moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
I just replaced my 7 year old sons jr50 with a new ttr50e. The first day he rode it I found oil in the airbox.(about 2hrs on it) I first thought the guy at the shop over oiled the filter so I cleaned it up and put it back together, checked the oil and figured all was well. Bike started running rough last week so I checked it over and found Oil in the airbox again (4-5 hrs on it) I checked the oil per the owners manual and it was still on the money. I haven't had to add any oil at all since he has had it. I took it back to the dealer and it sat there for a week. They checked with yamaha and looked the bike over and found nothing. They told me to have him ride it more and see if it does it a third time... So I am lost as how oil could be going back through the intake into the airbox and even more stumped as to how the oil level is still right?? Anyone else having the same problem?

husabutt

Dec 26, 2005
I am not familiar with the bike but if it is a four stroke it has a breather "vent" hose usually running from top of the cylinder into the airbox. If the oil mist bothers you the hose can be routed to vent directly to the atmosphere. A slick way of doing the mod is to add a one way check valve inline with the vent hose and cap it off with a K&N breather/vent filter.

An additional benefit of venting the breather hose and using a one way high speed check valve is the the vacumn created will actually increase HP. Probably not a significant amount as we are only dealing with a 50 here ;)

moto2121

Mar 2, 2004
Thanks for the reply. See the problem is its so much oil that it chokes the bike out. The tech and myself looked for the vent but were unable to locate it??? My son has about 3 more hrs on it and so far so good...

Top Bottom