scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
It was a tad bit warm........if you live on the sun. It was freaking roasting.

I brought out the family and met up with some firends. who came out for there first event. Placelast and Chris were already there. Thumbs was on his was out. Saturday sitting around baking took alot of energy out of me. Though I was really looking forward to the night run. Took a little time to rig up my custom light set up. This consisted of taping a flashligh to the fender and a mountian bike helmet light to my helmet. Also inserting some glow sticks in the wheels of my bike just to up the bling factor. The mountain bike helmet light worked great and the course was fun and easy. Only one small tip over for me as I hit a rock I ddin't see. The speeds were slow as promised and you could just cruise through the course

Sunday, up early as my non AC'd camper became a sweatbox.
I programed in the race and couldn't get it to come even close to getting it to verify correctly. Triple checked all my entries and they were right. I guess it's another ICO vs watchdog thing. As the race was about to start, i didn't have an more time to monkey with it. Chris said his verified beacuse he entered the free times differently than the route sheet stated. Ok, I'll ride off his time. Off we went, the first loops were teh same night course again which was fun , but this was our 4th time around the 4.4 mile course. After that it's out into the wasteland we go. This was one of teh rockist most chewed up courses I've seen. They must've been watching the Ernsberg enduro right before they laid this out. It was a cooker and you really had to work hard. The waterfall drops were very cool, and the check up the jagged rock face was great. There was one particularly nasty hill that had 4 or more guys stuck on it each loop. My 3honey just motored right up as I picked my way though them.
The one thng that was odd for the club is they put us through a ton of whoops. It reminded me of a district race. Like I said you had to work hard. Thumbs dropped out after loop 2, and chris and I soldiered on. They had a helecopter filming the race and should have some good shots of us dicing. Between that and my helmet cam footage, I think we have it documneted. For loop 3 they ran us out 10 miles to my finish which let us drop down the waterfalls again. I know I got 4th or higher, because only 4 in my class finished. Everyone else DNF'd. Did I mention it was Hot and Rough. :yikes: Chris had a little mister with him on the trail which helped and after each loop I dunked my camel back in the ice cooler just to lower my body temp a bit.

I'm glad I finished and hope to see the Helecopter footage soon.

John thanks for the BBQ sauce and jerky. Thats one sweet new ride you got. I'll let you fill everyone in on it.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
I got out there Saturday at about 10:30 and it was allready in the hi 80's. I spoted John's truck bed set up and a shiny KTM RFS next to a large rock that was used as a campfire spot. I pull up and attempt to level the trailer. I was flying the knucklehead flag and the trailer makes 2 attempts at rolling downhill. DOH!

The afternoon is too hot to play ride so we sit and enjoy chips salsa and a cold beer under the shade awning. We spot Scar ride by with kids in tow. We later find his camp with Lori his better half hanging with friends of thiers that came out earlier. Tim informs us that Thumbs is going to make it out but when he spoke to him at noon, he was still in bed, I remember that "before marrige stuff". John and I head to the Luau and bring pork loin that had been in the smoker all afternoon. The Luau offered up some good grub, and we didnt need to mess the kitchen up. Tony showed up (I was beginning to think he wasnt going to make it). We sign up for the night race and go to prep for the ride. The night loop was a kick, not terribly challenging but it was fun. After we sat around the fire for a bit then headed to bed around midnight, seemed earlier but with the night run time got away.

I must have slept great cause it seemed like minutes later it was time to get up. John made me some eggs for breakfast. Thanx again pit dad. I programmed in the route sheet knowing some of the quirks of the watchdog now but I still didnt verify correct, oh yeah, got to remove the 1st speed change the watchdog always leave in. After that mine is correct, but Tony and Tim are coming up wrong. Arent these the guys that helped me learn the watchdog?? I take off on a test of Johns new scoot. Nice, a KTM 250 4s with a big bore taking it to 350ish or somthing. Turns well, and I gave it the Jack Rabbit chase test, did well, I could get used to that. I got back to find I had a couple of minutes before our minute 9 start line. I finish getting my camel bak and goods ready and head to the line just as we are released. DOH! I look down to find I failed to flip my card over from using the backside lastnight. I rush up to the 2.9 to give me enough time to flip the card and re-use the tape. I liked the day course, got confused on when the break mileage was. It was just a little tough for the temps. We did manage to jam all 4 on our line into a check for zeros (sorry Tim if your leg got some wheel rash). I took a slow speed low side in the early part that smarted, when I removed my shoe lastnight, I thought I may have broken somthing in the foot, it has nice colors and is swollen, but not as bad today. As the speeds got faster I couldnt keep up the speed to the check at the waterfall (where I fell) and droped a minute, the cool water provided was nice tho. The trials tire still is a big plus in getting traction and allowing me to clear stuff better than expected, its downfall is in the fast whoop sections where it gets a little squirmy. Ill keep the trade concidering the bulk of what we ride.

The Heli was awasmome! At one point it was shooting me but I was almost 2 minutes hot when Tony goes smokin by. After passing a possible I try unsucessfully to catch him to see if we can get some footage of us diceing it up. Oh well, guess it wont be used in "On Any Sunday III". Tony, without timekeeping was unwilling to push thru the whoops with the temps and called it quits after his camera appearance. Tim and I stuck it out, there were 5 finishers in amature and it looks like I took a 3rd place finish.

I was tired on the drive home and bedtime came early but my aching foot woke me up a few times, but I dont think it will cause any future probs. All in all I give it :cool:

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
I took my usual Fri. afternoon off and the first order of business was a nap as I had a looooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnggggggg drive ahead of me, and you will see. But as I laid my head to rest the faint thumping sound of the neighbor’s music selection could be heard – no nappie today! So I loaded up the truck, and they moved to Fresno…to pick up my new-2-me bike.

Last week my son and I took a mini vacation/road trip to Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia National Forest, just for practice and fun (600 miles of tire squealing in his fat-tired and HiPo chipped M3 wannabe Beamer 325is); this week we are going up the coast of NorCA (redwoods), Oregon and WA state, then swinging back down Mt. Rainer, St. Helens, Columbia River Gorge (by George, but he may not notice nor care), Crater Lake, Lassen NF, and maybe Hwy 49 or Lake Tahoe – beyond that it gets blurry and let me take you back to motorcycling before I lose you.

So on our way to Yosemite Matt Cassle, the owner of the KTM RFS in question and for sale meet at a place near the Park entrance at a riding area, 4k’ in elevation, called Miami Creek. There’s no one there except us and one or two others but we never see the others. Now this becomes my 7th buy-a-bike test ride. I suit up and speed off being led by a local, Matt. Meanwhile I’m getting used to this bike and liking it on some of the mid-difficulty trails. Then we come to a fork and he reaches down and pats the “most difficult” symbol as with an affectionate hand on the lower left cheek of a (drink) server then flashes a thumbs up! What a character. Now on this trail we are dodging the bushes, having to duck left, then right, and wiggle the bars one side, then the other; off-cambers, steep inclines and descends. And I was thinking: doesn’t he know I’m on a loaner/maybe/test ride? I don’t want to break the guys bike – sheesh – give me a break. Up to this point I was staying with him but once it got tight – no way – he put some time on until one steep, rutted section where I got a pass but then found false neutral! Dang! And between the bike and a tree my leg/foot was stuck. I finally got free although he approached in time to see me vulnerable with bike on its side. Shucks. We got restarted on that slope, then up and over the top onto a fire road. Boy this thing does get sideways too; I know the ‘ol guy – the ‘89r or somethin’, somethin’ – would sure like it too. We then connected to other trails and the stream crossings, greenery; with ferns, trees and bushes was just a sight to behold. Several rutted mud spots has us wanting for clean crossings. Heh! Some test ride – I get this guy's bike muddy too. Well Matt takes more than the allotted ½ hour and we do the major trails in just under an hour. Big mid-week fun. Thanks Matt.

