gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
I’m going to be in the market for a new TV soon. It’s been 10 years since I’ve purchased one and apparently I need a Harvard education to know what all the crap listed on the little card thingy means! And since I practically have to lift up my shirt to get any customer service at these electronic stores these days, I thought I would start here. :confused:

Now I was contemplating going with one of those jumbo ‘my TV is bigger’n Texas’ type jobbies but began to realize I’d probably end up having to beat MrLuckey over the head with a 2x4 if I ever wanted to get near it! Plus I just can’t justify that kind of dough on a TV.

So now I’m in the market for a 32” to 34” flat screen (not plasma) TV that will fit into the entertainment center I bought (I know, I know, cart, horse, shut it) and is $800.00 or less.

I’m partial to Sony, Toshiba and maybe JVC and I just want a really good picture with really good sound, I don’t need or want a bunch of bells and whistles like picture in picture, and a remote that could pilot the space shuttle, but other than those criteria the rest is Greek to me. I’ve been trying to research different TV’s and the “options” but I have no clue what they mean. For example, check out this site: http://www.eshop.msn.com/search/detail.aspx?prodId=189472&pcId=110&catId=370
It very conveniently breaks down the characteristics but without knowing what all that means, I’m lost.

Can anyone tell me what the following means?
Comb filter? – what is this and what does it mean to me? My new TV won’t require any beauty maintenance?
Image Aspect ratio? – I knew I should have paid attention more in math class. What does this mean? Am I correct in assuming this is something similar to pixels? It seems most of the ones I’m looking at are “4:03, 16:09” is that a good ratio? Is there better?
I know “HDTV” means High Definition TV, but what exactly does that mean and what does it mean when some say “HDTV compatible” or “HDTV ready”

Anything important I should be looking for?

Any help/input is welcome. Thanks

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Ok,

I'll go first.  Since, I just got a new TV and in my extended family, both my brother and my father have 16:9 HDTVs. 

Check out this link:  (if it works)  http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=oz_Qhf3Sp2bQlMIBMmzajrLDDDvIYT1EHP4=?CategoryName=tv_36%22to40%22TVs&ProductSKU=KV36FS100&Dept=tv

I have this TV.  It's a Sony flat screen direct view (standard TV tube, not plasma or LCD) Trinitron picture tube.  This is the best tube they have with none of the bells and whistles, no pic in pic or stuff like that.  It has been rated as the best Analog picture available.  It's in your price range, i think.  check Sam's, Best Buy and circuit city.  All cary this TV.

If it won't fit in your cabinet, there's a 32 inch version.  The Sony KV-32FS100.

For your education.  The numbers 16:9 or 4:3 refer the aspect ration of the screen.  That's the shape of the screen.  4:3 is standard TV.  16:9 is wide screen and is designed to replicate the aspect ratio of a movie screen.

HDTV:  if a TV is HDTV ready, that means all you have to do is attach an HDTV signal either from sattelite, antennae of cable.  If it's HDTV compatible, it means, the TV is capable of displaying HDTV, but it requires a separate external HDTV computer (box) to see it.

Hope this helps some.  I LOVE TV!!!!!

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
If your armoire has pocket doors, you can remove them and go up a size. I put my 36 inch Toshiba in a 32 inch armoire that way. Looked good, too. There was less than an inch of space all the way around the TV.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
This may help.

Comb Filter:  Good feature to have.  Increases resolution and sharpness of picture. 

Aspect Ratio:  Standard TV resolution has been 4:3 forever, but they have now come out with 16:9 aspect ratio TV.  If you have a 16:9 aspect ratio, that means the movies you rent that say "Letterbox" or "Widescreen" version will fill up the whole screen.  Playing a "Widescreen" movie on a 4:3 TV scrunches the picture down and gives you those (annoying) wide black bands at the top & bottom of your screen.  On the flip side, playing a "standard" movie on a 16:9 TV may tend to look a little stretched on the sides.

"HDTV ready" means you can hook up your cable that is transmitting HDTV signals and get the full effect.  The HD tuner is already built into the TV.

"HDTV compatible" means you're gonna have to buy a separate tuner/converter box if you want the full HDTV effect.   You'll notice the "compatible" TVs are quite a bit less expensive than the "ready" TVs.

Something else to consider-- inputs/outputs for connecting DVD, VCR, etc.  "Component video" or "optical" is nice for getting the most out of your DVD.  S-video is cool as well.  Try to get a TV that has the same inputs as what you have with your current equipment, otherwise you'll find yourself upgrading something else in a couple months!

I like Consumer Reports for clues on brand reliability and overall comparison.  Sony makes very nice glass.  Stay away from RCA or Pro-Scan (Zenith)-- they tend to be less reliable in the long run.

490Dave

Mar 18, 2003
Originally posted by gospeedracer
It’s been 10 years since I’ve purchased one and apparently I need a Harvard education to know what all the crap listed on the little card thingy means!

Think about it Speedy, you said it yourself!, if it takes a Harvard education to understand all the crap, do you really need it anyway.

That probably didn't help but give you something to think about.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I've got the 27" version of the direct view TV Tim linked above in the bedroom, great TV.

I'm guilty of being one of those home theater nuts, so I doubt you want any advice from me.

If you can fit it in the budget... get something with a hi-def tuner built in. I can/do receive high def over the air (ie; over a plain old anntena)... of course I live within range of the towers... I also have a HD Satellite receiver and get hi-def over that (Dicovery HD Theater rocks). Once you see HD, you'll hate watching old-school stuff. You'd be surprised how much HD programming you can already get. It's going to be common place very soon, I'd hate to spend the bucks now on a TV these days and not bea able to see it.

jaction125

~SPONSOR~
Jan 30, 2003
I know it's pretty weak compared to the stuff you guys are talkin about but I scored a 36" Sharp tube type tv at Best Buy for $450. It aint the best but its still a pretty nice tv.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
And since I practically have to lift up my shirt to get any customer service at these electronic stores these days, I thought I would start here.

