scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
The Wicked Bird was a fun race, very challenging.

I arrived late Sat. after battling horrific traffic going through Hisperia. They could definatly use some urban planning instead of just throwing up short lights every 20 ft. :think:

I arrived and brought a buddy (Sean) we unloaded the bikes and took off for as much riding as possible before dark. This was my 1st. ride on my new KTM 300MXC, and what a sweet ride it was. I felt pretty out of place as it handled completely different than my 250F. After a short time I got was very comfortabel on it. It feeels much lighter smaller and twice as quick as my 250f. A keeper for sure.

No one else I found made it out that night so, Sean and I wandered over to the HB party section. Some sick RVs with giant stereos. After several frostys we were invited to participate in the are they real or fake entertainment. Always a good time. :aj: We also got an awesome view of the eclipse. The desert sky was pretty clear at that time.

The next morning Eel and Jack arrived and we got signed up. My new ride has not one bit of time keeping equipment so I was going to hang on the back fender of the expert on my minute, or if you prefer to call it my standard operating procedure. :thumb: The shocker on the line was no one else was on my minute except my buddy Sean who has ridden about 4 times in his life. I take off and there's a pretty good 1st hill climb and that was the last time I saw Sean the rest of the race. There were people from earlier minutes laying all over the face of the climb. My 300 just picked its way around them like they weren't even there. Man this bikes floats over rocks ( and other people bikes)

I used the force for the whole race. Simply keeping the minute ahead of me in view and the minute behind me in back. The 2nd major hill climb was about 3 miles in, we waited at the bottom for some slow/ downed riders to clear, they never did so my 300 picked its way around them cleaning and surprisingly easily. I crusied through the whole loop without a mishap. Other riders were down everywhere.

Loop 2 Jack had enough and called it quits. I take off blasting through the sand washes in 4- 5th gear, My new GPR damper and Pro-action suspension really shined here. :yeehaw:

Made it through the first check and headed towards the 2nd big hill climb. More downed riders. I pick my way around them and pull in the clutch to pop the front tire over a rock and WHAM!

NO CLUTCH AT All. I hit the rock and insta stop, with a minor tip over. Appearently a tree branch in the sand wash must have hit the hydrolic clutch line because it was severed in two right by the master cylinder. Needless to say my day was over. I turned around and popped bike into gear to start it while going down the hill. I made I back to camp uneventfully and grabbed a cold one.

The Eel came in from loop 2 with a rear flat. We tired to reinflate it but it was a no go. He went out for loop 3 anyway on the flat and part of the way through the tire came apart and the steel belts wrapped up tight around the rim and back axle. :(

Eel had to hoof it back to camp. He was quite bummed as he had a good score going. Jack and him took off and recover his bike. I asked if we could help but he said he was fine, so we bailed. As we had wives waiting for us and we were already late thanks to my buddy Sean losing the course and getting himself lost for 3 hours.

A good time as usual. I look forward to seeing more of you out at the next evert.

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
Sorry to hear about all the bike carnage. It sure was some difficult terrain. Glad they're not all like this one!

Major bummer for Eel getting the flat! Looks like all he had to do was finish the third loop to take the win. I hate getting getting first place points knowing I wasn't the fastest rider. My ICO took a dump about 2 miles into the race, but that didn't make much differnce since I had to run 100% just to stay on time anyway.

deano...

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Dean where were you at/ Camped? Did you stay overnight or just show for the race? I was in the tent trailer right up front by the road.

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
Scar, I was right in the middle of the TWMC crowd. I was in a Tahoe 5th wheel and had my old black beat up 96 CR250 and my sons KX85 out front. You were the one with the tent trailer mounted on the bike trailer I assume? That was a neat set up!

Are you planning to come out to the Christmas Event? If so, I'll stop by and say hi!

deano...

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Yes I'm planning on doing the Christmas event. My trailer is a 2 axle car hauler with and tent trailer body welded to the front of it, which leaves room to haul some bikes on the back and still fits in the Garage. You know thos darn HOA's . I'll see you next time.

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Sounds like my kind of race. I have not been off the drawing board since the Ghostrider. Maybe I will make the Christmas event see ya. Brett

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
Brett, you would have loved it!

Did I read somewhere that you were planning to head over to Dove Springs for Thanksgiving? What days are you going to be there? Any one else from the club going?

deano...

dingoe

Feb 13, 2003
I want to jump in and say thanks to al from TWMC, and a big thanks to Dean and Larry for all the assistance.

As for the KTM 300, best bike I ever owned and I wish I had this past Sunday. Don't get me wrong, the Husqvarna TE-570 just motors along like a tractor. It's just once you loose it or it jumps from your grip, good luck dragging it back to the trail. I lost the bike over the edge of the third long rocy/silty climb and flooded it. When I finally got it running, check two had moved and I was done. So I just did a trail ride the rest of the race. I will say that I did like those trails. So much that I'm thinking of blowing off the hilltoppers desert race, and going back to ride the Wicked bird trail route this weekend. Plus I'll save the race fee, unless I run into misfortune like others. Hope ya'll are well and making headway on repairs. I only suffered some broken plastic and loose bolts here and there.

Thanks again for the enduro opportunity and next time I will finish. Looks it will just be my oldest son and I at the december ride. My wife said camping in the van in cold (what she calls cold) weather is the tough. I think my youngest put here to the test. Camping with a non-stop five year old is a handful. It was only her second time going out there with us. She always opts to stay home.

Well see you all in Dec. or sooner out on the trails.

Ed

P.S. If anyones going out please let me know, Like I said I may skip the race this weekend to trail ride the enduro route again.

ed

Top Bottom