Now back at camp I change back into street clothes and do business – I want this thing. The seller bites my offer and we load it up on Matt’s pick’emup for safe keeping in his garage until later.

So later it is as I (are you still with me?) do the 3-hour drive to Fresno. And they actually have rush-hour traffic, of which there was no choice to engage. I arrive maybe 10 minutes early and Matt drives up to his house. We go directly to the meat of it in his garage and do KTM-talk/tango. He was gracious enough to previously wash it and touch up the spokes, but never did that revalve we talked about – I guess you get what you can. I eye his 450 for parts don’t grab score any (when he’s not looking) as they are all attached, nor would fit in my pockets either; I need to practice some fast moves in order to up my bling…

After spending too much time KTM-talking we load up and I head south to Bako (as in Bakersfield). Booooorrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnggggg! Stopping for fuel I called Dirt Bike Dave; he insisted I stop but I’m sure he wanted to see my new horse, and was out on the curb with flashlight. He introduces me to his nice wife and I get the fine house tour – he has room for a tennis court in the back yard! My stop was short, as I needed to make some more progress before collapsing.

On the climb up and over the southern tip of the Sierras and into the high desert I began to wonder why I failed to bring directions to the enduro campsite – bonehead here. Ya know, I could be wandering around the desert looking for arrows like a lost explorer all night. I followed my dirt-rider instincts and at every highway intersection did not see the usual TWMC arrows, and the trail boss for this even was himself from Bako to boot. Surely I will see an arrow at the next highway intersection, but nope! I kept driving further and deeper into the desert, away from civilization, and closer to Death Valley, for those of you who may be unfamiliar with this part of the country. It gets way lonely out there in the dark, on those lonesome roads late at night. Pat Mojave, past Jawbone Canyon, Past Garlock, Past Johannesburg in the distance. At one point I was about to fall asleep at the wheel when there’s this huge rush and dust cloud engulfing me and my pickup at highway speed, threatening to take the wheel from me. So I wrestle that bandit mano-a-mano for several rounds – I’m wide-awake now! Two hours had passed before I finally see a club arrow way out by Charlie’s Place, a Stonehenge outcropping. There’s many a motor home and toy box setup, yet only one other unloading as I pull in at 11pm. I asked if they were TWMC, and they affirmed. I find the huge-est rock to park by, hoping to break wind although no amount of maneuvering does much good. With the 1/3 moon as my light the pickup-bed tent goes up and I crawl in my bag at midnight to a sky full of stars.

Sat. morn comes early as usual for me. I meander to say hello to long-time and club-founding members for catch up. The trail boss is too busy in his mind to give me something to help with so after making the rounds I wander back to my rock and adjust the levers and bark busters on my new ride. I had like all day to fiddle, and it was turned into something useful when rigging up a helmet light. 55 watts, with fuse. Ya know an in-gann-ear (I are one) has to fiddle, otherwise there’s no faddle (ing). Must do my alma-matter some pride.

During one of my chair moments 2Stroke4Fun pulls in and circles his wagon. I help to confuse matters of course and we almost christen his trailer, 2x; kind of reminds me of being back on the farm and almost losing another finger. Ever meet a farmer or mechanic missing a finger? Well I hope Chris’ wife isn’t reading this otherwise she may just have to come out next time to supervise us stooges. It really wasn’t that bad although a little embellishment makes a good read, eh?

So Chris gets the smoker going (finger lickin’ good a comin’!) and with the heat we resign to parking in the lawn chairs all afternoon – the heat drained the little ambition we had to ride.

We did visit the Scar camp. They met up with some friends of whom were here for the first time. After some chat we meandered over to the potluck buffet. Chris’ meat was a big hit and by far the best plate. Thanks man. The kids were doing the limbo or whatever that game is called when you move the stick lower and lower and try to go under flat-footed. Note none of the adults were trying, or even mentioned joining in the game. Thumbs shows in his party attire and we later make it over to back to rock camp to ready for the night loops.

