FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
Well I finally got my '82 RM 250 back together and running decent. Got a new rear tire and got the rear brake fixed up nicely. Anyway, I've been invited to a buddies house in Cle Elum to ride on his private MX track. It's been 25+ years since I've ridden even half seriously and I don't want too many witnesses on my maiden track voyage. Well, he's a 4 stroke guy, Yamaha YZ450F. He's been workin on me about the benefits of the 4 strokes and I'm hoping to ride his 450 Sat.. He makes a lot of good points about the 4 stroke, especially for someone that hasn't been on a dirt bike as long as I have. He says they're just easy to ride, not so sensitive to gear choice on the track. He also pointed out that he has been riding his bike for over three years now and has never had a problem with it. Regular oil changes, valve adjustments and a clean air filter all the time. That was the hook for me, I've heard sooooo much about how these high strung 4 strokes are ticking time bombs! If I ride it I'll give you my honest appraisal of the benefits of the 4 stroke (if you care). Don't worry, I'm keepin my 2 strokes, I just love the smell and feel of them.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
You'll lilke the 450. Loads of power everywhere. If you are rusty, take it easy on the track. Better to not have crash reports afterward. I had a 03 450 and it was a blast but I really like the two stroke 250 for the zip and lighter feel. Have fun.

plynn41

Jun 8, 2009
I rode a friend's 450F on the track, and found I could definitely get around the track quicker than on my 250T. But I still won't change--I just like the smoker too much!

hellbertos

Feb 17, 2004
I think like most experienced riders, you'll instantly see the benefit of the modern thumpers and their displacement advantage. The question is, will you like the ride and feel of it enough to want to drop the heavy coin on one.

I prefer 2T, but wouldn't really mind having a modern MX bike in the garage. I just don't have the extra dough to throw at one. I mean, I could find a way to swing it, but the value just isn't there for me. Besides, I know how I am and I'd want to trick it out which is exponentially more expensive (engine-wise) on a 4T. A freakin' pipe/silencer combo costs practically as much as hot rodding a whole 2T motor.

None for me thanks... I'll stick to my 2 strokes!

FatBiker

Apr 3, 2010
Weeeellllll, I gotta tell ya, I really dig those 4ts. I rode my bike for an hour or so and after I caught my breath (gotta do some cardio!) I hopped on my Son in law's KTM 450 SX and wow! The suspension on it was so much better than my clapped out RM (I know, not a fair comparo) that I was instantly better. I didn't have to worry about being in the right gear or on the pipe to jump, I just got her straightened out and got it up to the speed I wanted to be at and simply jumped! Very nice! They are much easier to ride, there is no doubt about it. Of course I'm way out of shape and I'm a very novice rider so it would be unfair to say I'm gonna dump my 2t or never buy a newer nicer one, just that I could instantly ride noticeably better. I'm sure I'll buy myself a 450 SX but I'm keepin the RM too. That bike takes me back to an earlier time and I just love the sound and the scary rush of power. I don't think I'll use a 2t for "real" racing just maybe some "old fogy" stuff or just pimp it out to show off at the dunes or something. But you never know, as I get better I might just gravitate back to the 2ts but I'll have to have a much newer one if I get serious about it. Oh, and only one crash for me! A simple drop in a very tight low berm. Skinned my knee up a little and bent my already welded once rear brake pedal backwards. Other than that a great day! :cool:

Top Bottom