Two Problems - headshake and bar vibration

Sherby24501

Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 7, 2004
Once again I am looking for help/guidance, Having completed in several Hare scrambles in Michigan (7) on my 03 KDX220R this year I have started to finish the 2 hr Z class races (crashing less - 1 x in 2hrs at Battle Creek in Sept).

The bike is suspension set up is stock + increased spring rate in the front forks (set-up for 200-205 lbs) and heavier fork oil (7.5W). I have lowered the rear end 1 inch (spring pre-load) to make it easier for me to get on (a real big deal when you fall off 5-10 times /race and are tired). I have fitted a WER damper (didn't help the frontline stability much - although it stopped me getting spat off when I hit a Tree hard) and moved the bar position forward by rotating the clamps

Once I figured out how to keep hydrated, the two of the factors limiting my endurance/speed (other than lack of ability) are now :-

Numbness in my right hand due to bar vibration/gripping the throttle 40-60 mins into the race. (Stock Bar) My left hand seems OK.

The other is poor straightline stability of the front end in deep sand or mud (might be my riding position ?). Standing up helps a bit but doesn't cure it and I can't seem to power through the instability.

I have just increased the pre-load on the headstock (a little) and haven't tried it yet, but suggestions about either issue would be gladly received.

Thanks

Sherby :ride:

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
You do not lessen the rear preload to set height... you set the sag correctly and that's the only adjustments you make to the spring. If you need to lower it you need to purchase some lowering dogbones.

This is what is throwing your frontend out. Drop the forks in the trees when you finally get your lowering links in or you will be out of balance again!

lepper

Mar 8, 2005
Hint on getting on the bike after falling and being exhausted is... use your peg to get on. Just think of it as a step....

Top Bottom