ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
I have just rebuilt my top end and put a 265 kit in my 2000 RM250(porting and all). I am messing with the tuning and such and have a few questions.

My bike seems to have a lean idle sound(when the bike warms up), I have adjusted the pilot jet but when I make it too rich(so that the lean idle sound is gone) the bike likes to bog down. If I have that lean running sound the bike runs great. Is the lean running sound bad?

Power jet-Is that the electric thing in the carb, and if so, what does it do?

Plug reading-I have read alot on this and looked at alot of diagrams. One thing that I have never heard is the fact that to check the jetting you can look at the flat part of plug?(at the end of the threads). Mine is black(to consider this valid do you have to have a new plug?), but the porcelan is a nice brown light brown color....?

Timing-I advanced the timing a little so that the lighter ring/spot on the electrode is just a liiittle bit(.5mm) down from the tip of the electrode. When at stock there is not a lighter spot on the electrode. Is this ok?

Ping- considering that the ignition was perfect(no random spark) is it even possible for a bike to ping IF it was low on compression(130psi)? In other words can a bike with an INDICATED 130PSI suffer from pre-ignition...Considering that the timing is not too far advanced.

One last thing, the choke knob. It says idle adjustment on it(manual says 12 clicks out) but the manual does not call this the idle adjuster. It just says choke adjustment. The manual says that the idle screw is the black plastic one with a spring on it and controls how far down the slide can go(makes more sense).....What does the choke knob control?

Thanks,
Chris

spark250

Feb 7, 2008
wow lot of questions and a lot going on here.

I dont have time to address all of those items, but I will make one comment about your compression and the possible detonation you are having.

What a compression gauge shows you in psi is not relative to the actual compression of your motor. So, the fact that you have advanced the timing and changed the piston size you could be detonating.

ckassen

Jun 26, 2007
Well it was detonating after some hard riding so I just shut it off and waited until it cooled down then drove it again....I am going to simply start running 93 instead of 89....

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
ckassen said:
I am going to simply start running 93 instead of 89....

Yeah good thinking. :bang:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom