top out at about 45mph! I think either bike will meet your needs but the 70 may be a little lighter.

What more can I say, I am a life long Honda fan who rides a YZ250F!

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
The TTR90 was my first choice but decided I wanted a bike he wasnt going to outgrow in less than a year. We went with the XR80. took about 2 days of practice on and off the gass to master the clutch, but he is doing great now.

I'm curious though... where did the 45mph figure come from on a XR70? that sounds very high compared to what it feels like.

My son is 10 years old also btw.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
My son did it while riding next to me on my dual sport bike down a hard packed dirt road. Needless to say, I was shocked! The thing would outrun my wife's TTR125L on top end before I raised her gearing!

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
I would have to guess either yours or mine is the exception to the rule. My son is about 75 lbs on an XR80 and I am about 175 lbs on a TTR125. there is no way he can keep up with me on the straights. Not that it makes a difference... just surprized the h*** out of me.

BadgerMan

Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 1, 2001
My wife rides the TTR125L and my son now rides an XR100R. The XR70 would outrun both of them. The 100 did about 41/42, the 125 did 43, and the XR 70 was slightly faster. I have cycle computers on both the bigger bikes so I think the numbers are pretty accurate.

The XR70 is a ’97 model and/or the first year they were made. Honda may have lowered the gearing in subsequent years. If my daughter rode it more than once a month, I would probably gear it lower.

longtime

Oct 7, 1999
A friend of mine just got his son a TTR90. I really like it. I think I'll make it my son's next bike, too.

As to speed -- heck, I think the little xr50 is getting up to 40.

stormer94

~SPONSOR~
May 30, 2001
The ttr90 and the XR70 are very similar bikes, and I know that's what you were comparing. BUT, if you have access to a honda dealer look at the xr80 as a better choice to both. Only $400 more in retail, but a substantially better bike to play with Dad. Got about 2-3" more in seat height, and 22 pounds heavier. Depends on the size of the youngster, sometimes that extra 2" is just to much.

DualSportr

Aug 22, 2000
My wife rides the TTR125L and my son now rides an XR100R. The XR70 would outrun both of them.

Power to weight ratio is the culprit, unless you've traded around bikes. The lighter rider (your son) is able to get more top speed out of the lowest horsepower bike (of the three) because his weight is less.

You lose 1 hp for every 7 lbs of weight at top speed.

About the choice between the XR and the TTR.

Regarding engine reliability. Both are bullet-proof. Both have been in production for the same period of time. Contrary to popular belief, the XR70 engine IS NOT the same as the old Trail 70. There are many differences.

Pick the bike which fits your daughter the best. Don't worry if she outgrows it quickly. It's the same as buying shoes, you don't purchase a pair of size 10's when the kid wears an 8. Most young riders do so much better on bikes that are the right size (or even too small). It's easier to learn, easier to pick up and start all by themselves, and generally more fun.

Don't worry about resale -- even if you purchase one of these bikes new, resale in a year or two won't be painful. Prices stay high, just check 'em out in your local Cycle Trader (if you can find any in there!).

PTCruiser

Aug 25, 2000
Bulldog, Was your son 10 when you first got the XR80? I ask because my 8-year old boy has definitely outgrown and out-rides his TTR90 but I'm not sure what to step him up to.
He can tippy-toe hold up his brothers TTR125 and I'm thinking that might be the best way to go-'cause his brothers getting too big for it as well! Still, it will be his first clutch and I don't want to get him in over his head. Do you think a 2-stroke 60 would be better or worse? (the height would be better for sure on the 60....but the motor might be more of a handfull.)

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
I steered clear of the TTR90 because of the seat height... its shorter than a pw 80 by an inch. The XR80 has got to be 2.5-3 inches taller than the 90. And wanted something that would last a season at least if not two. My sons first bike was a KX60 but it was way too much for him in my eyes. after the XR80 I'm not sure what I will move him up to. He can already ride a TTR125N no problem but my L model and with the stiffer springs its too tall for him.

I'm trying not to think about whats next for him, and just get him to practice and learn as much as he can on this one.

I'm not the best point of reference since both my son and I are new riders. but I didnt feel comfortable with my son on a 2 stroke for now. not after I got on his KX60 and opened it up, and I'm 100 lbs his senior.

I think they learn to use a clutch pretty quickly. Took my son a very short time to get it down. I told him to practice starting and stopping. and he was on the go within 10-15 minutes. He has improved with each outing and is pretty smooth now and his shifting has improved as well. Now learning to distribute his weight, braking, and downshifting. We each now have about 25-30 hours on the dirt and its all starting to come together now. :cool:

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Bulldog,

I have the same concern with the KX60 for my son. It seems to be a bit too fast, but I like the size and suspension. Do you have any info on the Suzuki JR80. Looks nice, size is good, but wonder how performance compares with the KX. Want something a bit more tame for the 1st clutch bike (son is soon to be 7)

He is already almost too big for a ttr90, but not close to touching the ground on an xr80.

bulldog71169

Apr 17, 2001
Sorry to say I dont have any info at all on Suzuki. being new to the the whole dirt seen, I didnt see much talk on the smaller Suzukis so I never considered them.

Top Bottom