FoxRacer357

Feb 21, 2007
im using a twin air filter , i am oiling it with bel-ray filter oil it is very tacky. cleaning it is kind of hard because i cant find anything that takes the oil out of the filter. i tried twin air powder cleaner takes the dirt out not oil, tried k & n filter cleaner and it takes the dirt off and no oil agian. soap and water doesnt do anything cause its water proof and bel ray doesnt make a filter cleaner, used gas once worked great but heard it was hard on the filter. so if you could jus let me know some cleaners that will work, it would be greatly apperciated. thanks

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
FoxRacer357 said:
im using a twin air filter , i am oiling it with bel-ray filter oil it is very tacky. cleaning it is kind of hard because i cant find anything that takes the oil out of the filter. i tried twin air powder cleaner takes the dirt out not oil, tried k & n filter cleaner and it takes the dirt off and no oil agian. soap and water doesnt do anything cause its water proof and bel ray doesnt make a filter cleaner, used gas once worked great but heard it was hard on the filter. so if you could jus let me know some cleaners that will work, it would be greatly apperciated. thanks

What does Bel-Ray recommend?

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
First use a little kerosene, then soap and water, then plain water. Squeeze it out and let it dry out of the sun. It should be clean (of dirt and oil) and ready to oil again.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
Don't know. I have never even heard of varsol!

You can reuse the kerosene and make a gallon go a long way.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Any type of solvent is going to be hard on it but it's a relative thing, we've always cleaned our filters with mineral spirits or kerosene and then soap and water as DWreck advised. We always get at least 2 seasons out of a filter before it starts to disinigrate to the point I'll replace it. They may wear faster if it's your only filter as we are usually rotating anywhere from 3-7 different air filters through the bike at any given time.

Last edited:

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
PJ-1 makes a good air filter cleaner that we use in the shop, soak it down for a few minutes and then rinse it out with water and it's clean. If I didn't use No-Toil I would be using the PJ-1 stuff.

jimmy 420

Dec 7, 2005
i agree about the no-toil that is all i use it doesnt breakdown the filter at all i dont no why more ppl dont use it i hav found no draw backs to it

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
I'd like to try it but isn't that the stuff that can't be used on twin air filters? We've always used twin air after one season of uni filters which I hated.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
I'd like to try it but isn't that the stuff that can't be used on twin air filters? We've always used twin air after one season of uni filters which I hated.

I've been using it on a Twin Air, a Uni and a couple stock filters.. not had any issues at all.

thebleakness

Sep 19, 2006
Chili said:
I use No-Toil on my twin airs, whites and UNIs and never had any problems. I recently won a No-Toil air filter for my 450 so we shall see if that holds up! :nener:

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Chili said:

I use it on my twin-airs with no issues at all. One of the filters is over a year old and looking and holding up well.

No-Toil uses alcohol to thin it so it applies easily (then the alcohol evaporates leaving the tacky oil).

Alcohol shouldn't be any harder on the foam than solvent,gas etc (should be less).

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The Uni filters had a problem initially with No Toil but they changed the glue they used to hold it together and fixed the problem.

No Toil is the way to go :cool:

Chili

Apr 9, 2002
Ahhh it was the Uni's then, I knew there was a filter you couldn't use it with and that was the reason we didn't try it, makes sense now as we were using Uni filters around the time I considered it. Using the alcohol set up i'll assume it goes on real thin like the twin air stuff? I've never been all that fond of that so I stuck to the Maxima FFT, but if No Toil is that easy to use I'll give it a go at some point in the future.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Just make sure you shake the container very well before using it. It will separate if it sits for any length of time. And use latex gloves. The solvent will put holes in those blue nitrile gloves.

I love being able to wash my filters in the kitchen sink :) (don't tell my wife!)

Uncle Alpo

Aug 22, 2007
I use Twin Air's Liquid Dirt Remover on mine. It cleans off the dirt and oil really well. It's worth getting one of their tubs, too, as you can keep the cleaner good for a long time.

DLHamblin

May 27, 2005
Chili said:
Ahhh it was the Uni's then, I knew there was a filter you couldn't use it with and that was the reason we didn't try it, makes sense now as we were using Uni filters around the time I considered it. Using the alcohol set up i'll assume it goes on real thin like the twin air stuff? I've never been all that fond of that so I stuck to the Maxima FFT, but if No Toil is that easy to use I'll give it a go at some point in the future.

Yes, you want to let the filters sit a couple hours after oiling before really using them to let them tack up well. (You can install on bike, just wait a couple hours before running them). I keep the next filter already oiled in a zip-loc bag.

Top Bottom