IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
One of my Military Professors told me that no plan survives the first 30 seconds of contact and I guess he was right.

Sat. Nov. 10th

There are a few who made it down Friday but this is my take on my first ride with the DRN crew.

I woke early around 0600 or so much to YZ400guy's chagrin, and loaded the gear. Adam(YZ400) was still in the rack moaning and groaning that I am a scurge upon humanity but finally got his butt out of bed and got ready. The truck loaded, coffee in hand we hit the road to TB at about 0745. After hitting the "Golden Arches Steak House" for breakfast and a fuel stop we started West. The trip out went fine untill it came to crossing Lake Barkley, for the folks that don't know this is a narrow bridge about a 1/2 mile long and in the middle rises to a height of 80 feet or so off the water, all of a sudden the bike dissapears from the rear veiw mirror!(Winds where high about 40 knot gusts) We had lost a tie down and I thought Adams bike had fallen out of the trailer, but thankfully it had laid over and there was no damage aside from a sheared tiedown.

The last couple of miles in I was feeling pretty guilty about not making it out the day before and playing host for the "Meet and Greet" as folks arrived. It also dawned on me that I am throwing everyone a curve by not showing up in my car, but circumstances beyond my control were the ruling forces of the day. We got to TB about 0930, the check in station was alive with activity, and not one bike in sight, nothing but Quads, rail buggies and 4X4's of questionable liniage everywhere. After checking in we rolled on to the downloading site and my trepidition began to build. Fully realizing that I had forgot to take my Ridilin :) we turned into the parking area to be greeted by 18 shining faces all turning to look at the new guy's showing up. Everyone was standing around gabbing and looking at Big Lou pulling the Silencer off his Katoomer and Searge was the first to walk up to the truck. Picture me like a kid on Christmas Day grinning like an idiot and Searge, cautious look on his face approaching the truck like it was full o' the crimson hoard. "Hey Searge!" I yell out the door, he stops, tilts his head to one side and thinks a sec,(Obviously deciding if I was friend or foe) then ventures forth the question, "You Irish?" I replyed in the affirmitive and the festivities began :) .
Well the greetings where sort of surreal, everyone coming up and saying hello and offering names, but nothing really cliked untill the screen names were added, and I was ready to hit the tree line when I approached this big Bear of a man named Lou and offered my greeting and heard, " Your Irish?" All heads turned and I felt like a kid caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I sheepishly said yes and the day began, I had made it to the first ever DRN Turkey Bay Ride.

After meeting Lou, Searge, CAL, MotorMichael, Lee, TTRguy and many others(I am terriable with names and I'm sorry if I left any out) we suited up. Adam downloaded the thumper while I was still playing 'meet and greet' and Lou informed me that Aimee's bike had lost the end cap off the silencer and seince I was late in getting there he had decided to remove his and replace it. A rider(Again sorry about names) had told Lou that he had another silencer at his place and would go get it. While all this was going on folks were getting ready to ride. I informed Lou that it was o-k because I was just happy to be there and among a great group of people. So I suited up and pulled out the camp chair preparing for a little wait. I didn't have to wait long for CAL came along and gave me a an update on trail conditions and traffic. Then he was off again. Whithin short order everyone was back and the fun began with "DRN Does Tool Time" on Eddie's silencer. (I'll let CAL or Eddie comment on that) Eventually the silencer was back on Lou's Pumpkin and he walked me through the paticulars of it. I was ready to ride.

Adam and I decided to head out on a short loop so I could familarize my self with the Katoomer, and let me tell you what, I think I have found my next bike! The throttle responce was phenominal and the machine could take anything I pointed it to. Talk about FAST! Later I told Lou it seemed like I ran out of gears too soon and he agreed that it was a little short legged, but more than enough for the trails at TB. Adam and I returned to find Searge, Moto Michael and Lee ready to ride, so I took the lead and we were off. The trail quickly fed into a ravine and I hit a knarly wash, the KTM lugged me to the top like a champ and MM, Lee and Searge made it to the top but we lost Adam to the loose rock in the v-notch trail. He opted to turn around and find another trail. I lead the rest of the way and thought we would have to call a 'dust off' for Searge, for most of the hills I was climbing were washed out and causing plenty of problems. For the most part I was spodely at best and the leaves covering the trail didn't help. Rain had washed alot of the loam away leaving exposed roots and softball sized gravel littering long tracts of trail. However out on the Loop Lee and Searge decided that I was too slow for them and promptly left me in the dust :worship: . Towards the end of the best day of riding I had ever had, Lou wanted to try and shoot some video and we took off again. We ended up back in the same spot that had claimed Adam and discovered that the light was too low and time was running out. Lou opted to head back because he didn't want to damage his camera so it was left to Lee, JayBird, myself and a couple others to round out our chapter of the day. What happened next was probably the fastest ride I have ever done at TB. With myself in the lead we headed out. Up in the rough hard scrabble the going was a little dicey with the failing light but we all made it to the loop with little mishap. I breathed probably my 100th word of thanks to the designers of the 250 MXE for I had little doubt that it's superbly designed suspention had saved my bacon a number of times. On the loop we took off at a pace that was racing the clock, Lee took the lead (That Boy is FAST!) and Jay and I followed. At this point Lee had traded out his KDX for Searge's "FrankenThumper" and it doesn't matter what machine he is on, he can ride. We made it back to camp in one peice and started the farewell's and load up. Jaybird treated us to his ingenuity(sp) with his "Chain Washer" and we all got in a few group shots. Life was good. I made my rounds and said goodbye so many times I lost count. We finally hit the road at dusk and I bid farewell to the best group of individuals that I have ever had the privalage of riding with.

I know I left out or overlooked alot. For all those folks that I forgot please chime in with your thoughts! I can't wait to read everyones personal thoughts on this past weekends ride. :thumb: :aj:

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Parking Area,

Attachments

• download-1.jpg
    download-1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 312

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Searge and Adam(YZ400guy) take a time out,

Attachments

• time out-1.jpg
    time out-1.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 298

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Silencer Class 101,

Attachments

• silence class101.jpg
    silence class101.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 295
B

biglou

Man, that was a great time! I have a bunch of huge photos I have to work over and then I'll post them. Got stuck in a 45 minute traffic jam about 10 miles west of St. Louis and took me 5 hours to get home from Eddies. I just parked the trailer, unloaded the gear, took a shower and hit the sack! I have to was the bikes and return the trailer after work, but I will try to get the pics up before the night is over.

Reesknight

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2002
Sounds like a great time! Hopefully one of these days, I'll make it to a DRN ride. Irish, welcome to the world of 21st century motorcycles! ;)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Patrick kept trying to use a sticking throttle for an excuse of a couple ghost rides up nasty rocky hills so he thought he'd really play it up by pretending to work on it with Mike looking on. Mike didn't help any he just wanted to be in a picture!

Attachments

• turkey bay nov '02 011 small.jpg
    turkey bay nov '02 011 small.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 305

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Adam, Irish and Lee in the foreground. Darby, MotorMichael and ("whats his name") in the background. Dang, both times I have ridden at Turkey Bay Whats his name was there and I still can't remember it. I passed on some of 380EXCMAN's packing material to "Whats his name" so hopefully he'll forgive me. He really hauls it out there too!

Attachments

• turkey bay nov '02 012 small.jpg
    turkey bay nov '02 012 small.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 294

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Corey, David, Lonnie and Darby. David saved the day by making a trade of an old silencer for a seafood buffet. The traded for silencer was immediately and quite unceremoniously turned into an end cap donor. Thanks David.

Attachments

• turkey bay nov '02 020 small.jpg
    turkey bay nov '02 020 small.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 269

