Two stroke CNC mill'd head chamber.

Discussion in 'Fabrication, Welding, Machining' started by Pete Payne, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Pete Payne

Pete Payne MX-Tech Suspension Agent
    Staff Member

I have been Machining two stroke combustion chambers for 25 plus years on my manual lathe.
    And have been learning CNC machining (self taught) for about 14 years.

So I decided to CNC Mill a head chamber/dome .
    This is a YZ85 I did the other day.

I'll post a finish pic of it to where i did the final very light clean up and polish on the manual lathe.

I am pretty pumped on how the milling went.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...

- PRODUCT DEALS -

2. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard
    Staff Member

Pete that looks awesome. What size & shape end mill did you use and how long did it take? What type of CNC mill are you using and what software? I've been trying to learn Fusion 360 in the hopes of eventually putting a Tormach 440 or something similar in my shop/garage. We need more pics of your CNC adventures :-)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Pete Payne

Staff Member

Thanks Rich! I started off with BobCad way back when BobCad released there V-21 .I switched over to fusion360 Last December.
    I like Fusion better. The mill is a Smithy CNC1240 , its the older one with a 4 speed gear box but it gets the job done. I to want to switch to a Tormach with an ATC.

Ill put of some pics of other stuff I have made.

4. Pete Payne

Staff Member

The end mill I used was a 1'4" ball mill.

5. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard
    Staff Member

Thanks Pete! I'm looking forward to following your adventures in CNC.

Pete Payne likes this.