ttr holding me back what should i get crf150r expert of yz250f?

mike7794

Feb 27, 2007
1) your physical size (both height and weight are important): I am 5-6 and 155 pounds.
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?: i am very agressive
3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ????? every thing but i will be doing a lot of racing
4) Do you have any riding experience? yes about 2 and a half years on a 80 and 1 year on a ttr125
5) Do you think you will race ? yes i will race a lot
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work? yes
7) Do YOU have a preferance to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)? well i do like 4 strokes a lot
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry? all dealers
9) How much do you plan to spend on a bike? dosnt matter
10) Do you live in California? yes
11) anything else that you think would help form an opinion: well i got my ttr and it isnt enough power for me so i want eather a crf150r expert or a yz250f. So please help me

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
250f is a big step up. The 150r might be better?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
Since your parents are buying, I say 85 2-stroke, and learn how to ride it.
You never asked which would last longer.
The 250F may be better for racing, since they are so easy to ride, but you will be a much better rider if you learn to ride a 125 first.
The 125 only class is dependent on the sanctioning body, we don't all live in Canada, and in some places the 150R is allowed in the stock 85 class.
You probably didn't do well on the 85 because it is so much different than a TTR125. It will take a little while to adjust to a performance machine since you have spent so much time on the play bike. In most areas, you are eligible to ride an 85 until you are 15. Don't try to jump in too deep, for you may find yourself drowning.

mike7794

Feb 27, 2007
FruDaddy said:
Since your parents are buying, I say 85 2-stroke, and learn how to ride it.
You never asked which would last longer.
The 250F may be better for racing, since they are so easy to ride, but you will be a much better rider if you learn to ride a 125 first.
The 125 only class is dependent on the sanctioning body, we don't all live in Canada, and in some places the 150R is allowed in the stock 85 class.
You probably didn't do well on the 85 because it is so much different than a TTR125. It will take a little while to adjust to a performance machine since you have spent so much time on the play bike. In most areas, you are eligible to ride an 85 until you are 15. Don't try to jump in too deep, for you may find yourself drowning.

yeh but i cant go on with out jumping a lot. I love to do it and since i am only 12 i cant just stay on an 85 because then i will growq out of it soon. i mean i am only 12 and i am a big kid for 12 i weight 155 pounds and i am 5-6 so i am going to grow a lot more and soon.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
You are the same height as RC, who had to have his bikes lowered. And while you will grow, are you sure that you are ready for the huge jump in power and handling that a big bike will provide?
Some things that I know to be true:
My friend, who owns a TTR125L, rode my KX250 and immediately realized how poorly the TTR turns.
My son, who rides a KX65, complained about how poorly the TTR turned.
At 200 lbs, I was outrunning a 145 lb man on a TTR125L while riding my son's KX65. Thats right, trail bikes are that heavy and underpowered.
Given that, I tell you this; jumping off of a TTR125 and onto a 250F is huge. Since you have expressed such an interest in racing, I believe putting you on the track on a big bike in any class other than D/beginner would be completely irresponsible. The power that you will encounter may be more than you are prepared to handle, despite what you may think. Good judgement is not a common trait in your age group. If you were my son, I would not even think about giving you a big bike yet. Of course, if you were my son, I would be more aware of your riding ability.

If I were your father, I would seek out a used 85 and put you on it. If you showed me that you could handle it well, then I would put you on a 125 in about a year, and you would spend a year on it before I would even consider the 250F.

mike7794

Feb 27, 2007
FruDaddy said:
You are the same height as RC, who had to have his bikes lowered. And while you will grow, are you sure that you are ready for the huge jump in power and handling that a big bike will provide?
Some things that I know to be true:
My friend, who owns a TTR125L, rode my KX250 and immediately realized how poorly the TTR turns.
My son, who rides a KX65, complained about how poorly the TTR turned.
At 200 lbs, I was outrunning a 145 lb man on a TTR125L while riding my son's KX65. Thats right, trail bikes are that heavy and underpowered.
Given that, I tell you this; jumping off of a TTR125 and onto a 250F is huge. Since you have expressed such an interest in racing, I believe putting you on the track on a big bike in any class other than D/beginner would be completely irresponsible. The power that you will encounter may be more than you are prepared to handle, despite what you may think. Good judgement is not a common trait in your age group. If you were my son, I would not even think about giving you a big bike yet. Of course, if you were my son, I would be more aware of your riding ability.

If I were your father, I would seek out a used 85 and put you on it. If you showed me that you could handle it well, then I would put you on a 125 in about a year, and you would spend a year on it before I would even consider the 250F.

But ny parents arnt as into dirtbiking as me and they get mad if i keep buying new bikes every year. I think that if i get an 85 i would have to keep it for about 2-3 years and by then i will get way grown out of it. If i got a 250f I could practice on it for about 1-2 years on different tracks not racing competivly and then get the feel for it and then move for competivly

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
If you want me to say that you should get the 250F, fine, get the 250F. Wait around for a while, I'm sure that somebody else will say it too. As a parent, with the best interest of my children in mind, I wouldn't. As far as buying new bikes every year or 2, the 2-strokes are cheap, and not too hard to sell. When it comes time to step up, you sell what you have an d put that money into the next bike.

If you did get the 85 and keep it for 2 years, then you might be ready for the 250F, IMO.

mike7794

Feb 27, 2007
FruDaddy said:
If you want me to say that you should get the 250F, fine, get the 250F. Wait around for a while, I'm sure that somebody else will say it too. As a parent, with the best interest of my children in mind, I wouldn't. As far as buying new bikes every year or 2, the 2-strokes are cheap, and not too hard to sell. When it comes time to step up, you sell what you have an d put that money into the next bike.

If you did get the 85 and keep it for 2 years, then you might be ready for the 250F, IMO.

Well i dont really like 2 strokes. i dont know why but i dont. Its just me. But what about the new 150r expert?

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
A local kid in my area got a 150R a few months ago (I have been told that it was his first bike). When I saw him ride, it was pretty clear that he couldn't. The bike was just too much for him. He no longer has the bike, and is now enjoying an 85. I can understand the dislike for 2-stroke, but they do make better riders. The popularity of the 4-stroke bikes is (IMO) due to the fact that they are easy to ride. This means that you don't need nearly as much skill to think that you are fast riding one. If you can ride a 2-stroke fast, you will shred the track on a thumper.

From a parents perspective: with the retail tag on a 150R, your parents will want it to last longer before you need another bike. But you will outgrow it as quickly as you would an 85. If you bring options to your parents, armed with the knowledge that you will need another bike within 2 years, then you are more likely to get that. Let them know ahead of time that the 85 class bikes are not suitable for riders over 15, but you are not sure that you are ready for a full sized bike. Show them the bikes that you are interested in on the manufacturers websites, and let them know that a used late model is OK. Basically, it will show them that you are taking their finances into consideration and they will be more willing to replace your bike when you are ready to step up.

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
mike7794 said:
bt the question is what will last me longer? so in the ned what will be better because i know i can handel a 250f

The bike that will last you the longest is the one that WON'T kill you!

Top Bottom