HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
At practice yesterday, there's a double-double into a 180 turn. To clear the 2nd double you're taking a fair amount of speed into the turn, so the braking bumps get pretty nasty right there. I found myself having the front tire bouncing off the ground at the time when I'd really like to start leaning the bike over. It seems like I couldn't start the turn soon enough and 2 or 3 time I ran off the track over shooting the berm. My thoughts on the solution are:
A. I've finally gotten decent enough that I need to fine tune the suspension to better deal with bumps at speed :|
B. I'm just not used to going that fast and am not controlling the bike properly :bang:
C. Welcome to Motocross, deal with it :nod:

Any thoughts?

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Hey man.....

I'm no expert, but I think if your front wheel is bouncing off braking bumps it usually means the suspension isn't rebounding quickly enough to follow the ground... OR the forks aren't using enough travel to absorb the bump, which is a sign the comp damping is too stiff...know what I mean?

SO try backing off the rebound adjusters a bit until the fork springs back or if that doesn;t work, back out the comp damping.... so the fork will compress easier.... make sense? :whoa:

Just don;t change too many things at once, and keep track of where you started from!

Masterphil

DRN's Resident Lunatic
Aug 3, 2004
Ideally, you should be standing while breaking and turning to the apex. When you reach the apex, you should sit down, off the brakes, accelerate out of the corner. Easier said than done!

I say welcome to motocross, deal with it. But, you probably aren't used to going(stopping, turning) that fast. Speed will come with time.

HajiWasAPunk

Aug 5, 2005
Masterphil said:
Ideally, you should be standing while breaking and turning to the apex. When you reach the apex, you should sit down, off the brakes, accelerate out of the corner. Easier said than done!

I say welcome to motocross, deal with it. But, you probably aren't used to going(stopping, turning) that fast. Speed will come with time.

That's what I've been taught, stand while you break and I believe that's what I'm doing (I should probably video myself though). My problem with starting the turn early so as to open it open; how can I do that with the front tire bouncin' up and down off the ground? Probably just more to learn and growing pains of creeping up in speed.

Top Bottom