TX - T.O.R.O. Hare Scrambles??? TCCRA at Muenster?

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Are these monstrosities (e-scoring) going to be mandatory for the races after the break?

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
I think that escoring is going to be implemented after the summer break come hell or high water. I feel like someones heart was in the right place with escoring, but they must have gotten some bad advice. They also must have not known about the KISS principle. I am not planning on making any of the races after the break so I don't care. hopefully the officials will realize the system is overly complex, not user friendly, expensive and not very durable and chuck the whole mess. The TORO series promises to be a lot of fun and I am planning on making all of their races. The dead engine starts should prove interesting to old TCCRA veterans, and my KLX300 will not fare well in such conditions. I think this series is going to be a lot like the old days of TCCRA, before growth, politics and petty squabbling took the fun out of it. Light the fires, kick the tires and lets go racing :cool:

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I saw one harescramble vid where they would dismount their bikes, hold the clutch with their left hand and face backwards of the start. When your line was up, you had to spin, throw your right leg over and kick then go. Is that how it's supposed to be? Looked really neat.

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
When your line was up, you had to spin, throw your right leg over and kick then go. Is that how it's supposed to be? Looked really neat.

I don't think that is exaclty the way they will do it. With my short legs, I would need a trampoline to accomplish such a maneuver:eek:

TexXR

Jul 14, 2000
It would be pretty neat if they actually did something with the starts that would lessen the emphasis on all out horsepower. A simple dead engine start would be nice.

You could line up next to a 426, twist his throttle a couple of times while he wasn't looking, and just smile as you left him in your dust :p

will pattison

Sponsoring Member
Jul 24, 2000
as the new president of the texas offroad racing organization, please allow me to make the following official statement:

"all racers will be required to start with a dead engine. when the green flag is dropped, riders will start their motorcyles and go...except for tom hall, aka penguin. he will have to push start his."

better start training, tom. that klx is going to be heeeeeaaaavy in the sand!!:p

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Gee, thanks Will. As slow as I am you should give me a 1 lap head start. Can I use a milk crate so I don't fall off my bike trying to start it when the flag goes up? I am an endangerd species you know. :)

CindyGross

Aug 30, 1999
Please read note at bottom before message!

The live-engine start is asinine. The only place it belongs is motocross, along with starting gates, douples, triples, "rhythm sections",:silly: and everything else that goes along with that stunt show.

The dead-engine start is one of the great things about off-road motorcycling. No creeping, no jumping, no nonsense. Not to mention it's much more dramatic and exciting. Nothing rivals the instant dead-silence-to-roar-of-motors that the dead-engine start provides.

Give me ribbon, arrows, danger markings, uphills, downhills, sand washes, natural whoops, big tanks, skid plates, handguards, steering dampers. DON'T give me anything that says motocross. If I wanted to go around in a circle and do nothing but jump and turn for 15 minutes, I'd ride motocross.

Sorry, but you got me started. That ridiculous live-engine start is my pet peeve about the TCCRA.

Nothing personal.:D

Sorry, before piling on Cindy for the above, I posted it without logging on as me first! :eek: OK, now fire away. -----Pat Burroughs----

Last edited:

jdrobins

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2000
It's that Thumper thing, He keeps braggin about them holeshots:scream:
If he has a Dead engine start with that 426, he may not get out of the gate:silly:

taraker

Freedom Ain't Free
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Wait a minute! This whole dead engine start idea is a European deal / California thing and last time I check I was racin in Texas! First, it’s dead engine starts then who knows what’s next. How `bout tofu before you race? Maybe a cup of tea with that tofu!

Does NASACR have dead engine start, I think not!
How `bout NHRA? Pass this dead engine start idea around the pits at their event & see what happens!
Pace Supercross? Boat Racers? Horse Racing! Okay, maybe you got me there on horse racing…..

First, they will want us to start with dead engines, then they will want us to race with no engine, then it's onto bicycles. These people must be stopped!

(insert Braveheart patriotic music here)

Dead engine start idealists voted for Clinton! Dead engine idealists are tree hugger pinheads in disguise! We must unite to stop them. We must fight for our freedom to start our engines!

Okie, can I moderate the “No Dead Engine Start” forum?;)

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
I think it should be like this:

Every bike is pushed to the line in your particular class. Next to you is a five gallon steel can of gas. Each bike must be drained of fuel to include the carb bowls (checked by techs). At the sound of the pistol, each rider grabs his gas can and muscles the fuel into the tank, hops on and after several kicks, takes off, buttons are to be disabled. There are numerous advantages here of course. :p Small tanks fill up faster, though run out faster too. With big tanks, you have to put enough in to last but so much that unused fuel is excessive.

To make it even more interesting, along with the 5 gallon of gas is a 1 quart of Benol for the 2 strokers to mix - ratio right is optional of course.
:p

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
It's all quite simple: Motocross is live-engine. Off-road is dead-engine.

The live-engine start is for putzes who can't start their bike. I'm amused/amazed at the people that howl in horror at the thought of a dead-engine start. Jeez, if you can't even start your motorcycle should you really be out there merely riding it, let alone racing it?!?!?!?

:)

Pat Burroughs

Sep 10, 1999
Originally posted by taraker
Does NASACR have dead engine start, I think not!

Lots of redneck, corn-cob pipe smoking dental-deficients making one big continuous left turn on pavement. Doesn't count.

How `bout NHRA? Pass this dead engine start idea around the pits at their event & see what happens!

Lots of rednecks racing for five seconds at a time on pavement. Doesn't count.

Pace Supercross?

Nothing but a stunt show. Doesn't count.

Boat Racers?

More (drunken) rednecks. Plus they're racing on water fer chrissakes! Glorified yachting.

We must fight for our freedom to start our engines!

...and head for the trail!

:cool:

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
The live-engine start is for putzes who can't start their bike

I agree, except for us putzes who ride a KLX300. We should get to do a live engine start and get a 1 lap headstart. Everybody will lap us anyway, the first time we stall the bike and spend 15 minutes trying to restart. And besides, just riding my bike is like racing to me :eek:

penguin the old and slow

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Short of erecting a backward falling starting gate out at each event, I think the dead engine start is the best way.

I mean, come on, if you can't start it, Sally (Matt), you shouldn't be riding it! :scream:

(Just about the time I was going to move this to the flame forum *I* went and fanned it!

(Bad Gomer...Bad Gomer...Spank the bad Gomer... :))

penguin

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Feb 19, 2000
Spank the bad Gomer...

I think you would enjoy that too much;)

It will be entertaining watching some of us more mature racers trying to start our less than willing steeds when we flameout on the line.:confused:

jdrobins

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2000
Dead engine start, Okay I willing to try it, The bike starts pretty easy when cold, However after a fall, I am usually to tired to ride once I get it fired back up:D
seriously, It would give us slow amature's a chance for a good start.

Jim

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
Add "each bike shall be turned up-side down and rider will upright their bike" to my last post. :scream: Oh and "each rider shall tell a knock-knock joke to Taraker before upright their prospective bike."

yzguy15

Sprayin tha game
N. Texas SP
Oct 27, 2000
Wow, go on vacation for a week, and look at what you miss! Well I'm all for a dead engine start. I ride a 2 smoke, so it aint that hard to start.

Top Bottom