Jan 25, 2000
scar tissue said:
I wouldn't plan on an easy course.

They don't call it the "Wicked Bird" for nothing. :worship:

Last edited:

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
nonick-

yep, rs version 2.2 beta. Wont take speed of 4mph. I got around that by figuring the time to the next speed change. At 4mph it is 3 min to .2 miles, at 6mph it is 2 min to .2 miles, so I added 1 min free time at the 8.3 mile mark. It works even tho the sheet will be wrong for that .2 mile.

I cant get it to do more than 2 resets to 0.

Do you have the rs file for the Wicked Bird? If so you can mail it to me at 2strok4fun -at- adelphia dot net. replace the -at- and dot with necessary.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
I programmed it in last night to the newest version of the Watchdog. Everything worked well, and verified fine. 3 resets to 0 are no problrem, 4MPH no problem either. See you Sunday.

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
I programmed mine too for the 1st time. So you don't have to program an end after the last speed change? I did all the resets and speed changes. Do I set my minute, start time and keytime when I get there Sun?

Sorry for the stupid questions but I'm just learning enduros and computers

I'll be up Sun morn. Thanks in advance for your help

Gregg

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
There not Stupid questions. We've all asked them.

Yes everything else on Sunday Although you could put in yor start time of 9AM. But you won't have key time or your minute until you sign up. Be sure to go with us to sign up so we can all get on the same minutes. That way we can give you some watchdog tips along the way. :cool:

FYI if you verify your programming you need to do it to each reset to 0 in order.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Well start time is 9:00, key time and minute when you get there. I dont remember setting an end.

see you sunday

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Well, I'll miss you guys ... I got the top end swapped out by 7:00 PM ... but there were just too many other things to get sorted out, so I called it quits for the night. Ride reports, please, when you can ...

I haven't been to a TWMC event since MAY. ) :

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Well I scrambled to get out there Sunday morning after two late nights going out. It took longer than planned and I rolled in about 10Min till race time. aready dressed but dehydrated, slightly hungover and stiff, I hustled to get signed up and out. I was the last sign up row 17, all the other rows were full. A good turn out for ths event.

I was all by myself, which wasn't all that bad due to what I thought would be no dust the whole way. 2 stroke phastphat and kelsorat were mixed in on the rows ahead to me. Thumbs was up on row 5. We said our quick hellos and off we went. not 50 ft in they started us down this tight rocky down hill. The course zig zaged across it. Fun but extra challeging right out of the gate. At the start, they informed us some crazy lady was out there pulling our ribbon (claiming the desert was hers) so the beginning of the course was a bit hard to follow.

Some very creative lines and routes were being laid out. The course though short looked quite fun. The reason I say looked is I really enjoyed it until mile 6 where a stray piece of metal ended my day by ripping through my front tire. I limped back to camp waited for Thumbs to come in from loop 1, said my goodbyes and drove home. 4 hours of driving, $40 in gas, $8 in tolls, 20 minutes of riding :(

Oh well thats the way it goes sometimes. Shockingly My score card wasn't the first in the score can, someone else had DNF'd earlier than mile 6.

until next time :ride:

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
Here is a brief re-cap.

I forgot to refule during the break and ran out of gas about 3 miles into the 3rd loop. :bang: I switched to reserve and spent about 5 minutes trying to refire my bike. Once it started I decided to try to continue the 11 more miles to the end of the loop rather than play it safe and go back. So now I'm about 6 minutes late and trying to make up time and conserve fule. I get to the next check 2 minutes late, not to bad. I forge on and run completly out of gas about 1/8 of a mile from camp and start pushing. I fuled up a camp and went back out to finish the loop. Thanks to a 5 minute reset at the end of loop 3 I was back on time for the start of the 4th.

Thumbs - 4th places novice - Thanks to the reset otherwise it would have been 20th place.

Scar - you heard his story.

PhastPhart - 9th place ammie - I think he lost the ribbon as did a few others on rows 13 & 14.

nonickname - 2 place master - Great ride Andy :cool:

2stroke4fun - DNF - lost the ribbon and missed a check but still rode the whole race.

kelsorat - 16 place novice - I think he was another ribbon victum.

Greg, it was nice to meet you and thanks for the finisher pin and IMS certs.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Well, for me it was a comedy of errors and of course Im' the great comedian. :joke:

I had the bike pretty much ready,
fluids changed, check
clean filter, check
new pipe, check
jetting estimated, check
dirt still firmly attached from the last ride, check.

The ONLY thing I had to do was to bolt the watchdog on and plug in the sensor wire, not too tough unless your a comedian like me :bang: I insisted, and I did it twice to make sure I did it wrong, that I plug in the sensor wire incorrectly.

I was confident I had the dog programmed correctly, got all info in and countdown was going without a hitch. There was only 1 other person on my minute so it was uncrowded. I left at my usual and and usually fast enough for first loop warm up pace not bothering to look at the dog as there is no need at this time. Not very far in I glance down and notice Im' allready down by 3.5 minutes! damn they must have this set up fast. I get to the 2.9 mile marker and notice Im' down 8 minutes, OK the sensor isnt working, oh well I only planned on this being a trail ride for me anyhow so no stress.

I proceed to roll along the course just keeping a fun pace having no Idea wether I am early or late, I run into some others from some other minute during a little dry creek section. I continue to follow ribbon that lead me and a few others off to nowhere. Turns out the ribbon I was following wasnt for our course. That lead me to T-bone the ribbon line again and I turn to follow some guys down the course. Some guys are stopped ahead of me so I stop to see where I am. They are on minute 1 and have 1 more check on their card. DOH! Well I figure I gots some time to burn and Ill wait for PhastPhart or Kelsorat to ride with. At that time, I take another look at how I plugged in the wire. DUH my mistake was imediatly apparent. Now DQ'd anyway I can ride and still try to keep time relax and have fun.

I enjoyed the course, knowing the area, I expected more rocks.

note to self:
Ill just leave the watchdog plugged in this time.
I need a fitness program for more strenght or some way to dock some years off, :) after the sod laying on Saturday and Sundays ride, Im toast.

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
Wow ... the Bird bites back ! I'm surprised to hear you guys weren't all on row 13. I may have done myself a favor by staying away .... I had my own hi-jinks on Saturday anyway.

I got all my parts on Friday night ... got started on the top end around noon or so ... fixed the broken power valve adjuster, removed the cylinder, drained all the water out of the bottom end, cleaned it all up ... removed the old piston, installed the new piston, remounted the cylinder, and then buttoned it all back up. However, when I added water to the rads, the fron of the cylinder was pissing out water .... so I had to break it all down again, and once again the bottom end had filled with water ... ARGHHHHH ... turns out the studs/bolts that the cylinder mounts on are removable - you can back them completely out of the bottom end .. the problem was that they were not all the way screwed down when I replaced the cylinder after putting in the new piston ... so when I screwed down the cylinder bolts, they weren't sealing the cylinder to the bottome end becasue the studs were partially backed out. I finally got it all sorted out but it was just way too late to get everything else together.

The good news is she started with one easy kick ... and the cylinder is no longer leaking water. Plus I installed a new IMS 3.2 GAL tank. Can't wait to take her out for a ride / break-in .... I'm thinking about a Gorman break-in ride next weekend. The Cal City thing is just gonna be too much - too much driving mostly.

kelsorat

Knucklehead Newbie
Nov 5, 2001
I too forgot just how far out Lake Lucerne is, and how much driving time was required. I arrived at 8am and began my stress-out to make race time. I was not able to verify all my Watchdog programming and just assumed that it would work correctly. I was wrong. I was also super nervous before the race, because the Wicked Bird is always a killer, rocky adventure. And as those Dirt Riders who have witnessed my skills, I ain't the best of riders. My anxiety was amped up and something shrunk in my riding shorts as I staged at the start. The start appeared to be a dropoff down the side of a cliff - if you can picture starting about 20ft in front of a ledge, you can't see what was in store for you, all I could see were riders on rows before me grabbing the brakes and disappearing down the ledge, I was freaked.
My row came up at minute 16 and the ledge actually turned out to be rocky descent that was zigzaged down the side and not just a dropoff. It was tricky but not bad at all. Some miles after the first check I was able to calm down and ride a safe but fast pace. The terrain they put us through was actually sandy as opposed to all rocks and gnarly hills so I was enjoying myself--that was until I lost the ribbon. Someone was pulling ribbon along the course earlier as Scar noted, and I had to backtrack a long 2 miles before I was able to pick up the course again. 1 mile back on course and I lost the freakin ribbon again, I was getting pissed now, and so were 2 other riders following me. By the time I made the second check I asked the scorers if I missed a check. They replied no, but now I was 7 minutes late. I made it to the start of the second loop, late and my watchdog was now way off ( didn't verify the programming). I had my backup odometer and watch, but this is no way to make a tie-breaker check correctly every time. I burned every check thereafter and also had course observers yell at me on one particularly tight section,ordering me to go back and stay within the ribbons to complete legally.
Lastly I performed a high speed lawn dart manuever with my head. I actually thought I might have broke my neck, but as it turns out after some Xrays, everything is good.

PhastPhart

Dec 15, 2000
I enjoyed the race. I was put on minute 14 with three strangers. I tried to get with 2 stroke but they won't put 2 ammies together.?

We started out ok but the one expert on the line convinced me my program was 1 minute early. I then tucked in and followed the group thru the first loop. At some point the leader must have taken the expert loop that was reserved for loop 4 only, & I missed the sign following the 3 guys.

When the course went up a steep gnarly rock water fall, one of the two guys in front stalled halfway up (Yamaha as you probably guessed) and took a good tumble down in the crevice to the left. His buddy stopped to help so I went around and kept after the one remaining guy.

