arcticpilot

Mar 20, 2008
New guy here:

Just got a used 2002 TTR-125L and it runs like cr@p. Any help would be appreciated.

It won't start without choking it while giving it half throttle, Then kicking it like crazy about twenty times. After that you can release the throttle and it'll start within the next four or five kicks...

Once it does finally start, It won't idle no matter how much I mess with the curb idle and air screws. It wants to die out when you give it gas too slow but revs sputtering badly when you throttle it up fast. I've done all the intake tricks to no avail. Could it be in the valves? Cam? I'm stumped and I can't find the radio on this thing either!

I know that these TTR's have carb issues, But this is a new one for me. I own several TTR's including a 225 1nd a little 90 that run great and never need anything. I've heard that the 125's are almost bullet proof when they run good and it'd be cool to see that in real life!

My 16 yr old is really bumming about his new ride not running right so any one with a good tip here would make a new friend :)

Thanks!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
arcticpilot said:
I know that these TTR's have carb issues,

TTR125s don't have carb issues. They are small carbs with small jets that are easily plugged when old gas sits too long in them.

Clean the pilot jet, it's blocked.

arcticpilot

Mar 20, 2008
Okay... I fully cleaned out the carb and the plug's brand new, but it's still doing the same thing. Would a flat cam do this? I've read that the stock carbs are jetted lean on these bikes (?) would a larger main possibly help?

Thanks a ton for all the help, guys. I really appreciate it!

arcticpilot

Mar 20, 2008
"What does the spark plug look like?"

P.S.: The plug I replaced was clean and there were no deposits or burns. It has great compression and doesn't seem to be over-gassing the cyl.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
arcticpilot said:
Okay... I fully cleaned out the carb

Did you remove the pilot jet from the carb and verify that you can see light unobstructed through it?

The valve clearances being tight could cause similar problems, but this is a simple motor that is pretty bullet proof, so carefully check the simple things first.

arcticpilot

Mar 20, 2008
Thanks-
I did clear the pilot and it looks like new. The needle has no ridges or anything either.

I'll check the valve clearance and let you know if that was it. The last owner was a bit of a goon who fancys himself a technician ;)

Tomsti

Mar 17, 2008
It won't start without choking it while giving it half throttle, Then kicking it like crazy about twenty times. After that you can release the throttle and it'll start within the next four or five kicks...

You know I have the same problem starting my Kawi and most believe it's a jet size problem. When you cleaned out the carb what size jets were in there and are they stock? Maybe someone decided it was running rich and made some mods? I also assume that this carb will have a clip on the needle that can be moved up and down to richen or lean out the air/gas mix.

Top Bottom