Turnover problem...Very wierd!!

syko

Jan 10, 2004
This is a wierd one. it may be me being very stupid (most likely) but i have never heard of this before.
I've had my shiny new KX125 for about 2 months now.
it hasn't yet been thrashed anywhere, and to be honest it hasn't really been broken in properly yet (due to very bad weather and work!)
I'd been having problems with plug fouling during break in which I have already had a post on and got plenty of very helpful answers so that is sorted.
I got myself a couple of new plugs over the weekend and stuck one in, put in some fresh fuel and tried to fire her up.
now,she has been stuck in a cold shed for about 2 weeks and hasn't been touched but it's not damp in there and it is well covered up and looked after in there. Anyway, i kicked her over a few times, nothing. tried again and again and again and again. absolutely dead. didn't even attempt to start.

so, i thought maybe a push start may work, i took her out front, put her in first and pulled in the cluth ready to push...(this is the wierd part) the gear didn't disengage. i put it in second, third, fourth. nothing! I could not get the clutch to disengage the thing. i tried pushing it slowly to get the wheel to move whilst in gear and still i couldn't disengage. The clutch wasn't doing a thing. I panicked and though i'd knackered a clutch on a brand new bike and in my anger, i stuck it back in neautral and said 'the clutch is knackered and the damn thing won't even start!' I kicked it over once and BHAM first kick, she fired up perfectly. i put it on a stand whilst the engine was on, pulled in the clutch and carefully put it in first gear. that was fine too! the engine was firing and the clutch was fine again too. i took her out and she was perfect!

What the hell was all that about!??????!
any ideas?

syko

Jan 10, 2004
here is something else i just thought of.
when my bike is licked up in the shed, i always stick it in first gear just so that if someone does try and steal it they will have more problems moving it.
when i got it out today my exact movements were as follows:
I unchained bike. stuck it in neautral and REVERSED the bike out of the shed and onto my stand. tried to fire it up with new plug which she wouldn't do, then I pushed her forward out to front yard, stuck her in first gear where i was having the wierd problem with it not disengaging. I manged to puch it a couple of times whilst it was in gear just so it was very slowly turning over. then i put it back in to neutral, and managed to fire her up first time.
could the fact it has been stuck in gear and then reversed out have something to do with the fact it wouldn't start i.e the bike didn't realise it was in neutral, sounds wierd i know but thats all i can think off.

roughjeeper

Mar 7, 2004
my rm did the same thing try this when you park it turn the gas off. if i leave my gas on my bike will not start.also try a diffrent case oil it may be to thick when its cold.
JUST MY 2 CENT"S

elf

Jun 7, 2003
syko said:
could the fact it has been stuck in gear and then reversed out have something to do with the fact it wouldn't start i.e the bike didn't realise it was in neutral, sounds wierd i know but thats all i can think off.

no, as long as your bike is in neutral the tranny has no effect on the way it starts. I agree with roughjeeper on your tranny oil being thick.thats why your clutch wouldent disengage.

syko

Jan 10, 2004
I see.
but why did the bike completely refuse to start then as soon as i put it in gear and had all that problem with the clutch did it then start staright away 1st kick!!??
it's almost as though the two things were connected cause as soon as it did start up the transmission was absolutely fine!
don't forget this is a brand new bike that hasn't been touched or hardly ridden for more then 20 mins.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
I have heard of lots of bikes not starting with people kicking and swearing only to try 1 more time and then the bike fires right up. Just one of those weird things i guess.

TWRT

Sep 13, 2001
Some bikes like to be leaned on their side until gas comes out the overflow. Then they start right up. You will find out what works for you.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
Since the bike has a wet clutch, when it sits for awhile the clutch plates will dry out and there will be no slippage between the plates, thus no clutch action. Normal for any bike. As said above, you might have stopped kicking just as fuel was reaching the bottom end. Or from jostling the bike around fuel was filling the carb completely so 1 more kick was all it needed to fire. Also the cold weather combined with a lean pilot will make for lots of kicking to get it to fire.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…