TUF racing /Waterman indoor track

97 moto

Sep 11, 2000
Has anybody here been to the indoor track in Waterman,Ill. that is co -ran by TUF. Wanting to see what the track is like and does it cater to A riders or a mix??

Wideratio

Apr 11, 2002
I rode it last year about this time. It was kind of tight and technical for me. More like a stadium track than anything else. Sounds like they may have expanded it, which could only help in my opinion.

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
I am equally interested in planning a trip to the Waterman Indoor track. Can anyone else provide some more feed back? Or a website link to this track? Also I have a question about costs. Do you have to purchase a membership? How much for open practices? Are they open all week long? And what are the pits like? Do they allow you an indoor place to warm up your bike before hitting the track? Is the whole place heated? I have lots of questions... the list goes on and on.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I went out to WIR last Friday... 9-4 motocross school with Jeff Hill and 4-9 open riding. It was a good time! I took a bunch of track pictures, but due to being inside and the lighting, they kinda suck. I have a rough track diagram drawn up in MS paint on my home laptop that I can post tonight.

WIR is definately a nice indoor place and bigger than most that I have ridden. Lots of different obstacles and really safe, too. The whoops (10 of them, can double through if you're brave enough) is about the only section of the track that I could see someone eating it. The corners are nice where lots of them have an inside and outside berm or a haybale separating the inside/outside options which are sometimes different (like go inside hit a double or go outside hit a triple). Other obstacles include 2 big tables, one bigger double, and a bunch of rhythm section stuff.

One of the coolest things is the inside pits! You can actually pull your truck (and trailer) inside! They did stop people from coming in for the 4-9 practice though after a while because (1) it was getting full and (2) it's darn cold every time the big door opens, but the parking deal was very cool! The parking pits are about the same size of the track if not a little bigger. You are supposed to warm your bike up outside for the initial warm up, then after that usually just start it by the starting gate before you go out for practice.

They were also in the process of constructing a 2-story scoring/sign-up tower on Friday and that will be cool when all finished. Jeff's class was great as well - I think he's teaching a few more this winter. He covered lots of important things (body position, starts, corners, whoops, etc) and the class sizes are smaller for a lot more individual attention.

The lighting and the temperature were about the only downfalls. When I first got to riding, I needed to take off my goggles to see really well. As the day went on, I think I got used to it and it wasn't as bad (even with goggles). Jeff (he runs the track) said they have more lights on the way so that's good! And it was a little cool in there when not riding, but I also heard Jeff mention that they got heat in there as of recently but I'm not sure if it was on Friday.

I will definately be back!!

www.wir-mx.com

Yogurt - I think they are doing a $15 membership for the rest of 2003 (not $30 like it says on the site) and $30 each practice or race. Then starting in 2004, it'll be a $30 membership for all of 2004 and again $30 each practice or race. Their hours are listed on the site for practice days and race days. They split up practice sessions depending on how many riders are there (and it's split by skill and bike sizes too). Friday night started out with 2 practices early on (big bikes & minis) and was up to 5 practices by around 6-6:30 pm (C, B, A, lil bikes (50 & 60 beg), minis (60 and 80s)). There were some impressive A riders there Friday night as well training for both the Supercross season and the Rockford AX this weekend. B and C practice each had maybe 10-12 bikes after they split them. The gate for races is a 12 man starting gate. I think they had 150 at their race a week ago and no ambulance calls or anything.

Got more questions - just ask!

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Thanks nikki for the great review and your thoughts on the place.

So it's not heated, or not yet anyways? That's cool if you get there in time they let you pit indoors. Any more feed back on what the average temps are in Waterman Il, this time of year, and what the average temps are like inside? I'm just curious in regard to jetting before we go. I'll most likely probably have to drop a main jet size, and maybe down a clip position.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Originally posted by Yogurt
I'll most likely probably have to drop a main jet size, and maybe down a clip position.
Be careful with that.  Dropping to a smaller main jet will lean it and you probably want to go richer for the cooler weather.

Indoors you probably will never be on the main, anyway, so richening the needle by going down a clip position may be enough.

Also, I'm not familiar with that place, but don't be surrpised if you find yourself running 1st gear indoors.  Sometimes with a tight track and lots of traction, it's the ticket.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Gomer is right - in the colder weather, your bike will run leaner (there is less moisture in the air). So you shouldn't be going leaner. And he's right with the main adjustment as well as main is for 3/4-full throttle and indoors is mostly 1/4-3/4 throttle (clip/needle).

I'm in 2nd gear everywhere on my 250F (one extra tooth on the rear sprocket) at WIR. I can clear every jump in 2nd and go through every turn in 2nd. It's kinda nice not having to shift. :confused: I've rode a few indoor tracks and never rejetted or noticed any jetting problems so I wouldn't worry too much.