Now we have some variety here: Scar’s friend Baja Design/aftermarket; Scar with his duct-taped flashlights, moreover shod with spoke-delight light-sticks (whatta gimmick; does that mean you stole them from the little Scars? Bad daddy); Thumbs with OEM; Chris OEM’d with MTB supplement. And lastly: me; spec’d-engineered again, running at design, proper-calculated load by the thick book I paid dearly for in college.

So here we head off on the last minute together, into the dark. It was fun for one second, as I was sweep for our minute. Between the well-lit dust and squirrelly sand whoops and washes, and being on an unfamiliar bike, it was near the almost-fun mode. Well, maybe better although I had too many new things to get used to. We were running the kid’s loop and I was for one very glad as it could not be much more difficult in the dark. Am I a wimp or squid? No falls, but oh so clumsy trying to get a rhythm which seemed to escape my grasp. I need more visual feedback to get my coordination. Loosing the course once I took Scar and his friend with my lost ness but thanks to Scar we found some tape and rejoined. Actually – not to diminish his effort but maybe I was the only one lost? Funny thing about night riding is not just the whole how-do-you-get–a-rhythm thing but also the fact it’s sure adds another dimension to riding; the short loops seem so much longer, and memorizing terrain features with each pass difficult. Kind of like being new to timekeeping. The end came all too soon with refreshments via a remote cooler filled with ice and beverages. After a social 20 minutes we all left and returned to camp. Strange thing as I was plodding along my vision was for the worse. I repeatedly wiped my goggles, swore before the next night ride I’d change my goggle lens to clear, then accepted the fact my eyes may be older than the rest of my body, and slowly made it back to camp. Odd. Then I discovered my dilemma: my light’s lens pointed skyways. Whodunit?

Some burning logs later, we call it a night.

Next morning comes fast as the fast boys of the SoCaWreckingCrew scramble for position. Before the start they all get to take my new scooter for a spin; I’ve never seen consecutive starter-button-inspired smiles.

The crew scoots away, and I sweep to my check 2.1 miles out on the second loop. We setup our tiebreaker behind some rocks and wait for the check burns to occur. Tony is too hot, as was Chris; Scar manages to zero it or near zeros it (sorry: I scored everyone who passed thru.) With everyone’s passing I rode the loop back to camp, loaded up and headed out. See ya’all at Troy Meadows campsite come July 4th weekend. How about a Saturday night-ride to Monache Meadows, near the south fork of the Kern down the jeep road?

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
Great ride report guys. I play rode on Saturday but was done by noon. If I was that hot play riding I couldnt imagine doing an enduro. When I grow up I wanna be just like you guys just better looking. :nener:

Zelpo

Feb 22, 2004
Great write up John. Was happy to show you around, and yeah I kinda figured we went over the time line. What can I say, I just couldn't help myself, some of those trails are pretty decent :)

If I'd known you were going to have an 11pm arrival time, I wouldn't of yacked so much! I seriously thought about the valves, but just didn't have the time. It was nice to clean it off and see all the details and differences from the larger models. Oh, and I promise that I didn't ride it too hard around the block :p

Glad to hear you had a good time. I miss going to those events. Helping check at the Ghost Rider enduros a few years back was quite the experience ... I miss the desert! :(

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Results are up.

Tim, and Tony- It looks like they have you guys scored wrong on the 4th check (1st check of the day loop) it has you 8 minutes late.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
yep already requested a double check of the scores. we all zero'd that one. Looks like I'll be 3rd. which seems to be the pattern for our minute. Chris Darren and I are all 3rd. And thumbs was uuuggghhhh, well something else. :uh:

Good ride to all.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
scar tissue said:
And thumbs was uuuggghhhh, well something else. :uh:
I was home drinking a beer before you were packed and ready to leave the desert. :nener:

that's the beauty of a DNF.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I have some good helmet cam footage of the first 2 loops. I'll bring copies to Kennedy Meadows. Chris if you bring your laptop, maybe we could watch it there? If I get real crazy , maybe I'll be able to bring a projector.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I'd still be up for that.

Top Bottom