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Lou and sarge showed up in my driveway Thursday evening. After unloading we got down to the serious business of a cold drink and many tall stories. We arrived at the cabin around noon Friday with Mike and Patrick showing up within 5 minutes of our arrival. We visited for about 10 minutes, unloading a few things and rolled out to Turkey Bay. Upon arrival I believe we found MotorMichael and Lee. Lonnie, David, Corey and a few others joined the group shortly after. We only got in about 3-4 hours Friday but it was around 70 degrees and nobody got hurt. Most of the group met for a steak dinner at a restaraunt where I am sure we will be welcomed back with open arms :) Saturday Walt, Bob, Darby, Irish, Adam and a couple others joined the fray. Lonnie, David, Corey, MotorMichael, Darby, Lee, Mike, Patrick and I (sorry if I missed anyone) spent most of the day punishing ourselves trying to ride every nasty inch of Turkey Bay. TB is extremely rocky, with lots of ruts on the hills and large roots scattered about. The leaves were doing a very nice job of camouflage so I think everyone decided if we rode twice as fast as practical we'd skip right over everything. For the most part it worked but we did get to see about 20 spills divided amongst us pretty evenly. It seemed as though we took turns with the bad moves though, as one of us would auger or ghost ride a hill 2-3 times in about 5 minutes and then not crash again for the weekend. The passing of the "stupid baton" if you will. Lonnie has a finger that I bet hurts like heck and there are some scattered bruises etc but nothing serious. Patrick probably had the most spectacular crash (actually 2 of them) on Friday and both times he blamed it on a stuck throttle. I think he was just crazy with the loud handle but it did sound like the KDX was around 12,000 RPM's both times so that is still open for debate :) I think I went down 3-4 times but I left a couple marks on trees that are worse than my injuries so I figure the trees and I are about even. Walts son Bob was a pure joy to be around. I've not been acquainted with a better young man ever. You should be proud Walt! Motormichael and Lee should get endorsements for proving that a KDX and a DRZ are indeed formidable weapons in the right hands. They both rip. Lonnie, David and Corey were there usual superfast and smooth selves again this weekend and I think this was the first time I had ever seen Lonnie actually go down. I think it was also the first time I've seen Corey and David take more than one run at a hill. Those guys can climb anything. Mike - did you ever go down? He just rips along smooth as silk. I missed riding with some of the guys so they'll have to give details of their adventures. Saturday night we visited our favorite restaraunt again, most of the gang opted for the SEAFOOD buffet. I'm not an expert or anything but I'm not sure catfish and frog legs are really SEAFOOD :thumb:
The restaraunt had even made our group our own pan of cobbler! Patrick sweet talked everyone in the restaraunt, including Sarge :scream:
We said a few goodbyes but most of the gang stayed around the cabin for a few hours and had a great time. Sunday morning saw the last of the goodbye's and guarantees to meet back at Turkey Bay a couple times a year. This turned out to be a fantastic place to allow people from all directions to make the trip. I think Walt got the most traveled award with an 8 hr drive. I think we had Illinois, Missouri, Indiana, Alabama and Kentucky
represented.

Super weekend guys!

PS - that is Lee posting down there ¯¯¯¯¯¯

Last edited:

KDXrider61

Nov 6, 2002
i gotta agree with everyone on this ride. this is my first with the DRN group, and it was the best yet. my dad(motormichael) said "they sound like a good group to ride with" i think he meant a great group. i can't wait till the spring.

Irish, we haven't even unloaded the trailer yet, but i'm sure you left a perminent stain on my shirt and pants with that mud puddle just before the end of the last loop ride. And thanks again sarge for letting me borrow your bike, i had alot of fun on it and i think i rosted Jay(sorry about that Jay).

I have one more question, when do we get to go back??

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Doh, just noticed that I failed to include trsrider (Tim) and friend Mike in the list. I wonder how many others I left out? Sorry guys :( It was great seeing you guys again and flying around the trails. I bet you enjoyed the weather that Corey and Co. provided after freezing our tails off the weekend before at St. Joe :yeehaw:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
No problem Eddie, I just had to keep Corey from doing this :yeehaw: . He did that a couple of days before our last schedualed ride and it poured.

Adam and I paid our "blood sacrafice" to the weather gods going across lake Barkley :)

BTW, you and Searge owe the "LT" a pack o' smokes :)

Wish there had been more hours in the day to tear it up with you on some of those trails that Moose95 told me that you took him on.

Doh, I forgot all about that gift card you gave me, thanks big guy! :thumb:

Last edited:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I can't thank everyone enough for making this ride so great! It is by far the best ride Turkey Bay has ever seen. There is no way you could find a better group of guys to ride with and hang out with.

I was a little late getting to TB Friday, but finally got there at about 2:15. Everyone was out on the trails when I got there, but by the time I suited up, the crew was back. We said a few hello's and then decided to hold off the small talk, because we were running out of daylight. We took everyone this time out. The MX guys were having some "woods moments" but everyone did well. We took it pretty easy for a while. Some how we lost Biglou. Dad, David, and I went looking for him but couldn't find him. As per Sarge's instructions, we pressed on. Sarge then decided to take a detour (which happened to be a much harder route) under a fallen tree. I went back and rounded him up. Somehow, Sarge and I got separated from the pack a little later. We stopped to listen for the other bikes, and Sarge says "you know how to get back to the truck?". I said, "well, no, but I can get us there" ;) As I continue to listen for bikes, and the sun is getting low, Sarge says, "c'mon man, we gotta get out of here, we're gonna DIE out here!" I laughed and lead Sarge about 1/2 mile through the woods right to the truck. We made it out alive! Lou found out I had a sandwich in my truck and wrestled me to the ground so he could split it 50/50 with Eddie. :) After some shootin' the bull at the trucks, we headed for Moors Resort and the Prime Rib special. I had just as much fun eating and hanging with the guys as I did riding. It's amazing how diverse some of the conversations we had, were. I think we covered everything from reinforced Goat's milk to deep fried twinkies. ;)