You can check average temps on www.weather.com but it is normally 20's-40's around here this time of year. They do have heat but I think they only use it when it's real cold outside. There is a HUGE garage door (like 15 feet tall and 15 feet wide) that opens every time someone goes in and out of the pits, so most of the heat escapes at that time. I could see my breath in there on Friday - I would say it was around 40-50 degrees inside most of the day.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Jeff Hill ownes it? I thought he runs it, but TUF (daddy) ownes it?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Yep Okie - you're right... look up there ^^

I said Jeff runs it. Dave Antolak and Ron Downen own it, but Jeff has been doing a darn good job of running things over there. I want his job :)

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
OK, thanks guys. Your right, I had the main thing backwards. Obviously you need to richen the mixture in the colder weather. Now I gotta talk to my buddy, and maybe make a hotel reservation down there, and we're going riding! Road trip! :cool:

97 moto

Sep 11, 2000
Hey thanks for the info. I got the go head from the wife to go their on Saturday. I found these pics on ThumperTalk. Looks pretty nice.

http://www.jakeandcrystal.com/Waterman%201.jpg

http://www.jakeandcrystal.com/Waterman%202.jpg

http://www.jakeandcrystal.com/Waterman%203.jpg

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
I just drew up a rough track diagram here at work - here it is. It's not exact, but pretty close:

Attachments

• wir.jpg
    wir.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 214

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
OK, next question... Looking for any of your thoughts or opinions on this matter...

What do my buddy and I do with our bikes while we're staying there? We're thinking about a 2 day trip to Waterman on the 29th and 30th of this month. We're gonna get a motel for one night, but what do we do with our bikes while we're asleep? We don't have an enclosed trailer, and don't want to leave them in the motel/hotel parking lot. I thought about using several chains and locks to lock them to the trailer, but someone who wants them bad enough is still gonna get them, or just take the trailer with them on it. I was thinking we could get a 1st floor motel room, and sneak the bikes in with us. Sshh!! Or I was wondering if we could leave them in the indoor pits overnight at the Waterman track? Any thoughts or ideas?

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Call them up and ask about overnight storage. T'm sure they will work something out for you as there are a few people with enclosed trailers that I think stay inside the pits all winter.

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Also double check the hours on the days you're planning on going!! If you mean Dec. 29 and 30 - their site says they are closed on Monday and Tuesday! www.wir-mx.com

motolafeme

Dec 4, 2003
Hi Nikki, this is Heather Hall from Manitowoc, WI. I just wanted to entroduce myself as there are not a lot of female racers. I will be at WIR a few times a month so I hope to see you. What classes do you race in?

Heather Lynn

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Heather - welcome to DRN! I'll probably race WIR a few times in Jan-Feb and in the 125C class. Maybe we'll get to ride together sometime. In the outdoor stuff, I usually just run the women's class. I was up your way at Lake Geneva in October and there were around 15 girls in the women's class. It was a good time!

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
Thanks Nikki. I'm having trouble getting into their site. Can't check the schedule right now. I'll get it figured out soon.

mr.tuf

Dec 5, 2003
If you are coming down to the track and staying overnight you can leave your bike inside. We have never had any problems but you might want to lock them up to be sure. Also we have just added storage units that are 8 feet by 12 feet that will rent for $300.00 a year. You and a few buddies can rent a unit and leave your bikes there all winter. Thanks

Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
OK, I got into the www.wir-mx.com site now. I see that they are closed Mon & Tuesdays. Mr. Tuf, is there anyway my buddy and I could rent one of those storage units for just one night? Otherwise we could use some chain locks and lock them up on the 2-place trailer I have, and just leave the trailer there over night. Our plan is to get a hotel for one night, and be able to ride for 2 days. Thanks, I appreciate your reply.

Moto Squid

~SPONSOR~
Jul 22, 2002
Hey sup Heather, Andrew and I are going to Waterman tomorrow (12/7) to kick it...I really wanna bring the new bike but don't know if I'm really ready to ride yet :ugg: But my physical therapist says I'm 90-95% healed so thats cool. I'm go'n bring the old bike and put it for sale then I get to play cameraman :silly:

Scott

motolafeme

Dec 4, 2003
Hi Scott. I rode there on Sat and it was good. It your shoulder is going to be weak that track will pound you. I will be going up a coulple times a month if you want to drive together. My work schedule changes a little bit from week to week but I always have Saturdays off. E-mail or call. There is room for Andrew, too. Have you even ridden your new bike?

Heather

slowmorider

Dec 9, 2003
Hello, I just bought a yz125 in October and I've been riding every open day at Sunset Ridge till they closed. I've never been on a mxer till I bought this one so I'm still learning and slow. But I am so stoked to be doing this.

Anyway I checked out the Waterman indoor track the other day and it looks fun. I would like to ride during open practice but I'm concerned that I may be a menace to the other people riding. Should I take a private lesson from Jeff first or sign up for one of the classes before I join in with the other C riders?

Top Bottom