2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Cross-rutted...high-side. Two broken wrists and separated shoulder. I have had MANY injuries in my 30-something years of riding/racing. You all may think this is a "sissy" question, (my riding buddies do) but I am now wondering if my continuing to ride is logical...I've used the search button and found rider's experiences with this shoulder injury. But what I want to know is, has anyone had this typeIII (no more ligaments) and taken a hard fall on it again? It scares me since there's basically only muscle holding things together now, and it seems to me that with that main artery now more open to injury, a nasty fall could leave me bleeding to death on some sweet single track in the middle of nowhere. I asked the Doc. and he just looked at me...like I must be stupid to climb back on. LOVE the sport, but my wife and boys need their provider... facing an incredibley tough decision. Seven weeks into this now, the wrists will heal, but the shoulder feels scary and wierd. thanks

kelseybrent

Sep 25, 2002
Keep the shoulder muscles strong around it and you won't even notice it. Surgery isn't usually recommended, unless you're a quarterback, or for cosmetic reasons. You'll have a little bump of the clavicle that sticks up, but chicks dig that.

For rehab, light light weight (or elastic bands) when you have range of motion without pain. Front, side and back raises. Not sure how that will work with the broken wrists though.

I rode about a month after mine and that shoulder tired pretty quick, but it was back to semi-normal soon after that. EVS has a shoulder brace that seemed to help a little, but I think it's more for stablizing dislocations.

Definitely take care of the wrists. Chronic wrist problems can put a huge damper on riding.

I say keep riding if you want an endorsement, but I'm not telling your wife ;) Good luck.

Top Bottom