KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
Well... My bike is in for the winter, and its a 2003 KDX200. its a littl eover a year old. I have just about all of it apart, and I pulled off one of those things on the sied eof th emotor that says KIPS on it, the left one... and there was all spooge on it. I good layer of it all around. the whole thing was PITCH BLACK, and had that KDX smell. Is this a bad thing? Is it normal? What do i do to fix this if it is not normal. BTW... Stock jetting, FMF Powercore 2 silencer (shortened), and airbox mod. Thanks for your help, and hopefully this is nothing major.

wibby

Mod Ban
Mar 15, 2003
If your mechanical skills are any better than your typing skills you could take the head off and clean your KIPS! ;)

spazmoid??????

Last edited:

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Normal? One year old and full of goo?

Maybe my '00 resonator that has nothing in it is the (yep!) spazmoid?

Nah....

But...we've been here before...over and over. The effects (some of them) of ignoring what's been said is evidenced by what you see in the helmholtz resonator.

EG says the way to get rid of such goo is to have your cylinder tanked.

BUT..the goo wouldn't be there, or certainly be there to a much less degree if you bothered jetting your bike.

.....but like I said......you've heard that before......and before THAT too......

Last edited:

KDXFreestyle

Damn Yankees
Nov 19, 2002
you guys are right. this winter, well for next year, Im having beefking come over and show me how to jet my bike for the mods Im doing motorwise. (pipe and reeds). yes... My mechanical skills are pretty good, and sadly, im good with computers too. Just I type to fast, and never re check my spelling.

louis

Sep 2, 2002
In for the winter!!!!!!!!!! Sounds like a aa a a macho HD rider. Pull the jug clean all the kips parts,jet'er & ride.

KDXNick

~SPONSOR~
Oct 15, 2002
Listen to Kelseybrent! My riding buddies and I have always concidered myself a fairly decent mechanic. I have done complete rebuilds on every one of the big 4 brands (except honda) and KTM's. I checked out that link for amusement, only to find myself revisiting the finer points of two-stroke mechanical science, which refreshed many of my forgotten and misunderstood conceptions pertaining to the chemical/physical/mechanical processes of modern two-stroke engines. Reviewing this link, and the three additonal links (on two-stroke ICEs) which it includes, would benifit 95% of us. It pertains to every basic 2-stroke concept involved between fuel/ jetting issues, to the physical/ chemical varriables that are manipulated by aftermarket exhaust systems. I never would have thought that my basic conceptual knowlage of two-stroke/ KIPS systems could benifit from this seemingly apparent. basic review.
PS- Every time the snow is too deep for studded trellbergs, clean the KIPS and replace the rings/top end gaskets; its keeps the bottom-top transition crisp, clean, and linear.
-Nick

Top Bottom