DirtyDrew

Jul 8, 2005
So I was riding today doing some hill climbs. I get onto one and lose traction and decide to turn around and go back down and dump my 97 rm 250 in the process. I obviously bent my pro tapers, so I bought a new set. But with the bike on the stand and the triple clamps faced directly forward the front wheel is pointed a hair to the right. Looking down the fork legs it appears that the right fork is pulled back somewhat compared to the left. Did I bend the fork tube or what? Triple clamps??

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
you must have landed pretty dang hard to bend the triple tree's or forks.. pull the front axle out and see if that bent.. maybe ya bent the brackets that hold the handlebars...

DirtyDrew

Jul 8, 2005
MX86 said:
you must have landed pretty dang hard to bend the triple tree's or forks.. pull the front axle out and see if that bent.. maybe ya bent the brackets that hold the handlebars...
Thing is it wasn't that bad of a spill. I've had way worse. I checked the clamps that hold the bars into place and they seem fine. I will pull the axle and check it when I get a chance. Thanks for your help :cool:

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Try loosening the lower clamp bolts, then straddle the front wheel and grab the bars and twist it back straight, then re-torque the lower clamp bolts. I will just bet it is just tweaked in the clamps and not seriously hurt. This is fairly common especially with stock triple clamps.

DirtyDrew

Jul 8, 2005
I pulled the axle and it is not bent. Looking at the forks from the side it appears that the right fork starts to bow backwards right around the middle of it. But it still compresses and rebounds smoothly.
I will try loosening the lower clamp bolts and re aligning the wheel...But this bike does not have inverted forks and the front axle mounting brackets can twist 360 degrees with the axle out if that makes any difference...

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
well if the fork is bending.. then there is an issue...

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
With the wheel pointing off in one direction, it could still be that the top and bottom trees are no longer aligned. But this would not correct a bent fork tube, if it is indeed bent.

DirtyDrew

Jul 8, 2005
Thank You Griffbones,
That appears to have done the trick, But, Is there any way to get the front wheel perfectly aligned other than just eyeballing it??

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
Normally I just eye ball it then bounce the front end a few times, then re-torque the lower clamp pinch bolts. Sometimes a tube will look like it is bent back when they are out of alignment, it is normally just an optical illusion.

DirtyDrew

Jul 8, 2005
griffbones said:
Normally I just eye ball it then bounce the front end a few times, then re-torque the lower clamp pinch bolts. Sometimes a tube will look like it is bent back when they are out of alignment, it is normally just an optical illusion.
Good deal man... I was pretty pissed about the idea of possibly having to buy a new tube.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it :nod:

tekx

Mar 15, 2007
DirtyDrew said:
Good deal man... I was pretty pissed about the idea of possibly having to buy a new tube.
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it :nod:

same here. i just bought a yz125 that "wasnt running". me being the star mechanic i am, put the plastic back on from where someone had removed it, kicked it over about 5 times and went for a spin.

the first thing i noticed was i was turning almost hard right to go straight. then i dumped it. on asphalt. i rode it for about a minute and a half before hand.

anyway. i straightened the bars as best i could but noticed the wheel going hard right and about panicked when i looked at the $377 pricetag of an outer fork.

the fender does not line up with the tire. at all. but nothing is visually bent. when i get home from work tomorrow i will give it a try.

thx

Top Bottom