Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Lucas Oil AMA Pro Motocross Championship
Rockstar Energy Unadilla National
Unadilla Valley Sports Center
August 14, 2010
Round 9 of 12

450 Class (Moto Finish)

Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki (1-1)
Clement Desalle, Belgium, Suzuki (2-2)
Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda (5-3)
Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda (4-5)
Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda (8-6)
Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda (7-9)
Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha (9-8)
Justin Brayton, Fort Dodge, Iowa, Yamaha (11-7)
Josh Grant, Riverside, Fla., Yamaha (6-14)
Tommy Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Suzuki (10-11)

450 Class Championship Standings

Ryan Dungey, Belle Plaine, Minn., Suzuki, 418
Andrew Short, Smithville, Texas, Honda, 307
Brett Metcalfe, Australia, Honda, 293
Josh Grant, Riverside, Calif., Yamaha, 260
Ben Townley, New Zealand, Honda, 249
Mike Alessi, Victorville, Calif., KTM, 235
Chad Reed, Australia, Kawasaki, 204
Kyle Regal, Kemp, Texas, Honda, 185
Kyle Chisholm, Valrico, Fla., Yamaha, 183
Ryan Sipes, Flaherty, Texas, Yamaha, 181

250 Class (Moto Finish)

Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda (1-2)
Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda (3-5)
Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki (6-3)
Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki (5-4)
Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda (2-9)
Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda (4-6)
Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki (38-1)
Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha (10-8)
Matt Lemoine, Collinsville, Texas, Suzuki (8-12)
Wil Hahn, Decatur, Texas, Honda (14-11)

250 Class Championship Standings

Christophe Pourcel, France, Kawasaki, 365
Trey Canard, Shawnee, Okla., Honda, 349
Dean Wilson, Scotland, Kawasaki, 329
Tyla Rattray, South Africa, Kawasaki, 320
Justin Barcia, Ochlocknee, Ga., Honda, 248
Blake Wharton, Pilot Point, Texas, Honda, 243
Eli Tomac, Cortez, Colo., Honda, 233
Broc Tickle, Holly, Mich., Yamaha, 209
Jake Weimer, Rupert, Idaho, Kawasaki, 195
Martin Davalos, Ecuador, Yamaha, 187

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Any word on why JBS pulled off in Moto 2? I think he was in about 11th place, after a 3rd in Moto 1.

And we have a real battle shaping up in the 250 class, after Pourcel goes DNF-1 and Canard has a good day.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Yeah, I ride Suzukis. But... I'd like Dungey even if he rode a Harley.
I think he's a good rep for our sport... he shows respect to his fellow riders, therefore earns respect for himself, he's a class act and his self discipline combined with natural talent, good work ethic and maturity shines a positive light on the dirtbike community.

I think he proved "There's a new man in town" at the Dilla. :cool:

Stewart may beat him in the next few rounds, but same old JS... blazing fast for a lap or two, but he lacks consistency and perseverance. Too bad.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
I think he proved "There's a new man in town" at the Dilla. :cool:

I'm a big a Dungey fan but give James a few rounds to get up to speed and get his bike sorted and it may be a different story.

2-Strokes 4-ever said:
Stewart may beat him in the next few rounds, but same old JS... blazing fast for a lap or two, but he lacks consistency and perseverance. Too bad.

You do realize this is a guy that went 24-0 the last time he signed up for the outdoor series right? :|

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
Any word on why JBS pulled off in Moto 2? I think he was in about 11th place, after a 3rd in Moto 1.

And we have a real battle shaping up in the 250 class, after Pourcel goes DNF-1 and Canard has a good day.
Actually when he dropped out I thought the ticker across the top listed him in 22nd (could be mistaking and that was after he dropped out). Either way I don't think he was ready yet for 2 motos stamina wise and if he was in a contention spot may have pushed on but from back there saw the hopelessness and fiured to avoid an injury

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Stewart just didn't have it. I guess 18 months away will do that to ya. I thought there might be a battle in the first moto but it never happened, JS stuffed Desalle at the bottom of the screw you for second (Keith got it on video!) but then crashed latter on but I never saw it. When you're at the track you never see everything that happens.:( Desalle was ON THE GAS though.

The 250's were a much better race and Canard has proven why this should be his championship. Mr. Consistent. I do have to give it up for Pourcell in the 2nd moto. With 3-4 laps to go he had 8 seconds to make up...and then proceeded to make them up. When he passed Canard on the last half of the last lap everyone when crazy. Damn good race.

BTW, Keith and I may have accidentally gotten on TV during the 250 race :ohmy:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
You could see Canard coming this year...

RM_guy nailed it, JS will need a few rounds to get up to speed; too much time away, no matter how much he practices.

I still believe the Yamaha is a problem for JS, he has never seemed comfortable on it, he's not looked as fast as he did on the KX, IMHO.

How about KDub! Said it was one of the worst get-off's of his career in moto 1, came back to top 5 in the second.... proof that talent and smarts can compete with youth afterall :)

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah, I didn't think Kevin was going to be in the 2nd moto and then we see him right up front! He's amazing.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Not only did K-Dub get a 4th, he hunted down top Honda factory rider Short for the position.

Short is having a pretty disappointing season, IMO. I used to think he might have championship potential.

I did not DVR the race, but I think JBS was about 15th on the start in Moto 2, and slowly worked up to 11th+- as shown on the crawl on the top of the screen.

I'm thinking part of the problem is JBS just does not enjoy outdoor MX any more. If he truly loved working his tail off to do 2 x 30+2, he would have been out there last year instead of signing an SX only deal. He's got the talent, but may have lost the desire. Strictly speculation on my part.

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
Disappointed they didn't catch Kevin's crash on camera (or if they did, i missed it). I know James said after the race that he was struggling with bike set up so that would be my guess as to why he pulled off.

Fourth one down http://twitter.com/js7

"Well That went about to plan execpt for moto 2. But I gave it my all and I'm healthy. Bike setup was wayyyy off but we'll keep trying"

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
His bike setup was good enough to be fastest in qualifying, and to run 2nd for most of Moto 1.

Seems to me he has his speed back, but not his cardio.

Dungey will probably clinch the title next round. I think Ryan will keep the hammer down after the clinches, and try to run the table. So if JBS wants to take an overall in 2010, he better work long and hard on his, ummm, 'bike setup'.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
dirt bike dave said:
So if JBS wants to take an overall in 2010, he better work long and hard on his, ummm, 'bike setup'.
:rotfl: :nod:

I think Tiger Woods might be having some 'bike setup' issues with his game as well. :)

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
Too bad about Stewart but any pro should be ready no matter how much time off he had. I feel the race is not a good place to "see" where you are at. I believe the bike does not suit him and he underestimated his endurance. Not what I'd expect of him. Of course these are all opinions and I'm not a professional racer. I wonder how many 30 plus minute motos he ran prior to this?

01HondaCR

May 31, 2001
I agree, something is up to do so well first moto and then fall off second moto. Common sense would say it is a fitness issue but i was just showing what he said personally.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I'm most likely going too deep here for this thread. I'm fascinated with psychology and view JS in that light.
After seeing a few episodes of "Bubba's World", I believe that JS's overly aggressive father is JS's main motivation... SX, MX is the only relationship they have and JS is trying to earn his father's acceptance. James appears to want to "escape" from his dad's pressure to me. I think JS is quickly on his way to burn-out. Perhaps Dungey's success will re-motivate James, but I don't think it'll last long. James often rides over his head when pressured because the "need to succeed" layed on him by his dad is just too much for him to handle. So many years of a hectic schedule, so many injuries, so much "missing out" on a more normal childhood, and now so much money... I don't think he'll be a strong presence much longer.
Why do I think this? It's a carbon copy of the way I fathered my older son. And I know this view of mine is perhaps too "lovey-dovey" for us macho dirtbike guys, but I still believe it to be true.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
2-Strokes 4-ever said:
And I know this view of mine is perhaps too "lovey-dovey" for us macho dirtbike guys, but I still believe it to be true.

I don't think so, it depends on who you are. I had my sons riding early but when they could hold a wrench I showed them how to do a top end, swing arms, etc. My point is that I wanted independent kids that could think for themselves becasue I had no interest in pushing them thru the races for the hardware. I'm pretty sure JBS's dad was a tad opposite and had most everything done for his star pupil and pushed him a little. I was at Englishtown in 99 and between motos James ran around with an entourage of kids in tow. They looked like your typical group of kids playing in a sandbox (yeah he was a lttile older than that). When the motos came up his dad would have him on the line and it was time to win at all costs. After the races I was out in the parking field and here comes James and dad to their cheap little rental junker. I went over and said Hi. They were just a couple of regular dudes. Times change and so do expectations that you impose on yourself (from others).

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Too bad about Stewart? Didn't he quit outdoors because he was "tired" and the tracks were too rough?

Wussed out if you ask me. Never heard the GOAT complain about stuff like that in his prime.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
dirt bike dave said:
Short is having a pretty disappointing season, IMO. I used to think he might have championship potential.

Me too - and it doesn't look like he's ever going to run at Dungey/Stewart pace.

However, I'll take a season where only one guy is in front of me and everyone else is more disappointed than I am . . . Shorty is in 2nd place in the standings, after all. He's a LONG way back, but 2nd's nothing to sneeze at.

Wasn't this supposed to be Alessi's year? Like him or not, he's the one I think is most disappointing of the top 10.

Personally I think Mike's alright - his dad is a nutcase and I think Mike would be far better off dumping dad from his program - and Mike would probably be more likeable then, too.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
01HondaCR said:
Disappointed they didn't catch Kevin's crash on camera (or if they did, i missed it). I know James said after the race that he was struggling with bike set up so that would be my guess as to why he pulled off.

Fourth one down http://twitter.com/js7

"Well That went about to plan execpt for moto 2. But I gave it my all and I'm healthy. Bike setup was wayyyy off but we'll keep trying"

Excuses, excuses. . . I thought speed was 95% rider and 5% bike.

I don't have a factory mechanic changing everything at my whim - and I bet most of you don't either. I pretty much use the bike as it is and deal with it - works pretty good in most conditions. How in the world does the bike set up get WAAYYYY off when you've ridden at the top level for years and you have a pro mechanic, suspension guy, etc. . .? I mean, come on.

Stewart is so naturally fast, I bet he could get a top 5 on a stock bike with a bit of suspension work - IF he was in shape.

After all, isn't Stewart the guy who smoked 250f's on a 125?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
Not the Stewart I had hoped to see show up. A glimpse? Give him more time, a pro, been broke before. I really hope he is not going down with the Reed virus. Dungey is going in the books, and in a pretty big way. The lites race was great, again. All of them can win, the top 10 easy, but Pourcel is something different. Him and Canard in the 450 class this winter, almost makes sx desirable! Vintage Bob

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
New blood and old guys coming back, this winter is going to be outstanding, race wise. Then we shall see if Dungey can keep that number 1 plate/deserved it? OR, he really deserves being in there with McGrath and the likes? Still on the fence, Vintage Bob

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
whenfoxforks-ruled said:
this winter is going to be outstanding, race wiseVintage Bob

Umm, maybe...seems like eveytime I think this summer (or winter) is going to be outstanding someone gets injured, goes to jail, or just decides to take a vacation. Maybe it'll be outstanding but I'm not holding my breath. At least it's a way to pass the time until spring. :p

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
I'm thinking Dungey has proven he's a major force outdoors, but if JS can keep it on two wheels (his big issue) indoors he'll be hard to hang with.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Dungey will be the defending SX champ and by the time the next SX season starts, he will have won 4 titles in a row (Lites SX, Lites MX, Big boy SX & MX).

IMO Dungey will give a healthy JBS all he can handle in SX.

Top Bottom