Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Ok,.. I purchased this 05 TTR 125e (small wheel) for my GF, I got a good deal on it cause the guy said it had been sitting for some time and was hard to start. I figured it just needed a good carb cleaning. So, Ive cleaned the carb good, every jet, bowl, needle valve, richening curcuit, blew out every orfice with comp air ect. Cleaned and replaced the air filter/box. Ive checked the valves, drained the tank and put in fresh fuel, checked for good fuel flow, and its still very hard to start. The only way I can get it running is to push start it, (get the engine turning over) then it starts right up. When it runs it acts like it has an air leak (intake), it wont idle no matter where the air screw is set, and the RPM's take a long time to come down when you rev it, just like an intake leak. I've removed the intake boot and checked for leaks, put new O-ring where it meets the head, made sure of good seal where boot meets carb, no cracks in the boot ect,... and still the same thing.
Any ideas ???? It making me :coocoo:

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
That is all the tell tale signs of not enough compression. 4 stroke, twice as many possibilities. Leak down test for sure. You have exhausted the easy stuff. Wonder if the top end rusted up, especially the valve seats. Did the exhaust have a plug in it? A little levity?

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
That is all the tell tale signs of not enough compression.
was having those dark thought as well,... but it seems to have decent compression, (by kicking I mean) tomorrow I will do a comp check. What is the correct way to do a leak down check?

Thank you

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Found the 'issue'

...wont be any need for that leak-down tester,... I'll use that money towards a big bore kit.

Attachments

• TTRpiston.JPG
    TTRpiston.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 146

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
What did the top and bottom look like? Do you have a theory or culprit?
When I pulled the head I could see where something had was hitting the intake valve, (light scratches on the face of the valve) but it looks as though the top comp ring broke (about 1/3 of it is gone), and got chewed up and spit out cause this thing had been running like this for some time.
When I ran the comp test I could only get 35 psi, thats what prompted me to tear it down. There's no gouges or imbedded material in the head, no deep scratches in the cylinder wall either, just a slight burn groove where the combustion was escaping aroung the broken ring.
150 kit should clean er' up real good!... should increase the 'smile diameter' on GF's face too!

Bike - $700
150 kit- $300
labor of love - priceless :laugh:

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
To be honest,... I want to keep it mild enough for my GF to start easily and reliably. The High Comp piston might make it a bit more tempermental.
Maybe an overbore, HotCam, with stock compresion piston, (if there is such a combo)

ideas?,.. suggestions?..... Big Lou

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
ok,.. decided on 55mm wiseco with stage 1 hotcam, jetted 20/112.5, opened airbox, stock pipe, should work for her.

Top Bottom