It got progressively tougher until we got to a steep boulder infested down hill. A guy on a CRF 450 did a great stoppie right in front of me and landed his bike in the rocks to the left. I was sure glad I wasn't him. I got past him and down to the bottom and found the ribbon just stopped. There were about 7 of us wandering around looking for ribbon. I finally went across the valley to pick up the course from ten minutes earlier and followed it again.

I was ready to pack it up and head back to camp when I accidently stumbled across check 2. I was at that point 5 minutes late but I had my fender card marked and I was racing again. I was a little fun riding 5 minutes behind because I was like in a desert race again.

I got to check 3 one minute late and got back on time at the pits. I never did see any of those guys on my minute the rest of the day. I did burn 1 check by 15 seconds but I was right on time or just late in the special test sections.

2 stroke would catch me sitting as he was 1 minute behind and we could visit for a bit. My Watch dog seemed to work well although I still need to spend more time reading the manual.

Thanks to Tony for letting me guest ride. I'll practice my timekeeping and sign reading skills and be back.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
the Eel said:
Is anyone interested in 3 credits ... WatchDog 101 ?

leson 1: how to plug in the sensor

DOH! I failed

next time Ill answer C

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
I'm surprised at how many people got lost at this race. I was on minute 1, and that is usually a sure-fire recipe for me to lose the course about 27 times. The only time I lost the course all day was when I blew past the same corner on loops 2&3 because there was a burnt in trail going past the corner (probably about 9-10 miles in). After about 100 yards of no ribbon, I spotted the course off to my left. That corner may have been more of an issue for later minutes, since they might have been able to see some earlier minutes on different parts of the course. I know I had a couple of groups ride up to me from different directions during the race (looks like one was 2strok4fun).

In defense of the trailbosses, they had more than their share of issues in pulling this one off. Not only did they have to deal with the crazy ribbon-pulling lady (and I use the term loosely), they also had to reroute a couple of miles of course because it originally ran right through the middle of the rock-crawling event that was also going on out there that weekend. They probably could have made the split sign a little clearer, since I know PhastPhart's minute wasn't the only one to test-ride the special on the first loop. They told people at the rider's meeting that the split was at 6.3 miles, and was for the 4th loop only. But I'm sure alot of people (including me) missed the riders meeting because they originally said they weren't having one.

As for the race, I had a blast. I always love riding at the Buttes, even though I could do without the 4 miles of sand whoops going around the one big rockpile. I've gotten out of my workout regimen the last couple of months, and I paid for it on loop 4. I rode the whole final special with no feeling in my hands because my arms were so pumped. But I only dropped the bike once. And I managed to just barely lose the same number of minutes as the fast guys (3:59, thank-you-very-much. Always nice to catch a :59 every once and a while to make up for all of the :00's).

I wanted to come over an socialize a bit more this time, but I ended up spending pretty much all of Saturday chasing my daughter around on her PW50. She's becoming a total fiend, and you pretty much have to pry her off the thing.

Boodac

~SPONSOR~
Oct 31, 2001
My mom has a way of disapearing on us and I guess she figured the pretty colored ribbons were a trail to a birthday party. Didnt you guys notice her yelling at you to not ride on her front lawn? Oh well, next time Ill keep her chained up.
Excellent report guys really enjoyed hearing the stories.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Yep Andy, I was one who ran into minute one, an obvious problem since I started on 15. LOL

I had no complaints really about the course marking, I think I just missed a turn and inadvertently picked up ribbon from somthing not pulled in the past, I dont think I would have gotten so far off it it wasent for the misleading ribbon, maybe THAT was the path to the birthday party :). I know at least the TWMC crew does a good job of removing ribbon.

2strok4fun

Apr 6, 2002
Andy,

I just picked up the version 3 of the rollchart at enduro.4t.com and it worked really well, I just punched in the Wicked Bird #'s and it did everything easily and also prints 3 strips to a page instead of 1, auto assigned the loop number after the resets to 0 and had no problem with the 4mph.

check it out.

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
2strok4fun said:
Andy,

I just picked up the version 3 of the rollchart at enduro.4t.com and it worked really well, I just punched in the Wicked Bird #'s and it did everything easily and also prints 3 strips to a page instead of 1, auto assigned the loop number after the resets to 0 and had no problem with the 4mph.

check it out.

Nice. I couldn't remember the website to check for updates. I was tired of printing 12 pages to get a rollchart. Also, I don't think the program used to have the routesheet option. That'll come in handy when putting on an event.

Thanks.

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
2strok4fun said:
I had no complaints really about the course marking, I think I just missed a turn and inadvertently picked up ribbon from somthing not pulled in the past, I dont think I would have gotten so far off it it wasent for the misleading ribbon, maybe THAT was the path to the birthday party :). I know at least the TWMC crew does a good job of removing ribbon.

I think they had to do some zig-zagging out in the flat areas to make up for the mileage they had to cut out. Also, Checkpoints and UEA were both out there laying out and scouting for their events coming up in the next 3 to 8 weeks. So maybe you're lucky that you didn't launch off onto a 40 mile long District loop for experts. :ohmy:

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom