TTR230 Winter Project - Dual Sport Conversion

Jun 17, 2008
TTR230 Winter Project - Dual Sport Conversion

Hi guys.

Ok, I had a thought. Winter will be coming up in a few months, I'll be putting my bike away when the snow comes, but I thought of a small project do to from time to time over the winter weekends!

....... so here it is......... Turn my TTR230 trail bike into a Dual Sport bike with a Dual sport kit so I can ride on the roads (street legal) to the trails !!!

It seems like a great idea, it will keep me busy and working on my good old TTR230 over the winter every other weekend or so. It seems to be much much cheaper then getting a Yamaha 250 already made trail bike. It would be another cool way to enjoy my first motorcycle, I could then ride it to/from work at a much cheaper cost then the operation of my car (with the prices of gas these days)

So, can the TTR230 be turned into a streel legal dual sport bike ( for NON-highway use )?

The Pros I see:

- cheaper to convert my TTR230 with a dual sport kit then to purchase another 'good' bike (ie: yamaha 250 dual sport, second hand or new or on a trade in)

- The TTR230 is not a major power house, but hey, it's got some good power and does great on the trails. And I've had it on a stretch of pavement also... I think it's got good power for street use ( non highway/freeway use ).

- Cheaper to take my TTR230 to the office, to/from work then my car next year, especially given the price of gas these days.

- Another way to enjoy my first bike, my good old TTR230 !

- Installing a street legal dual sport kit over the winter months gets me closer to the bike, figuring out how it works (I'm new to motorbikes), and it would be enjoyable to install and wire everything myself.

The Cons I see:

- It's not a powerhouse bike so highway and freeway use would be limited, as the top speed is likely the top speed limit for the highways around here, being 100km/hr.

- ????

Have you, or do you know of anyone who has done the Dual Sport conversion on the TTR230???

Thoughts/Comments?

What are you're thoughts and comments and this idea, to turn my TTR230 into a dual sport street legal bike for non-highway use?

Thank you in advance for your time. I'm looking into the possibilities here, and if things work out I plan to get a dual sport kit for xmas and install the kit over the winter months, getting it ready for next season.

Cheers.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you buy a kit, it should not be a full winter project.

I've done 3 dual sport conversions (non on a TTR230) and the first one took less than 8 hours with a Baja Designs kit. The others were also Baja kits, and took less time because I knew what I was doing.

I think the bike is fine for your intended purposes. It should work great for anyting other than the highway speeds.

Jun 17, 2008
dirt bike dave: thanks for your input here.

I appreciate your comments directly to the TTR230. That is correct, my purpose would be to getting around town, to/from the office and from my house and to the trails and back. Yes, correct, non-highway driving.

So, what are you're thoughts on the Baja Designs kits?

I don't like the fact that they have strap on lights held on by rubber.

I've been looking at the Dakar kits which have a good solid mounting system for the front light (which has the horn and front two signals all in / on the headlight).

About the full winter... I hear it should not take too too long, but I will be storing my bike out of town for the winter. I suspect I will get out there once every few weeks, so that time frame would work for me I hope.

thanks you again for your comments thus far!

How about tires? I don't want to be changing tires every time I goto the dirt from the street.
Can you get dual sport tires that I can ride for both street and dirt without changing them?

which tires do you suggest?

thank you!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The early Baja kits I had worked fine. The rubber strap headlights might be a problem if your fork tubes are skinny. Since it is a winter project, you could make your own headlight mounts.

For tires, I always used knobbies as very few of my miles were on the street. In the USA, if you are on the street you should be using tires approved by the Department of Transportation for street use. There are quite a selection of them, including from Pirelli and Bridgestone.

True knobbies usually don't last too long on the street and they are not good on wet pavement. But if you are just cruising around they will grip just fine.

If you will be doing lots of riding on wet roads, I would look to a more street oriented tire. I have not had a street legal bike for about 8 years, so I'm not sure what is out there now.

SpDyKen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 27, 2005
I'd look at Trick Dual Sport's kit. Dale does a great job of putting together a well engineerd, comprehensive kit.

There are a lot of dual sport tires to choose from. Look at every tire mfgrs. website; you can find plenty.

You will get more discussion about tires if you start it after you have educated yourself a bit and then start asking specific questions related to your own needs. There are compromises to be made, either way, with D.S. tire selection.

Jun 17, 2008
1) Has anyone every put a keyed ignition kit on their TTR230 or TTR225?

2) Which tire manufacturers are out there for dual sport tires. I'm new to riding.

thank you in advance with helpful comments.

cheers.

Jun 17, 2008
Does anyone think that the TTR230 gears are going to be an issue while riding on the street?

For example, holding a speed limit (consistent speed and throttle) for an extended period of time using the stock gearing?

thank you.

Jun 17, 2008
They say the stock TTR230 battery will be ok with a dual sport conversion kit installed (headlight, tail light, 4 signal light).

I hear and read that the LED lights are a little easier on the battery and shire brighter which is good. I will likely go with the upgraded LED lights instead of the standard ones.

The only other thing I'd like to add, that uses battery power, is a small computer speedometer/odometer with a backlight screen for night travels.

Do you think running LED lights and a small speedometer/odometer computer will be too much for the stock battery?

thank you.
Cheers.

NuMtrHd

Apr 29, 2007
I hope that you've have checked the registration and insurance requirements within your jurisdiction. I was looking to convert my son's TTR225 over next year, but found out that the bike is not titled for highway use, and that there is no way around this in New York State. It might not be an issue where you live, since NYS tends to have a lot of excess regulations, but thought I'd mention this just in case. :bang:

Jun 17, 2008
Thanks. I've recently mentioned my bike to the DMV here and they just listed the things I need (at least one mirror, brake lights, 4 signal lights, head light lo/hi beam etc.... ).

Actually, yesterday I did my Balance test, written motorcycle test and sign test and passed! :) I did the balance test at the DMV in their closed compound / track with my TTR230.

thank you for the note. I will check into this to be absolutely sure before I purchase the kit.

thanks again for the note.
Cheers.

Top Bottom