TTR250 & Stroker/Mikuni Pumper Carb

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I finally bit the bullet and got the Stroker/Mikuni 33mm pumper carb for the bike since I will have it until next year sometime. I had hoped that changing needles and jets would be easier but its pretty much the same except the jets are easier to find. I got the carb on Thursday and hurriedly rejetted and installed it for a Friday trip to KM (7,000 ft higher than home base). Once there I warmed it up and went for a real quick spin, I could tell right away that the mod was going to produce more hp and it ran fairly good with my guesstimated jetting. One big problem turned out to be that I hadn't looked at the carb close to enough to locate the air/fuel screw :( Dayum thing is hard to find and almost impossible to see or adjust once installed. Long story short I modified it this week and its a mod I will probably do to every carb I ever have!
I ended up taking a stnad-off from a PC board (aluminum) and JB welded it to the end of my fuel screw. The stand off was about an inch long so I then cut it down to about 5/8". The stand off I used was slightly larger than the scerw itself so I had to grind it down with a dremel (the fuel screw is inset into the threads about 3/8"). Next I took a lock washer (one shaped like an asterisk on the outside not smooth) and put a small screw through it and into the open end of the stand off. I can now lean over with the bike runing and adjust the fuel screw with my fingers, blip the throttle etc etc until I am happy. I will try to post a pic tomorrow. Now if I could just relocate than damn shock resorvoir.

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
... while you're at it you better stiffen up that rebound on the shock ... that thing was like one of those plastic horses on springs that you would see when we were just little kids ... ( : ... nice mod on the screw - sounds like you're pretty handy.

I'll see you up at Kennedy later this month ... I may very well finally be on a new bike ... 1999 Husky WR125 !!! (and it's green stickerable thanks to our European brethren)

See you soon ... until then

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
OK hopefully this will work. Here is the pic of the fuel screw extension. The pic sucks but with only 50K to work with what can you expect :(

Attachments

• carb mod 5.jpg
    carb mod 5.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,198

Obee

May 29, 2001
TTRGuy - What pipe are you running ??
I'm running a Staintune. It seems to run way too rich, but only with the spark arrester inserted. I can't run it without it until I'm way out in the bush, cause it's just too loud.
Obee

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I am running a stock header pipe with a White Bros. silencer. The White Bro's uses a disk system so you can adjust the # of disks/airflow. Are you using the Stroker carb? Did you get extra jets with it and/or order a wider range?

Obee

May 29, 2001
I'm also running the stock Header, but soon to change as the stock is a twin walled design. Stock carby - I haven't cahnged jets, only float position. I will be experimenting with different jets once I get the new Header.
Do you believe the different carby gives you enough added grunt to justify the cost ???
Obee

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I guess that depends. I am going to have to keep the TTR until sometime next year. I also had an impossible time finding jets for the stock Teikei carb. I haven't ridden it yet with my fuel screw improvement so I think that will make even more improvement. IMHO the Mikuni gives you about the same amount of improvement as an aftermarket pipe and it was well worth it to me

Marklx

May 24, 2001
Great idea for easing the pilot screw adjustment hassle. And the reason they always hide it up in a little tube is??

On my klx, I use a small jewelers screwdriver and a mirror. There is just enough room to do this, but your way makes it a trailside deal. Sounds like a good aftermarket product. Wish the picture was clearer, but your description gives a good idea of what you are doing. Maybe post a clearer pic on your photo webpage link?

Thanks,

Mark

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hehehe - sorry about the terrible photo - I used GSR's digital camera (even took about 6 pics to make sure I had a good one) but apparently I don't konw how to use it properly. She is going to take some better pics for me and I will post them and reply here when they are up. I will try to get a couple of pics installed and also a couple of it on the bench. It really is cool, I can adjust it with the bike running without even getting off the bike.

TTRfan

Jul 21, 2012
That was a quick installation Mr Luckey :nod:

Did you have any problems re-routing the throttle cables to the "wrong" side of the new carb?

Anyone else fitted this carb?

TTRfan

Jul 21, 2012
Whoops - just realised the last message was in 2001 and not 2011 - sorry!

However, if anyone can help with information about installing the Mikuni on a TTR then please do so.

Last edited:

Pantera

Nov 25, 2001
so TRRfan, you think Mr Lucky is still riding his ttr or remember his cable routing from 11 years ago. I've seen posts pulled out of the past but you could be more of a archeologist than a dirtbike rider with that one

TTRfan

Jul 21, 2012
Pantera said:
so TRRfan, you think Mr Lucky is still riding his ttr or remember his cable routing from 11 years ago. I've seen posts pulled out of the past but you could be more of a archeologist than a dirtbike rider with that one

:laugh:

In my defence, I did realise afterwards and apologised. No reason for him not to be still riding his TTR250 though. They are keepers :nod:

Top Bottom