Saturday was all about the trails! I skipped out on the greasy spoon breakfast and opted for a Powerbar. We congregated at about 9:00 am and had to do a silencer switcheroo on Lou's and Eddie's KTMs. We took off for a loop and Jaybird's chainsaw wasn't too fond of the TB hills and Jay and I got separated from the pack. We came back to the truck and chatted with Irish a while and then attempted to go for a spin on the main loop. But a buggy rider had been injured had was being air lifted out, so the loop was blocked at one end. Jay and I took the long way back to the truck when he proceeded to show me how well his 125 could hook up when it's turning 12,000 rpms. :scream: After we made it back, a few of us more "woods freindly" riders went out for some faster paced miles. Brent i.e. Yamahauler ("what's his name") led the way. He did an excellent job and kept the pace swift, but not dangerous. We cranked out some pretty fast miles through the trees. GREAT riding! Then at lunch we did a little "primitive silencer maintenace" as Darby put it. Between all the guys there we had enough tools and parts to build a spare bike! We then went out for another round of blasting through the trees with Brent (Yamahauler) leading. A few of us came back shortly to pick up Patrick who was working on his carb. We then went out again with Darby leading and did some hill climbing. When we got back to the truck, we all wanted to go out again, but only had about 30 minutes of daylight left and we decided to quit while we were ahead (bodies and bikes in one piece). Jaybird then demo'd his chain washer, and we all started swapping rides. And then of course it was off for the seafood buffet. Eddie, this is KY. Frog legs and catfish are about as "seafood" as we get.

I knew this ride would be great, but I had no idea it would turn out like it did. Great weather, great people, great trails (arguably) and hilarious stories! I hope everyone comes back. I'll make the long haul to TB anytime you guys are ready! :p

Motormichael is going to send me some pics. I'll post them as soon as I get them. He got some really cool ones out by the lake Friday afternoon as the sun was setting. I was having so much fun riding, I didn't even get my camera out of the truck!

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Brent, yeah thats it. It just came to me :) Sorry man!

Yeah - Lou split that sandwich right down the middle :moon:

Deep fried Twinkies, they're not just for breakfast anymore!

B

biglou

The sandwich story is a good one! I forgot about that. 50/50, right Eddie?! ;)

We ate about 9 that morning somewhere around south St. Louis, and that was it. I think it was around 4PM and I came back to the trucks and asked CAL if he had ANYTHING to eat. My gut was growling louder than th 426. When we first got there that day, roughly 1:30, Eddie said, man, I'm hungry, we should have brought some food. I agreed, but it was too late at that point.

So anyway, CAL says, "I have a turkey sub." Me---> :scream: "Really? Can I have it please?" Then, I got to thinking, Eddie's pretty hungry, too. How about Sarge? Nope, Sarge didn't want any, so I wrestled with the thought of just wolfing it down and throwing the bag away and pretending like there never was a sammich at all. :debil: But, I was a nice guy and saved "half" of it for Eddie!

As for the riding, very nice. Nice and open on the main loop trails, perfect for the high-strung, no hand guard-havin' MX bikes! There were a couple of uphills that were basically a succession of 8-12 step-ups in a row. You just kept jumping upward and climbing and climbing and climbing... (hey, I'm from Missouri).

Great to see all the folks again from DW and to meet some new ones. WaltC and son Bob are quite the inspiration. I regret not getting to know Walt's son Eric better at DW. If he's anything like his brother, he's quite the young man. Intelligent, well mannered and sharp as a tack. Very good on the bike, too. I'll put it this way, he can hold his own in a convo with Sarge! 'Nuff said! We were having dinner Saturday night and I realized that Sarge and Bob were the only two that had left the table and headed back to the cabin. I told Walt, "Bob's gonna be working this out in therapy for the rest of his life!" But, to our surprise, we come back to find Sarge weeping like a girl under Bob's intense psychological warfare. He must have taken a page or two from Sarge's manual! ;)

Great weekend, everyone. I had a blast. Only casualty for me was a seriously disfigured clutch lever. Other than that, perfect weekend. Great fun. This will definitely become a regular event. :)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Originally posted by BigLou
[BThis will definitely become a regular event. :) [/B]

THAT is what I want to hear! :thumb:

Ok, Eddie. Lou told his side of the sammich story...let's here yours. Somehow I think it's a little different. ;)

Here is the list of who I recall riding this weekend.

Me-CAL (local)
Lonnie-my dad (local)
David Dowdy (local)
Darby (local)
Yamahauler (local)
IrishEKU (semi-local)
Mikeb
Patrick
TTRGuy
trsrdr
Mike
Mike's buddy
YZ400Guy
Biglou
sfc crash
Waltcmoto
Bob (WaltcMoto's son)
Jaybird
Motormichael
Lee (Motormichael's son)
The three guys that parked just down from us (I didn't catch their names)

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
ride reports? RIDE REPORTS!? i've got your ride reports, as soon as i can find something in my thesarus to replace G@$ - D@*^ - M*%#&^ - F@%*@%$ - HILL! that outside loop was a world class GP track! :aj:

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I wish I would have had my vid. camera with me to record my dad trying that steep hill climb. He attempted to climb a completely vertical wall that was about 10' high. There was almost no transition from horizontal to vertical...maybe a 2' radius. He nailed it with his WR and got about 90% up and had to ditch the bike. Luckily the bike stayed just at the crest of the hill but dad fell straight down about 8'-10'. When I saw him falling, I thought, "here comes a broken leg". He was Ok, though. I think it was harder to climb back up and get to his bike than attempting to ride up it. I think he's nuts for even trying it. That was a trials rider hill...not a 48 year old on a WR426 hill! ;)

Last edited:

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by sfc crash
ride reports? RIDE REPORTS!? i've got your ride reports, as soon as i can find something in my thesarus to replace G@$ - D@*^ - M*%#&^ - F@%*@%$ - HILL! that outside loop was a world class GP track! :aj:

I'm your Huckleberry :p

Great ride Searge! We just need to work on your technique: "Yeah! I got it! Wait a sec, I'm loosing it, Wheeze! I've had it!"

Searges dying breath after I toted his helmet and goggles up to him,"O-k, time for a break, where are the cards?" (Edited for content of course)

Charlie Sierra :) :)

trsrdr

~SPONSOR~
Jul 12, 2001
Sorry I didn't ride more with you guys. My buddy from Atlanta, (yeah, add Georgia to the states list) came up to ride. We were taking it somewhat easier than you speedsters. Just give me another few rides and maybe I can keep up better. My poor KDX was screaming at times running behind Mike's 300 KTM, but I'm the limiting factor, I'm afraid. For you locals, we will be riding there all winter, at least until it freezes. Last year, we camped in Mike's trailer with a kerosene heater running low. It got down below freezing at night, but warmed up during the day and we all had a great ride. You'll need skins under your pants and layers under the jersey, but it's great when it's cold. I'm looking forward to the next ride and get-together.

Tim
(trsrdr)
(unicycle guy)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Preface to Lou's 50/50 split of the sandwich story.

Friday night Patrick gets the 12 oz. prime rib. While pointing at a piece of fat he proclaims that there is a 4 oz. piece of fat and therefore he only received 9 oz. of meat! Not sure if that was Tennessee or Alabama math. I think that is the basis for Lou's 50/50 split of the sammy.

This is the honest truth the way I remember it:

I came back from riding almost ready to die of extreme starvation. After removing the helmet and deciding NOT to eat part of the helmet liner, I notice Lou sitting in a chair with a coke and smile. I knew his shouldn't be looking as fit as he did due to our earlier discussion of extreme hunger and food deprivation. So he saunters over to me and drops one of those Subway baggies with a sandwich wrapper in it and proclaims "I got us some food. Corey gave US a sandwich and I already ate my half" So I ask him in a deadpan tone "Is there anything in here? For real? I hope this isn't a sick joke you ^&*%." Now you have to realize that the last ONE INCH of bread from a Subway sandwich really doesn't weigh much. Lou responds with a resounding "YES, there is half a sandwich in there"

Now I don't actually know how big the sammy was to begin with so i can't really say one way or the other but...... I got about the last ONE INCH of bread!

I somehow managed to subsist on that until we absolutely killed the salad bar at the restaraunt - THANKS LOU.

Sub-divide the sammy BEFORE giving it to Lou next time Corey :)

Top Bottom