Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Anyone know when or if it will be broadcast on TV?

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I found it.

Rockstar Energy Drink U.S. Open - Las Vegas, NV
10/20/07 :: 10.20.07: 1:30 PM - 3:00 PM EST
2007 Rockstar Energy Drink U.S. Open from the MGM Grand in Las Vegas, NV on CBS

DieselTech

Always breakin' something
~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
If anyone is willing to tape this (or burn to DVD) I'm willing to pay for it. I don't get CBS (I have Time Warner Cable!), so I'm SOL. I can't believe I pay for cable and can't watch CBS Sports..........

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
DieselTech said:
If anyone is willing to tape this (or burn to DVD) I'm willing to pay for it. I don't get CBS (I have Time Warner Cable!), so I'm SOL. I can't believe I pay for cable and can't watch CBS Sports..........

Perhaps you shouldn't discuss Copyright infringement on an open web forum?

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
IndyYZ85 said:
Perhaps you shouldn't discuss Copyright infringement on an open web forum?

Copyright infringement? I was referring to paying for the BLANK tape or DVD media - there's no law against that. If someone records the US Open on the media (that I paid for) and then gives it to me (even if I pay to have it shipped), that's not copyright infringement. That's a favor. You've never taped a show and then let someone else watch it???

It's not illegal for someone to record a publicly-broadcast video on the media of their choice. It's not illegal for me to pay someone else for a blank VHS or DVD, that they then record said video onto. It's not illegal for me to pay to have it shipped to my house, or Timbuktu, for that matter. Where have I infringed on the copyright laws?

It is however, illegal to use the Honda and Yamaha logos (in your avatar) without the written consent of those two corporations (they are Registered Trademarks).......but I suspect you don't see that as being a problem, right? You DO have written consent, don't you? If not, then delete your avatar.....or just mind your own business.

I'm not trying to be rude, but don't be a hypocrite. Thanks. I just want to see the show, and it pisses me off that I pay for cable tv, and don't get that channel (TWC doesn't have CBS Sports in the line up). Maybe someone could help me out, and why should it be at their expense? I'm offering to cover the expense. I'm not offering to PAY someone to tape it.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
DieselTech said:
Copyright infringement? I was referring to paying for the BLANK tape or DVD media - there's no law against that. If someone records the US Open on the media (that I paid for) and then gives it to me (even if I pay to have it shipped), that's not copyright infringement. That's a favor. You've never taped a show and then let someone else watch it???

It's not illegal for someone to record a publicly-broadcast video on the media of their choice. It's not illegal for me to pay someone else for a blank VHS or DVD, that they then record said video onto. It's not illegal for me to pay to have it shipped to my house, or Timbuktu, for that matter. Where have I infringed on the copyright laws?

It is however, illegal to use the Honda and Yamaha logos (in your avatar) without the written consent of those two corporations (they are Registered Trademarks).......but I suspect you don't see that as being a problem, right? You DO have written consent, don't you? If not, then delete your avatar.....or just mind your own business.

I'm not trying to be rude, but don't be a hypocrite. Thanks. I just want to see the show, and it pisses me off that I pay for cable tv, and don't get that channel (TWC doesn't have CBS Sports in the line up). Maybe someone could help me out, and why should it be at their expense? I'm offering to cover the expense. I'm not offering to PAY someone to tape it.

Sorry dude, you're wrong.

If you notice at the end of those broadcasts, you will see a notice or hear the talking heads make a statement that the broadcast is not to be reproduced.

Similar to buying a CD or DVD and making a copy for your friend, it is copyright infringement.

No, I don't have specific permission to use the Yamaha or Honda logo in my avatar, but I am also not hurting those manufactures by using the logos.

http://www.publaw.com/fairusetrade.html said:
The Lanham Act permits a non-owner of a registered trademark to make "fair use" or "nominative use" of a trademark under certain circumstances without obtaining permission from the mark's owner. The fair use and nominative use defenses are to help ensure that trademark owners do not prohibit the use of their marks when they are used for the purpose of description or identification. Fair use or nominative use may be recognized in those instances where a reader of a given work is clearly able to understand that the use of the trademark does not suggest sponsorship or association with the trademark owner's product or services and therefore is not being used in a manner to confuse the reader.

Generally, the use by an author of a trademark in a fictional work to describe or identify particular goods or services, such as "driving in my Ford", "eating a Hershey bar", "playing with my Beanie Baby" will not be considered an infringement as long as the use does not confuse the reader with respect to who actually owns the trademark. Trademark law also permits an author of a non-fiction work to include content that is favorable and/or critical of a trademark owner's products or services. In this type of work the author should only use the trademark to describe or identify the trademark owner's product or service and should be careful not to confuse the reader as to the actual provider of the trademark owner's products or services.

By recording and distributing a "public" broadcast of a race, you are hurting the producers of that product. You may not see it that way, but I would bet that they do.

I'd love to get Rich's opinion on this..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Someone said:
You're wrong too.

Specifically how?

I updated my last post with an excerpt of the Lanham Act, it seems based on that, I can use those logos without permission, in the way that I am using them.

Someone

Mar 12, 2001
If they don't want you using their logos in any way, you can be sued. Wrong or right, hurting their business or not, that doesn't really matter. Even if they didn't win in court, you would still lose.

I am not saying that it would happen... but I don't think there's anything to worry about sharing a recording with someone either. That same law could apply to recording a show on your DVR or tape, then bringing people over to watch it, or bringing your DVR or tape over to someone else's house. It all depends on how bad they want to hurt you. They make the rules like this so they can do what they want.

All of this is IMO of course.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Someone said:
If they don't want you using their logos in any way, you can be sued. Wrong or right, hurting their business or not, that doesn't really matter. Even if they didn't win in court, you would still lose.

I am not saying that it would happen... but I don't think there's anything to worry about sharing a recording with someone either. That same law could apply to recording a show on your DVR or tape, then bringing people over to watch it, or bringing your DVR or tape over to someone else's house. It all depends on how bad they want to hurt you. They make the rules like this so they can do what they want.

All of this is IMO of course.

Correct. My point is this: don't be a hypocrite. Don't imply (that's what you did, Indy) that I'm attempting to violate copyright law, when you are also possibly violating trademark (copyright) law. It's not your logo; it's not my video; neither of us is any more right or wrong to "use" either of these sources of "media" than the other.

I'll bet everyone has violated (technically) the copyright law at some point in their lives, and didn't even know it. Here's some material I found concerning this:

Copyrighted materials must be "original works of authorship." Original works of writing, music, film, technology, and other creative areas are "intellectual property" that people own and may copyright. Copyrighted works must be recorded in a "fixed" medium. This can be a printed document, audio recording, video, film, or other medium. Although no one may copyright facts or ideas, authors may copyright their expression of them.

Once people record their original works in some "fixed" medium, the works are automatically copyrighted. For enhanced protection, creators may register their works for a small fee at the U.S. Copyright Office.

Currently, the law sets the length of most copyrights to the lifetime of the author plus 70 years (a total of 95 years for movies). After that, the work goes into the public domain and anyone may copy and distribute it.

Copying or distributing copyrighted work without permission is called "copyright infringement." The copyright owner may sue an infringer in civil court for lost sales and other money damages. In addition, the government may prosecute infringers in criminal court for violating U.S. copyright laws.

Courts have long recognized a "fair use" exception to copyright law. For example, over the years courts ruled that individuals may copy limited amounts of copyrighted material for critical reviews, news reporting, research, and teaching. Congress wrote the concept of fair use into the 1976 Copyright Act. Congress noted that no clear definition of fair use is "possible, and each case raising the question must be decided on its own facts." The law gives courts four factors to consider in determining whether something is fair use:

(1) The purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of a commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes.

(2) The nature of the copyrighted work.

(3) The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole.

(4) The effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

Indy, pay particular attention to the bolded text. IF CBS were to take me to court for violation of the copyright law, and I explained the circumstances - that it was a publicly-aired show that I asked someone else to record for me on a DVD or VHS that I paid for, and then I paid to have it sent to me (and I see this as no different than you asking a friend across town to record a show for you, and then you driving over to pick it up so you could watch it later), it was only used for my own private viewing, and there was no profit involved, not to mention that it's not available on DVD/VHS anyway, then I think I'd be found not guilty of violation. Same goes for your use of Honda/Yamaha logos. Which brings me back to my original statement. Don't be a hypocrite.

And just for the record, everyone's opinion has the same value, regardless of who they are. Unless, of course, they are the Judge presiding over a legal case. Then the Judge's opinion DOES matter more than anyone else's.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
My point was not to chastise you for violating copyright. I could care less.

My point was, I don't think it's right for you to discuss it here. This is not the place for it.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
So, this forum is not the place for me to ask someone for something? Be it advice, help with my bike, or even if they might be taping a race I want to see but can't, and if they'd be willing to share it with me - at no cost to them (and no profit, I might add)? If my original post had not included any reference to money, would you have chimed in so quickly?

MY POINT is that YOU can't chastise ME without being a hypocrite. And I'm right about that, as I've already shown. Additionally, I'd like to point out, that you are NOT a Moderator, so your opinion of what is "right" or "wrong" for me to post on these forums means zilch to me, hence why I told you to mind your own business. Being a Support Team member doesn't mean you are any closer to being a Mod than I am - I could become an STM with a few clicks also. I also was not discussing copyright infringement UNTIL you came along, yet your original post accused me of such. Please understand Indy, this is not personal - but every time I see someone making a post that adds NOTHING to the discussion (like flaming someone for not using the Search function), well, it bothers me. I don't like it when people act like a hypocrite either.

It really doesn't matter - nobody here has offered to send me a video, so I'll just wait and hope that it comes out on DVD or something. BTW, if you really didn't think that this was the place for me to "discuss copyright infringement", why didn't you just report my post to a Mod so they could handle it? And if you couldn't care less about it, why did you go through so much trouble to defend your position after I pointed out your avatar's use of copyright/trademark material? I think I've made my point. Again. Have a nice day. :)

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
I have to disagree.. I have also shown why my use is not wrong, but your's still is not, in my opinion.

I paid my 39 bucks, that gives me all the right I need to make it my business.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Spoiler!

Soooo anyways, How about reeds heroic smile showing off his arm to Erin! And has there been any time that I missed where the 125, lites class has won races against 250,national bikes? This has been the first and second time in the last 2 events! I have watched the lap times before and thought, but it has happened!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
kx__ken said:
How about Mike Larocco kicking a$$ on a 2 stroke? That was the highlight for me.
:cool: ....... I missed the tv broadcast, he did well in the "big bike" class?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
I was wondering if that was an EG? And I bet it sounded awesome! JE, smoke another a bowl, it will be alright! And who was at fault in the main first corner, CR or TF? CR took out TF, in my opinion! CR probably got clay in his mangina, he will have issues for a while, that did look like a 3rd degree burn on his arm.

DieselTech

~SPONSOR~
Jan 21, 2007
Yeah, wish I could've seen all that....

As far as Reedy goes, he probably pushed too hard trying to win the $250k. I'm not surprised at all that RV did as well as he did, even on a 250f. It is, after all, 90% rider and 10% bike, and that kid can ride! I really can't wait to see him move up to the 450 and challenge Stewart - and I'm betting Stewart will have his hands full.

2 strokes rock.......four stroke bikes secretly dream of losing 2 strokes and becoming a smoker....... =)

cavy986

Apr 1, 2005
IndyYZ85 said:
Sorry dude, you're wrong.

If you notice at the end of those broadcasts, you will see a notice or hear the talking heads make a statement that the broadcast is not to be reproduced.

Similar to buying a CD or DVD and making a copy for your friend, it is copyright infringement.

No, I don't have specific permission to use the Yamaha or Honda logo in my avatar, but I am also not hurting those manufactures by using the logos.

By recording and distributing a "public" broadcast of a race, you are hurting the producers of that product. You may not see it that way, but I would bet that they do.

I'd love to get Rich's opinion on this..

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
DieselTech said:
Yeah, wish I could've seen all that....

As far as Reedy goes, he probably pushed too hard trying to win the $250k. I'm not surprised at all that RV did as well as he did, even on a 250f. It is, after all, 90% rider and 10% bike, and that kid can ride! I really can't wait to see him move up to the 450 and challenge Stewart - and I'm betting Stewart will have his hands full.

2 strokes rock.......four stroke bikes secretly dream of losing 2 strokes and becoming a smoker....... =)

Reed definitely was pushing hard.. and crashed 3 times in that race.

RV didn't run the open... He's out with a broken collarbone.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Missed you at dirt today Indy! Windy, but I got to ride a 95 kx500, It was frigging awesome! Anybody got the money for the fastest off road bike made, get the KX500 AF! It will blow the CR in the weeds! Seen any vids of RV's crash?

Top Bottom