MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I've actually had this product for awhile and just got around to trying it out (sorta) on a new filter. The oil I have is the spray on kind so ymmv. I'll state right here that I haven't actually tested this in riding conditions and I'm not 100% sure I am even going to :)

Garage was about 35 or 40 degrees and I was getting some bikes ready for a couple big rides. Figured it was a good time to bust out new filters and give the TwinAir Bio product a try. Opened up my nice clean soft filter and set it on some paper towels. Quickly scanned the can for directions and set about spraying the filter down. This stuff is green, very light green in my case but it nice that you can see how good of coverage you have. After getting a nice even looking coat on the filter I donned my rubber gloves and set about squeezing/massaging the oil into my filter NOT.....Filter was hard a rock, I could put some dents in it by there was to be no squeezing. I set the filter to the side and set about closing the garage door and firing up the torpedo heater. Put the filter in front of the heater (a safe distance away) and went inside for a few minutes. Went back out and the inside of the filter was still frozen, resorted to rotating it a bit closer to the heater. It finally thawed enough to massage the oil into the filter but by this time it appeared most of the oil had run off the frozen filter. I sprayed it down again and repeated, most of the green color is really faded and I am a bit apprehensive about how well it is oiled :( It feels a bit oily to the touch but so far this stuff is NOT sticky like No-Toil. I doubt you'd have this problem with pour on oil (if they make it) but I don't think I want to heat the garage or do this in the house just to oil a couple filters).

I [may] test the filter in Reno as I suspect there won't be much dust but I'm a bit nervous about it.

Anyone else have experience with this stuff?

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I'm not sure, the stuff I have is spray on and was a freebie. I have another new air filter and am thinking about storing it and the can inside overnight, then taking in the garage and oiling it down to see if it looks like it gets better coverage. I'm sure I'd like the pour on version better, it gives me peace of mind to see some drip out when I'm massaging it.

I just did a quick search and they do offer it in both spray and pour on.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Bio-oil

I just got the MSDS's for the Twin-Air and No-Toil Bio oils, cleaners, and rim grease. I work with MSDS so I know something about them. A quick scan of the Liquid Bio Power, 159017, is made by ChevronTexaco and it is Highly Flammable, Harmful, and Dangerous to the Environment. It is mostly comprised of Heptain. Interesting, this is right from Twin-Air. No-Toil is a completely different composition of two ingredients - Carboxylic Acid and Isoproponal. It also is flammable and under Section 6 (Reactivity Data) it advises to not use this product with aluminum at temeratures above 120degF. The No-Toil cleaner is Sodium Carbonate, a common cleaner. The Twin-Air is a little more complicated.
I have been toying with the switch to No-Toil from Bel-Ray (which I've used for over 25 years). Just interesting stuff to read for me, kinda scary sometimes.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
FWIW, I really, really like the No-Toil stuff, and can't think of any reason to dislike it or switch. I imagine that you got some free product and were just trying it out. Good to see other manufacturers coming out with bio-friendly stuff (that is if it really is!).

Anyway, as far as oiling, I bought a small oiling tub (branded by TwinAir, ironically http://www.twinairusa.com/images/prod_oiltub.jpg), with a lid that seals. About the size and shape of a dinner plate, about 4"-5" deep. I emptied the entire bottle of No-Toil liquid oil into the tub, and soak/massage the filter element in the tub. When done, I squeeze the excess back into the tub, and put the lid back on to seal and prevent the alcohol in the oil from evaporating. Only thing to remember is to shake/mix the tub of No-toil before oiling a filter.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
THE ACTUAL OILS & CLEANERS

The Material Safety Data Sheets I got from them are for the actual oils, cleaners, and rim grease (only no-toil sent an MSDS for rim grease). The MSDS, as you are probably aware, break the component into it's basic ingredients, safety precautions, spill and clean-up, flammability and fire fighting methods, first-aid for the user and doctors, etc. I was curious about these products because even though they work great and are touted highly the manufacturer is still only in it for the money. I too want to wash my filters in the sink but some of the chemicals are in question (to me) as harmful. I think the No-Toil looks the best. Also, I plan to procure my own cleaner since it's readily available and cheap at supermarkets (the MSDS tells you what it is by the CAS #). Just neat stuff to me. I hate using kerosene and then soapy water too, it's just too messy!

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
FortyPlus...

Thanks for doing the MSDS research. And don't be shy about posting your "grocery list" when you find a good cleaning product! ;)

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Yes the Twin Air stuff was free to me and I figured it was worth trying out. I also have the Twin Air tubs that I used when I was using their oil and cleaner. As soon as I decide whether I'm staying with the Twin Air or going back to No Toil I'll clean the tubs and use them for that.

Even with No-Toil I didn't actually clean filters in the sink, I used a bucket of warm water.

I left the Twin Air spray can inside overnight, took it out to the garage and sprayed a warm filter and it immediately froze again. I'll probably end up getting a bottle of oil for now, use the spray this spring/summer and then make a decision.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Honda In The Market

Honda also has a bio-oil, cleaner, and rim grease. My friend bought a kit thinking it was the "other" type and tried to clean his stock oiled filter with the granular powder cleaner (Sodium Carbonate), needless to say it did not work, LOL. I told him what it was for, the bio-oil. In any case I plan to secure data on hondas product also, I've been told by some sources it's made by No-toil, hence that's what the MSDS would say. Other manufacturers are coming out with this stuff left and right. Good moves in the right direction.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
i am just wondering if baking soda (sodium bicarbonate, NaHCO3) will be strong enough to dissolve the No Toil oil.

i am going to do the experiement tonight and will keep you posted.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Cleaner

The active cleaner in No-Toil is Sodium Carbonate. It's very inexpensive. I've found it to cost about 50 cents per pound. It's available a local supermarkets. Make sure it's pure (like No-Toils product) w/o additives and perfumes. Since I clean filters very ofetn I use alot of kerosene and dish soap. A switch to No-Toil will eliminate the kerosene step and dish soap is more expensive that the bio-cleaner. I don't think baking soda will work.

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Finally got around to 'attempting' to clean a couple dirty filters last night. I am very disappointed :( Followed the Twin Air intructions which include letting the filter soak for 15 minutes. The filter was still dirty and stained. I mixed up a new bucket of hot water and cleaner and tossed it back in before I went to bed, I'll check it out when I get home from work today. I have a couple new filters for Aimee's bike and the Twin-Air product will never touch them, it's back to No-Toil for us.

Right now I don't even think I'll end up using the rest of the free stuff.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Thanks for the follow-up post Mr. Lucky. I can't think of anything I don't like about the No-Toil product and procedure.

I recently read about a line of disposable filters coming out that are pre-oiled. "Ready To Race", "Race Ready", or something like that. Not a cheap alternative, and I like the satisfaction of knowing that I have a throughly oiled filter on the bike.

elf

Jun 7, 2003
Smit-Dog said:
I recently read about a line of disposable filters coming out that are pre-oiled. "Ready To Race", "Race Ready", or something like that. Not a cheap alternative,

Ya I saw those filters, there like 10 bucks apeice. that could get real expensive.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom