Obee

May 29, 2001
I've just ordered a 2001 TTR 250 Yamaha and are having the following mods done before delivery. Staintune powerpipe, Knobby tyres, Airbox mods, header restictor removed, bigger rear sprocket. Is ther anything else a TTR really needs? I'll be riding mostly forest trails, beach, clay hills, flats etc.

Vegas 250 F

May 14, 2001
What is the header restrictor

My brother in law has a 1999 TTR 250 and I am wondering where the header restrictor is and how to remove it. Any other performance advice will be greatly appreciated . . .

Thanks!

Fergy

Apr 12, 2001
Obee,

One other option you might want to consider is your carb. Consider Strokers 33mm Mikuni (Pumper) carb @$350.00. I replaced my after installing their header/pipe package. A noticeable improvement, better yet its a pumper type carb. that comes pre-jetted to accommodate aftermarket exhaust systems.
If you got a lot of cash to burn, take a look at "Stroker" web site, a lota aftermarket stuff for the 250. I myself have indulged in dropping a wad of $ at Stroker.
http://www.strokerspeed.com

Obee

May 29, 2001
Thanks for your comments / Questions guys. I've just knocked off a 12 hour shift and have to get organised to go pick up the bike in the morning. I'll post again as soon as I've talked to the people at the shop. I'm pretty sure it already has a "pumper carb" and it definitely has a restrictor fitted standard, at least here in Australia. I'll get more details and feed them back ASAP.

Obee

May 29, 2001
Vegas,
I picked up the bike this afternoon. The restrictor is actually in the pipe just before the muffler. It needs to be ground or drilled out. No actual header restrictor. They may not even have a restrictor in the States, but get him to check anyway. The airbox mod is simply removing the rubber flow channeler. I also went up 4 teeth on the rear sprocket and the knobbier tyres are a definite must in the slippery stuff. You wouldn't credit it though, we went for a 4 hour ride into the hills 5 minutes from our place and on our return had to cross 1 bitumen road. What do you reckon was coming the other way? A cop car. No licence. I think I'm OK - so they tell me anyway.

Fergy

Apr 12, 2001
Obee,
I have a few questions regarding your response. First, what's a "bitumen road"?
The second is your comment on installing a different rear sprocket, increasing by 4 teeth. What benefits to you anticipate with this increase?
I've increased my son's drive gear by one tooth (14T) on his TTR-125 and found it to be an improvement. The TTR-125 gearing for 1st and 2nd were too close and too low for his likings. This was just an increase in 1 tooth, just curious what an increase of 4 teeth would do for you.

Obee

May 29, 2001
G'day Vegas,
A Bitumen road is, I guess you would call it balck top - what you typically find on a highway - not dirt. The hassle was we hardly ever see the cops out this way. We live about 300 metres (yards) from the beach and 1 KM (600yards) from an extensive forest. The increase from 44 teeth to 48 on the rear sprocket is for more low down grunt. Being a "road trail" bike the TTR is geared for highway work as well as dirt and therefor 44 teeth is not as good for jumpimg logs, big hill climbs etc. When I took it out on its maiden bash yesterday, my mate (buddy) led me (unknowing) to an awsome hill that I was commited to before I had a chance to chicken out. The TTR handled it much better than I imagined it would. I was initially going to buy a WR, but was put off by the amount of maintenance required. The TTR so far seems pretty good. I'll know more when my power pipe arrives next week.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
The front forks are a bit soft and heavier springs help a lot in the Aussie ones. It keeps them sitting higher in the front for better cornering and they dont bottom out as much. Get some good bars as Yamaha stockers are rubbish. Dont bother about the carb too much. Stock carb with bigger main jet is all you should need. A friend raced one for two years in Thumper Nats and only did gearing change (and you have it about right), fork springs, Big Gun exhaust and minor jetting plus removing a lot of road bits and he did prettywell. It was a great bike for trailriding and not too bad on a track. If you spend a lot on it its not worth it as the YZ/WR250F is a much better bike and you will soon spend the same or more.

Obee

May 29, 2001
Yeah, thanks ACS. I could have done with the heavier springs today. I overended it on a tree stump coming out of a bumpy right hander in the forest. I've gota staintune pipe coming this week. They reckon you don't need to change the jet???? Got any advice on how to fix a 2" tear to my seat ?? Thats about the only real damage I did, besides losing some skin. I was gonna buy a WR, but was put off by the maintenance. I'll see how this goes for a while.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
Maintence levels on the TTR will be the same or higher than a WR/YZ F. Main reasons are the smaller oil capacity, air cooling, frame design, poorer suspension etc.

Remember you still have to change the oil, adjust the valves, clean the aircleaner, lube the chain, lube the bearings and linkages, replace disc pads, replace seals etc etc etc Thats coming up in the future.....

Dont worry though the TTR is fantastic trail bike that will last for ages. The WR/YZ F are race bikes and need to be ridden as such. The TTR is a easier to live with bike great for just about anyone and has that little magic button...:)

The TTR's and the PW's must be the biggest smilly :) bikes in the Yamaha Bike range.

For the seat get a new cover or water will destroy the foam. If you get a shock on orig price try Ballards for aftermarket one. I think the uncorked Staintune will need you to go up one main jet size at least.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I've used tent repair tape on seat tears with pretty good results. Use a big enough piece and round the corners so they don't peel up as easily.

