Ultimate decision BATTLE: 200e/xc VS. 250e/xc

IDkTm

Jul 12, 2000
Re: Decisions decisions

Originally posted by XREnduroKid
bunch of questions:
How fast is the top speed of the 200 and 250?
How much more bottom doest he 250 have? I ride a XR, i'm used to luggin it, can i lug a 200 or do i need to spend the extra dough for a 250?
Kind of expensive but am i gonna wish i had the 250?
I don't want to have to use the clutch pretty much at all.
Is the 250 bottom out of control, or is it smooth?
Is it as nimble in the tight woods as my XR? Thanks.

1. Top Speed on my 250 is WAY fast IMO. I'd say in 4th gear on the KTM I can go faster than waht 6th on an XR 250 is.
2.The 250 is luggable. There is alot of bottom end power.
3.I have no idea on 3.
4.The bottom end power is very smooth IMO. There is alot of it but I (almost) always feel in control.
5.In the tight stuff it is more nimble than an XR 250. The better steering and suspension really help out. The most fun I've had on mine is riding tight singletrack.

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
POWER

I was coming off of a WR400 when I bought my bike. I loved the power of the 400 four stroke but I was tired of throwing all of that weight around during harescambles. So like you, I was afraid I would miss the power and controllability of the 400 4-stroke. I did have to adjust my riding style to the 2-stroke because the power is a little more abrupt, but I have never been lacking for power since I switched to the 200exc. I did have a little trouble climbing technical hills at first because that 400 would pull itself up everything. The WR made a lazy rider out of me. The 200 has forced me to be in a good riding position all of the time and ride more aggressively at times. I am now considerably faster, I tire less (because the 200 is so nimble) and I have a lot more fun when I go riding. The adaptation time was minimal.

If I can go from the WR400 and not miss the power, but rather think the switch was the best decision I ever made, then I doubt you will miss that XR250 a bit. As of now, I don't intend to ever own anything besides a KTM 200exc. I am very satisfied with my bike.

Good luck, you've been given some excellent advice on this forum from both the 250 and 200 riders. It's time to look at the facts make a decision and not look back. I'll bet either way you go, you will think you bought the best bike in the world. KTM's rock!!

Neal

drz mick

Jun 2, 2001
Blew my mind yesterday ! (Not hard!!!)
Rode a demo KTM200 EXC at a UK dealer. I was a little sceptical about it being only 200cc but don't let that fool you at all.....
The bike is very light weight compared to my DRZ400.
The acceleration was like a rocket ship. It seemed to skip over dips in the ground my DRZ would be getting out of shape over. It lifted the front wheel at will and sometimes it appeared to be doing it without me noticing.
Climbed fine but decending was trickier-you need to use the rear brake which the 4-stroke engine braking covered before. I am a straight convert.
Someone told me it brings the fun back to biking. Very true.
It is a little strange at first but if I quickly adapted so will you !
Beware the KTM dealer says the 250 is now 'old hat' and due for a major revamp as per a previous posting.

darwin_rider

Jun 11, 2001
Monkey Butt, some questions for u

Hey Monkey Butt,

I got some questions for u as well. I currently have a 1999 wr400f but am thinking of changing to a ktm200exc. I am a pretty small rider and find the heavy wr400 a bit too much sometime. So how much do u have to be changing gears on the 200. I know on the wr u can torque it around or leave it in gear until it hits the rev limiter. I worry if the wr is limiting me in my riding ability and want to get a lighter, smaller bike. If u could push a wr400 to its limits u would be a real good rider. Also i see that the 200exc comes with a real big restrictive looking muffler. Have u changed this? Also what other mods are needed for the 200.

THanks Jason

Monkey Butt

Jun 1, 2000
Hi darwin

I'm only 5'8" and about 165 pounds myself. I've always considered myself pretty strong for my size but like you, the WR wore me out when riding hard in tight woods. I feel like my riding ability improved almost over night, and my riding buddies have noticed the difference also.

You do have to shift more often on the 200 but it doesn't bother me a bit. I don't feel like it is excessive by any means. The 200 has so much low end power that I usually ride it a gear high, especially on slick hard pack. Even a gear high, it has plenty of snap, but if you want more just touch the clutch and away you go.

The stock exhaust on the 200 is quite good. You definately don't need to plan on changing the exhaust right away. It can always be customized to suit you but it is a real good exhaust system. The only draw back is that the stock silencer weighs about 5.5 pounds. I personally did not plan on spending any money on the exhaust but I found a deal I couldn't pass up. I bought a used stock 200 exhasust to customize for $40.00. Mike Lafferty and others have cut the spark arrestor out of the stock exhaust and shortened the silencer by about 5-6 inches. I modidified the one I bought, but my broken finger hasn't allowed me to try it yet. It's suppose to give it even better bottom end plus you shave 2-3 pounds off.

Other mods that you should consider are guards, such as; hand, pipe, skid plate and clutch slave. The stock handlebars are as good as Renthals and the chain and sprockets are also top notch as well as the wheels.

Selling the WR and buying my 200 is the best move I made. No regrets.

Neal

Rod Grove

Feb 21, 2001
Hey Monkey Butt (head) hehehe, I crack myself up! You forgot to mention that your Ktm beats youre old wr off the line every time. I would recomend the 200 over the heavy 4 stroke to you smaller guys all day long. Monkey Butt is not kidding about his riding really improving with the ktm. If he falls down on a hill he just picks it up and carries it and still has energy to start it and finish the race.;) (just kidding) If I wasnt 6 3 and needed the seat to foot peg clearance I would have one myself. Good job Neal. Rod

Top Bottom