I dropped my shorts in Circuit City the other day and here's what I learned:

Save a few extra hundred bucks & buy a projector. I want one of these: http://www.theprojectedimage.com/Me...e=TPII&Product_Code=EP-S1&Category_Code=Epson You want a 36" picture most of the time, but occasionally want a 100" movie experience? No problem. You & Eduardo want to watch some "adult" programming in the bedroom? No problem, because your "tv" only weighs 4 lbs. Eddie wants to watch the big game but you don't want his dirty, single friends in your living room? Stick the projector in a paper bag with some chips & beer and he's off to Lou's house.

I'm tellin ya, these things are the way to go.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Zio, so you just have a projector and screen instead of a TV? Clarity just like any tv? brightness? Sounds very cool and space saving.

Tell me more....I have my pants down.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
I haven't bought it yet. And yeah, I have a dark living room, even in daytime. I'm not into HDTV. I'm hardly into TV at all. I like playing Halo on these things, as well as renting a DVD once in a while. Here's the actual model I'm looking at- http://www.theprojectedimage.com/Me...creen=PROD&Store_Code=TPII&Product_Code=DX650 which is HDTV "compatible".

I've only used a blank wall so far. But screens can be had for pretty cheap. I'm easily pleased by a big picture, and the resolution is as good on a blank wall as it is on my 32" tube. Probably better, I have not compared them back to back. But there's just nothing like playing Halo on a 100" screen with a full home theater surround system.

Plus, we're lookinbg forward to 80 degree summer nights and hanging a big sheet against the garage & inviting the neighborhood out to watch a movie.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Smitty- that's the plan. No more 80lb TV set. We sold our entertainment system when we moved and are just waiting for some Christmas cash to be freed up.

Smitty

Alowishus Devadander
Nov 10, 1999
Well be sure to post when you get it and let us know what you think. I'm like you that I can't swing it right now, but down the road a few months.....

I'm interested because of the layout in my living room I can't really squeeze in a big entertainment system and tv while maintaining the decor mandated by the design consultant (fiance). But if I only have to find room for a shoebox size projector and operable screen behind a valance, I could be onto something.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Originally posted by zio

Plus, we're lookinbg forward to 80 degree summer nights and hanging a big sheet against the garage & inviting the neighborhood out to watch a movie.

There's a guy around the corner from me who does this in the summers.  His side yard and driveway are always full of kids and parents watching some movie like the Lion King on a friday night.

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Well, first of all, get the dimensions of your cabinet, with the doors on and off - you will want to get the most width out of that cabinet, especially if you wish to get a wide screen TV. As to all the fancy terminoligy, get on down to Best Buy, and just see which one takes your fancy, which one has the best picture, and will also fit your cabinet.

I have one of those cabinets with slide away doors and am trying to get the best fit possible, normal width with doors on is 34 1/2 inches, without I can add another 5 to 6 inches. A normal 36 inch TV will fit in fine, however some of these wide screen TV's with speakers run over 40 Inches !

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
Aimee, just set the TV on some milk crates, all will be fine.

:p

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'm looking forward to a review when you get it Zio! Under $1K projectors that are watchable in any condition? Awesome.

If you haven't been to these site, it's FOR SURE worth your time. Go to the "Forums" of each.

http://hometheaterspot.com
http://avsforum.com

the DRNs' of HT stuff.

I hear ya Smitty on the WAF (wife acceptance factor), lol! I had to put freaking furniture around mine to make her happy. Of course it cost as much as the damn TV :( (57" '04 Hitachi UltraVision, 57S700)

crappy pic, but....
http://dirtrider.net/images/tv.jpg

LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCOS and other new sexsay stuff.

While there is a big-time sexy factor to a flat or nearly flat screen, keep in mind; the picture is still not as good as a good RPTV or direct view TV. To date, the best LARGE screen picture comes from rear projection. LCD is primarily good for smaller screens, both plasma and LCOS have a problem with displaying "black blacks" (which is just a tad important) stuck pixels, etc. Then you need to think about your HT equipment... are receivers/processors/speakers flat? So you have a picture frame on the wall, where do you put all the other stuff to maintain the "flat" ? No doubt the flat technologies will get better PQ and dominate, but right now they are a compromise.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
OK, What is the difference between LCD and Plasma? Is one better than the other?

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
Anybody?

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Thanks for the info guys. I had already gone down to Best Buy to see what was available and took some measurements. Unfortunately a 36" TV will be just shy of fitting in my entertainment center. The doors fold back and lay flush against the sides so taking the doors off makes no difference. Measurements and size was not the issue, just the "technical" aspects of the TVs on the market today. You all have given me some great info and I'll probably be going with one similar to yours Timr.

LoriKTM

Super Power AssClown
Oct 4, 1999
New Mexico
Originally posted by MikeT
OK, What is the difference between LCD and Plasma? Is one better than the other?

Mike, here's a little blurb on the differences:

http://pcworld.shopping.yahoo.com/yahoo/article/0,aid,107907,00.asp

Until recently, manufacturers haven't been able to build the LCD glass in sizes large enough for the big-screen TVs, but expect that to change in the near future.

Here's another discussion:

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/learningcenter/home/tv_flatpanel.html

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
You all have given me some great info and I'll probably be going with one similar to yours Timr.

Cool!  :thumb: I love my TV, and everyone who sees it compliments on how good the picture is.  But, it's nothing fancy, just a good SONY Tv.

Top Bottom