Obee

May 29, 2001
Thanks Magellan. I think I'll try something like that. A new skin (unfitted) costs between $100 - $150 here.
What are the 2 removable tubes - 1 clear that appears to come off the air filter box the other black and appears to come off the top of the head. They obviously appear to be "crap traps", but theres nothing in the manual.

ACS

Apr 17, 2001
The one on the air box is for junk to fall down that gets in the airbox. If it is on the outside side of the aircleaner I usually put a slot in it with a knife so it can drain. Nothing worse than having water sloshing around in the bottom of the air box. If its between the aircleaner and carb dont slot it just check to see that it hasnt got any junk in it. The black one off the head is a breather for crankcase fumes. It should puff and suck when you put your hand next to it. It is sometimes worthwhile to re plumb the breather to up under the tank or to the airbox as they can suck up water if you get stuck in deep water.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Yeah, I keep the clear one pretty clean so that I can see if there is any water in the airbox, but putting a cut in it so it will drain sounds like a good idea as well. In any case, if you're riding and notice stuff in it, drain it! I drain both of them whenever I wash the bike. The black one is actually attached to a filter of some sort (I am guessing it's charcoal) for emmissions. Mine seems to fill up pretty quick. There's always some oil in there.

MRKRacing125

Oct 24, 2000
The oil/whatever in the blacktube, is really stong to smell. Not saying I am sniffing my bike, but when I cleaned it the other day, headache city for me:p I think I am going to put a new seat cover on the bike by stroker and get some new decals!

Obee

May 29, 2001
Yeah, thanks for the advice guys. The black tube is the one that had us stumped. My mates bike (01 TTR250 -same as mine) had the black tube absolutely chockers (full) of waht appeared to be oily water.It sounds like it may be part of the anti polution crap they load bikes up with now days.
Has anyone heard of a company called SEET ? Apparently they sell after market seat skins - covers.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Stroker Carb?

I too have looked at the carb from Stroker and am just now deciding that I will probably have to keep the TTR until at least next spring. Did you install the carb separatly or along with a bunch of other mods??? How much of an improvement would you say there was. More or less than the pipe change? I went with the White Bro's pipe and must say that the improvement was pretty dramatic. I'll probably go with with the stoker carb just so I can rejet in under an hour and 15 minutes :( What a pain in the posterior. Anyone have a supplier for jets and needles for the Teikei &*&%&*&?

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
The 95 XT600 used the same carb, or at least the carb it had used the same jets. Yamaha will have part numbers for different sized jets. They aren't cheap however.

Mag

Fergy

Apr 12, 2001
I’ve been running the Strocker header/exhaust with their aftermarket carb and what a difference. I first started with just the header/exhaust. There was an improvement in performance (along with an increase in exhaust noise, YZ426ish) but now the problem was jetting. As most of you are aware the stock carb is not user friendly..very difficult to locate replacement jets and difficult to re-jet. I took the road of least resistance and ordered the Strocker carb which comes pre-jetted from Strocker. The carb is designed to run with after market exhaust systems.
Once installed it made a big difference, I was finally able to utilize the complete power range.
I then installed the Strocker graphics/seat cover combo. Seat cover material is a much higher grade than the stock material, however the Strocker logo/label is kinda cheesy.

As far as the issue of the emission system (black hoses and air box) you might want to take a look at Strockers “emission breather kit”. At ~ $25.- a good investment. This kit allows the engine/crank case to breath better and run more efficiently. It comes with all the necessary hardware and good instructions.

Now onto the suspension which is now the weak link. I’ve re-adjusted the front fork by going from 10 clicks out to six. As for the shock, I adjusted the setting to six clicks out. This set up allows me to run better in the woops and jumps. Though the TTR is really a trail bike, with some adjustment it can become a reasonable MX bike. Even if your forte is not MX this fork and shock adjustment will still improve trail riding.

Not leaving well enough alone, I removed the front headlight assembly and replaced it with a YZ250 number plate…now it resembles the YZ250F.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
I went to 8 clicks out out on the front and increased the air pressure to 4psi.
I went 2 clicks in from stock (not sure how far out that is) on the compression, but didn't touch the rebound.

I've only trail ridden. The bike handles whoops much better, but I'm going to increase the compression some more.

I'm not sure about the rebound yet. Still trying to learn this stuff and taking it one adjustment at a time.

I just bought a used BigGun exh. and head pipe. BigGun recommended a 145 main and a a 52 pilot (one size up, I htink stock is 50).

I have the main, but need to roder the pilot. Problem is that I think the XT parts list only went ot 50 on the pilot. May have to do some more research.

I've thought about the Stroker carb, but can't bring myself to spend the $. I'm sure it's sweet though once you have it.

Mag

Obee

May 29, 2001
Thanks, Fergy and Magellan. I finally recieved my Staintune pipe last night and went to fit it this morning. Guess what - they sent the wrong pipe. Now I have to wait another 4 days. I'd love to fit another carby but I certainly can't afford to now the cops have decided I should pay a $500 fine for riding without a licence. I know I was doing something illegal, but hey I had to take the thing for a ride and I was only on the main road for about 5 seconds. I've booked in for my licence and that'll cost me another $200. So things will be pretty tight around here for a while.
As far as suspension goes we've got a guy here thats a wiz at setting bikes up so I'll go and seek his wisdom. Oh well, looks like I'll be trailoring my bike up into the forest for a while. Obee

Top Bottom