the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
A bunch of us So Cal Wrecking Crew members were introduced to the Training Wheels Motorcycle Club (TWMC) several years ago. I think it was PlaceLast who got me started in the Club, with much assistance from Brett R. Ever since then I've been hooked on enduros - and since TWMC holds one nearly every month, it's easy to see why so many Crew members have popped in to enjoy a TWMC enduro from time to time ... MX Bundy, Old 'n' Slo, Mello Yello, 2Stroke4Fun, Dingoe, Tator, HoleShot, JWW, and KelsoRat have all come by, some more than once ... and Thumbs, PlayswFire, and Scar Tissue are all full-on club members who show up for pretty much every single event.

TWMC is a family enduro club and also happens to be a District 37 club as well. Each year TWMC hosts the Ghost Rider Enduro, a District 37 competition event, in October. This year's race marked the Ghost Rider's 25th anniversary, and it was also particularly cool that the backbone of our club, a guy named Ned Jones, just turned 70 this month. Ned still competes in the District enduro series, and he's been involved in the So California enduro scene for more years than I can count. A great guy, and a great club.

Thumbs and I were Loop 1 captains for the Ghost Rider again this year, which was easier than last year, since this year they broke Loop 1 up between 2 teams. We were responsible for laying out the first 20 or so miles, and then ribboning, staking and arrowing, and choosing check locations and speeds. When I say we, I mean to say Thumbs and I ... plus a ton of other people. The idea of Loop captain is really meaningless in the end, since you wind up working on your course with the help of so many great people, and many who are actually teaching you how it's done as you go along ... all folks who love the sport.

The Ghost Rider went off this past weekend without a hitch, ultimately. We did have to re-do some course at the last minute since the greenies or some other morons pulled a bunch of the course ribbons ... but this happens every year, usually just before race day. The race was nice and long ... almost 90 ground miles, and all the Loop teams laid out really great trail this year.

After all is said and done, it's rewarding to have 200 - 300 people come out and enjoy your handiwork, especially when you race other people's courses the rest of the year round. We had a real good turn out this year, and by all early appearances it was a great event ... with a live band and a huge raffle on Saturday night, a kid's race and a poker run during the day on Saturday, and then the big show on Sunday - the Ghost Rider.

This year I worked Check C with Thumbs, Scar Tissue, and Scar's son, Jake. We had a great time at our check, which was at the end of a special test section. We had a little bit of everything - some people on time, some late, some way late, and some a little too early ... like Paul Krause, for instance, who burned our check by just 2 seconds. Ouch ! It's fun working an enduro check, marking all the riders' cards as they come roosting through, and listening to the variety of comments you get ... most of which are very appreciative, and some of which are a bit crude but almost always hilarious.

So it was another great weekend here in So Cal. I had a great time working alongside my fellow Knuckleheads, and I think Jake might even be a little knucklehead in the making.

Anyway, anyone who ever wants to come out to a TWMC event, just let us know. We'll make sure you get up to speed and whatnot. There's nothing like chasing ribbon on a Sunday morning ....

www.trainingwheelsmc.com

CPT Jack

~SPONSOR~
Jun 27, 2000
Good post. Sorry I missed it!

nonickname

Mar 9, 2004
I'd just like to say great job to Thumbs and Eel for taking on loop 1. Eel made it sound like no big deal, but it's actually a ton of work to be a loop captain. Unfortunately, due to other projects, I wasn't able to help out with setting up this years course at all. Nice thing about our club is that there is always someone ready to step up and get the job done.

I had a great time working the event though. Eel dropped my check crew off at our check (Check B) on the way to his. We had one of those locations that looked like you couldn't hide a check at, but could barely pull it off if you were stealthy. We probably had ~20 people burn the check, and plenty of others that were surprised enough to barely make it into their minute.

Also had a great time watching the kids race. It was my daughters first race (they had a special super-peewee race for kids with training wheels), and she rode her PW like she stole it. Scared the hell out of her mom. The Havasu crew did a great job setting up 3 different courses to keep the various skill levels separate.

Finally, I'd like to double what Eric said about Ned. He's probably been club prez about 10-15 times in the last 30 years, and Ghostrider referee I don't know how many. He's put in more effort than most over the years to help make TWMC what it is, a great place to go ride/race and just hang out with friends and family. And at 70, he can still ride through just about as nasty of stuff as you can throw at him.

And I'm not just saying this because he's my father-in-law....

Tree

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 26, 2000
One of these days I'm going to make it out for one of these enduros. Scar has said a number of times how fun they are but the timing has just not worked out for me yet. :( I'm just afraid if I do one I'll be hooked. :cool:

brett r

Nov 6, 2000
Eric,
Your loop was awesome alot of fun and everyone seemed to really like it. Thanks for all your hard work and it is alot of hard work in hot crappy riding weather. later, Brett

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Great reporting Eel. I've haven't had the chance to work an enduro yet, but it sounds like fun.

I spent the weekend taking the Honda "Basic Riding Course" to get an M1, so I spent my time dodging cones in a parking lot. Then it rained and the last part of the course had to be rescheduled. (still not complete) :bang:

But now I know how to turn the fuel on (and off), how to turn the handlebars and twist the throttle. All areas that I was lacking.

Just wait 'til the next enduro. :aj:

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Per Eel "There's nothing like chasing ribbon on a Sunday morning ...."

AMEN Brother.

Jake and I had a good time. He liked having Eel and Thumbs share our camper. After our check work was over Jake and I went and found some nice rocks to climb on next to loop 3. It was fun seeing the better riders come through the rocks. I jsut wish I could've raced the event. The course looked fun. See you next race.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom